Search for content in message boards

Swedish Ancestor Name Help?

Swedish Ancestor Name Help?

Posted: 1559830480000
Classification: Query
Good Morning,
I am seeking help and or advice on what name to enter into my family tree for my Swedish ancestors. For instance, my great-great-grandfather’s name was Anders Petersson but through his lifetime all the way up including his death his name was either written as Anders Petersson or Anders Pettersson. Which record do most of you consider the “official record” for naming your ancestor?
The same thing happened plenty of times, here are a few other examples for reference:
Born: Christina Jonsdotter by the time she died it was written as Kristina Jonsdotter
Born: Christina Johansdotter by the time she married and died it was written Stina Johansdotter
Pehr may change to Per other minor changes like that.

I understand with the alternate names feature that is how most people go around the issue. I am just more wondering what record if any people consider the “best” to take a name from. For instance, a few professional genealogists I know from the U.S.A. they use the birth record feeling it is the most accurate record. (For instance, my great--aunt was born Sarah Elizabeth Laird but when she died everything, death cert. obituary and tombstone all says Sarah Margaret Laird.)
Sorry for the long explanation, but long story short. Which record do most of you consider the “official record” for naming your Swedish ancestors?
Also, as a side question when did the “dotter” name start getting left off of the women and they started taking the “sson”?

Thanks for any and all help!

Brett

Re: Swedish Ancestor Name Help?

Posted: 1559852247000
"Sveriges Släktforskarförbund" has a list of normalized spellings for names, but it is debated if one should use these.

https://www.rotter.se/faktabanken/personnamn/?view=listmanag...

It was towards the end of the 19th century that the custom started that both sons and daughters used the -son version of a patronymic surname.

// Bo Johansson

Posted: 1560022883000
Thanks so much for you help!

Posted: 1560034617000
Edited: 1560034653000
It really is all a matter of personal preference. I tend to use the name most commonly found in records as you say, starting with the birth record. I also tend to use what makes sense. For example, my Swedish grandmother was born maj-britt...but from the time she came to America at 5 she was Maybrit so I go with the latter. On the other hand my Great Grandfather's name as Karl Oskar in Sweden for 25 years of his life and Charles Oscar for the last 10 years of his life in the US...I go with the Swedish version.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic