Search for content in message boards

Thorne/Warren

Thorne/Warren

Rhian Wood (View posts)
Posted: 1057400751000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Thorne/Warren
Hello I have received the marriage certificate of Maria Thorne & John Warren, they were married on the 1/1/1853 in Cornwall, but were beleived to have come from South Moulton, Devon. John was a Railway Labourer & was 21 years old, his fathers name was William & was a farmer Maria was 23 years old & her fathers name was Jacob & was a Yeoman, both Maria & John were living at Redruth at the time of their marriage & both signed their own name.

Do anyone recognise these names, if so I will look forward to hearing from you. Thank you

Re: Thorne/Warren

Posted: 1057432506000
Edited: 1121891917000
The 1851 Devon census shows:
Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
Ann WARREN Head W 53 F Pauper Spinner In Factory Throwbridge-Som
John WARREN Son U 20 M Farmers Servant South Molton-Dev
William WARREN Son U 15 M Woolcomber South Molton-Dev
James WARREN Son U 12 M Scholar South Molton-Dev
Thomas WARREN Son U 9 M Scholar South Molton-Dev
Elizabeth WARREN Daur - 6 F Scholar South Molton-Dev
Ann BOWDEN Daur M 22 F Home Loom Weaver Serge South Molton-Dev
John BOWDEN GSon - 1 M --- South Molton-Dev
Mary BRIDGMAN GDau - 3 F --- South Molton-Dev
Address: East Street, South Molton
Census Place: South Molton South Molton, Devonshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/1891 Folio: 484 Page: 26 FHL Film: 0221042

and:

Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
Jacob THORNE Head M 50 M Farmer of 100 Acres Employing 1 Lab Highbray-Dev
Maria THORNE Wife M 48 F --- Bratton Fleming-Dev
Mary THORNE Daur U 28 F Farmer's Daughter North Molton-Dev
Maria THORNE Daur U 21 F Farmer's Daughter North Molton-Dev
John THORNE Son - 13 M Employed on the Farm Highbray-Dev
William THORNE Son - 10 M Scholar Highbray-Dev
Ann THORNE GDau - 1 F --- North Molton-Dev
Thomas COCKINGS Serv U 15 M Farm Labourer Highbray-Dev
Address: West Yard, Barnstaple
Census Place: Highbray Barnstaple, Devonshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/1892 Folio: 377 Page: 7 FHL Film: 0221043

Rhian Wood (View posts)
Posted: 1057497545000
Hello Deborah,

Thank you for sending the info about Jacob & Maria Thorne, To me they seam like the right family, I deducted Maria's age & it fits in with her marriage age, this is great. I still don't think the Warrens are the same ones as mine because John Warrens father was still alive when John got married in 1853 but there again Ann is the correct name for his mother & the age for John is about correct, it states that John was a farmers servant in the 1851 census but when he got married in 1853 he was then a railway labourer. Its got Ann as head but it doesn't say anything about her being a widow, could the husband be still alive but not living at that address ? the more I look at it the more I think it could be the same family.

Are these your ansestors too ?
Anyway thank you ever so much for helping me, you have helped a lot by making it a lot clearer for me to trace back further. Thank you Rhian

Rhian Wood (View posts)
Posted: 1057499324000
Hello

Sorry I've just looked at the information that I had from the IGI site & it states that William had died in 1844 but what confused me was that on John & Maria's marriage certificate they got William down as a farmer but havent put the word deseased by the side of it like they have done with other ansestors that I am tracing.

Thank you Deborah

Posted: 1057499703000
How do you know that William WARREN was alive in 1853? Did he sign the marriage certificate as Father? The term deceased was not always written on marriage certs.
As to the Ann I showed - she is described as a widow.
The IGI shows a family born to William WARREN & Ann HOBBS at South Molton:
Maria 1 Dec 1823
Sarah 20 Jun 1825
Ann 21 Feb 1829
John 28 Apr 1831, died 1880
William 15 Nov 1835
James 12 Nov 1838
Thomas 3 Jun 1834 and
Elizabeth 19 Apr 1844.
( I suspect these should be baptism dates, and will need verifying with the original Parish registers)
This certainly ties in with the 1851 census entry:
Ann WARREN Head W 53 F Pauper Spinner In Factory Throwbridge-Som
John WARREN Son U 20 M Farmers Servant South Molton-Dev
William WARREN Son U 15 M Woolcomber South Molton-Dev
James WARREN Son U 12 M Scholar South Molton-Dev
Thomas WARREN Son U 9 M Scholar South Molton-Dev
Elizabeth WARREN Daur - 6 F Scholar South Molton-Dev
Ann BOWDEN Daur M 22 F Home Loom Weaver Serge South Molton-Dev
John BOWDEN GSon - 1 M --- South Molton-Dev
Mary BRIDGMAN GDau - 3 F --- South Molton-Dev
Address: East Street, South Molton
Census Place: South Molton South Molton, Devonshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/1891 Folio: 484 Page: 26 FHL Film: 0221042

William WARREN married Ann HOBBS 26 Feb 1821 at South Molton. He was baptised 24 Jan 1797 at South Molton to William WARREN & Ann UPHAM, who married there 25 Dec 1786.

The 1861 census for South Molton shows:
RG9/1496 Folio 29 page 12
Schedule 72 East Street
William WARREN Head Married 25 Woolcomber b. So Molton
Mary WARREN Wife Marr. 26 b. So. Molton
William H. WARREN Son 4 b. So. Molton
Lucy WARREN Dau 10mos. b. So. Molton

- this family seems a little young for yours. Where would they have been in 1861? I'll check for them if you let me know. Where did they get married by the way?

More in 1861 - Thorne/Warren

Posted: 1057500462000
Oops, made a mistake, I gave you John's brother, WiIliam in the 1861. I didn't find john in 1861 in So. Molton. I also found the mother Ann in 1861:
RG9/1486 Folio 7 page 8
Schedule 48 East Street, So. Molton
Ann WARREN Head Wid 67 Working at Woollen Factory, b. South Molton (? Error?)
Ann BOWDEN Dau Marr 32 Working at woollen factory, husband gone, a soldier b. So. Molton
Jane BOWDEN Gdau 9 Scholar b. So. Molton
William BOWDEN Gson 8 Scholar b. So. Molton
Harriett BOWDEN Gdau 4 Scholar b. So. Molton
James BOWDEN Gson 1 Scholar b. So. Molton
Elizabeth WARREN Dau S 17 Working at Woollen Factory b. So. Molton

Rhian Wood (View posts)
Posted: 1057500619000
John Warren & Maria were married in Cornwall in the district of Redruth they were living in a place called East end, thats where their daugter Susan was born in the same year, they have for fathers name & surname a William Warran & then farmer as the occupation.

Lookin now at the 1851 census I can now see W next to Ann's name I didn't see it before.

I've also got John down as dying in 1880, the dates you have put for his parents I also have, on the IGI site it goes back to John's Gr. Grandparents.

I've just looked at that site for the marriage of Jacob & Maira & it says this Jacob married Maria Courtis on the 13 mar 1822 at Bratton Fleming Devon, the same as on the 1851 census.

I was so excited to see what you sent me I didn't read tidy.

Thank you once again

Re: More in 1861 - Thorne/Warren

Rhian Wood (View posts)
Posted: 1057854796000
Hello Deborah,

Sorry to bother you again, with reference to the Thorne family, can I ask you, were these found in the 1851 census, I am asking because up above the entries it has this HO/107/1891 no: & I wasn't sure if the 1891 was the date.

Thank you
Rhian

Posted: 1058445739000
Confusing isn't it? No, this was from the 1851 census - the HO107/1891 refers to the piece number within the national system. It just coincidentally happens to be 1891 - could have been 1893 or anything.
Deborah

Rhian Wood (View posts)
Posted: 1058469308000
Thank you Deborah,

It is a bit confusing, I wouldn't have noticed it, but I printed out what you sent then I e-mailed them to my father & he was the one that asked about it.

I got on to this site called A2A catalogue it is part of the pro gov site I thought if he had a farm then he may have left a will, there was a Jacob Thorne from South Moulton who had left a will in 1857 ( also on the Freebmd site I found a Jacob Thorne who had died in that same year & Place, same person ? ) but it turned out that he left everything to his other family & not to his children or wife, so I don't know if this is the right person but it also turns out that the woman who e-mailed me back that works there, said that she had some info on a marriage between Jacob & Maria Courtis, so yesterday my father sent a letter to them with a cheque.

So thank you for giving me all this information you have helped a lot.

Thank you
Rhian
per page

Find a board about a specific topic