Search for content in message boards

My mother's dying wish - to find her ancestry! Can you help me?

My mother's dying wish - to find her ancestry! Can you help me?

Posted: 1489575632000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1489614172000
Surnames: Mulheren, Mulheron, Mulhern, Mulherin
My Mom is not doing well, with COPD and emphysema.... and her dying wish is to find where her ancestors came from in Ireland. Without being an Ancestry member, I can't seem to find much.

William J Mulheren (also spelled Mulhern and Muleron here and there, but Mulheren on the grave stones) is her grandfather, born 1892, died 1972 in Latrobe, PA.
His father, William J. Mulheren Sr. was born 1865 and died 1926. Only a mother, Anna, listed on death certificate. The death cert. says he was born in Dublin, but we do not believe that to be the case based on some census records.

Can anyone help me go from there?
Also, William J. Mulheren Sr.'s wife, Katherine (Kate) Keibler or Kiebler, just disappeared from radar. I found a news clipping from 1924 that references their divorce and that's all I find.

You would be MY HERO if you could assist in ANY way! It is a dream of mine to be able to piece all this together for my mother, before she passes away. I've been trying for years and just can't get any further with the free information provided and cannot afford an Ancestry membership to assist me.

Thank you immensely!!

Re: My mother's dying wish - to find her ancestry! Can you help me?

Posted: 1489608027000
All census records are available for free on FamilySearch.org, as are many other records. The 1880 census shows William Sr. living with his mother Anna and grandmother Bridget. Anna is listed as single, and it appears that William was born out of wedlock.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MWFJ-YXW

And here they are in 1870:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZPZ-WGT

Assuming they were Catholic, I would suggest contacting the Catholic Church in Blairsville to see if they have any old baptism or other records that might shed any light on this family.

Steve

Posted: 1489609504000
Edited: 1489611118000
to help others to help you.
as indicated in post above
1870 blairsville indiana county pa
Bridget Mulhern F 55 Ireland
Anna Mulhern F 28 Ireland
John Mulhern M 19 Ireland
Wm Mahn M 4 Pennsylvania
1880 burrell indiana pa
Ann Mulharen Self F 39 Ireland
Bridget Mulharen Mother F 69 Ireland has paralysis, is a pauper born abt 810
William Mulharen Son M 14 Pennsylvania appears to be the wm mahn of above.
wm not nesc illegitmate-mulharen could be ann married name, and bridget her mos law. use census to accumulate info, but they arent always as they seem.

1900 blairsville
William Mulheren Head M 35 Pennsylvania b dec 1865 rr brakeman
Kate Mulheren Wife F 28 Pennsylvania wed 9 yrs july 1872
William Mulheren Son M 8 Pennsylvania april 1892
Emma Mulheren Daughter F 6 Pennsylvania june 1894
Joseph Keibler Brother-in-law M 26 Pennsylvania, so keibler assumed kates maiden name, but not proven. day laborer b pa apr 1874

1910 blairsvlle ward 3 indiana county pa
Annie Mullieson Head F 76 Ireland indexed as mullieson as it is hard to read, but it is mulheren. says she is a widow. came here 1846, had 1 child who is still alive.
Michael Mcdermitt Nephew M y Pennsylvania ireland ireland
William Mulheren Grandson M 18 Pennsylvania
William Mulheren Son M 44 Pennsylvania cigar roller married

Posted: 1489614400000
Some census records will provide the year of immigration and whether or not the person has been naturalized. That information can lead you to Ship Arrival records and immigration and naturalization records.

As already noted if they are (or were) Catholic Ancestry added Irish Parish records not long ago --- that is how I found the town (and townland) my Irish ancestors were from.

Since then I've found autosomal DNA matches who are from the same town as my ancestors.

Joan

Posted: 1489622566000
this is from ancestry, in the indiana democrat county news. i have no way to know if this is your bridget.
15 feb 1894 thursday
at her home in east end, blairsville, mrs bridget mulheren aged abt 90 (would be the right age anyway) interred in the catholic cemetery on thursday
and findagrave has this, so it seems it was the thursday past, making her death date approx 3 feb.
Name: Bridget Mulheren
Death Date: 6 Feb 1894
Cemetery: Saints Simon and Jude Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Blairsville, Indiana County, Pennsylvania, USA
try to get bridgets death cert from blairsville, or indiana county.

i am sure u have seen the williams at latrobe cemeterys. wm sr death cert signed by his son, who did not know who his grandfather was. but if wm sr knew, it should be on his marriage records. that may be why his birth place is given as dublin, ireland, his son was guessing, or knew that the family was from there.

clue-indiana democrat paper. 31 jan 1923. in his will, dated aug 19, 1920, michael mcdermott, late of blairsville, bequeths his estate to his cousin, william mulherron, who is appointed executor.

pennsylvania death certificatesName: Michael McDermott died of acute alcoholism, bilateral pneumonia
janitor Race: White Age: 59 Birth Date: abt 1863
Birth Place: Pennsylvania
Death Date: 13 Dec 1922 Death Place: Blairsville, Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA
Father: Michael McDermott Mother: Katherine Mulhern both parents born ireland, signed for by john mcdermott

1880 blairsville pa brown street. Michael Mcdermott Age: 14 Birth Year: abt 1866
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Home in 1880: Blairsville, Indiana, Pennsylvania
Father's Birthplace: Ireland
Mother's Birthplace: Ireland

Michl. Mcdermott 48 peddlar of small wares
Thomas Mcdermott 16
Michael Mcdermott 14 has consumption (t b)
John Mcdermott 11

i do not know if michael wed katherin mulhern in the usa or ireland, but michael mcdermott placed an ad in the 1870's searching for his brother stating that they were born clonfree, county roscommom. they worked for the railroad, so i assume they may have moved around.

Posted: 1489626436000
not sure yet how this one fits in-indiana weekly 5 june 1924 katherine and michael mulheren divorcing.
will keep looking, but you should know, there is still more off line than on, and writing letters if searching in person not practical still works. check with indiana county genealogy library-see if they do obit look ups, if they have old directories,
check this index out
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~paicgs/surnames/M.pdf
good luck!

Posted: 1489654526000
Edited: 1489661217000
dont forget your local lds library an genealogy room of your local library have free online resources in many areas. this is 1860, blairsville pa. this family was here a long time, write for records.
John Mc Grath M 30 Ireland laborer
Ann Mc Grath F 18 Ireland could ann have married a mulherron? see the 1870 census, the age would be correct.
Bridget Mulherron F 75 Ireland
John Mulherron M 10 Ireland

1870 blairsville
M Mcdermott M 58 Ireland
Catharine Mcdermott F 28 Ireland
Thomas Mcdermott M 6 Pennsylvania
Michael Mcdermott M 4 Pennsylvania
John Mcdermott M 2 Pennsylvania

Posted: 1489670400000
Thank you all who responded and tried to help me. You've given me some things to consider. The will with Williams cousin... the possibility of wedlock (I wonder why on the 1870 census, William is 4 years old and his name is William Mahn?) and the idea to write the Catholic church in Blairsville, PA.

Thanks so much for taking time out of your day to help!! Blessings to you!!
Julie

Posted: 1489671749000
Aurina, You've really dug up some great information I haven't seen before! You are quite the detective! :) Thank you so very much for this blessing!

Posted: 1489679307000
Thanks so much for your input Steve. Great idea, I will contact the local church there and hope for the best. :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic