Search for content in message boards

Walters or Watters b. 1644 From Scotland to Tenn.

Walters or Watters b. 1644 From Scotland to Tenn.

Posted: 1285958409000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Walters, Waters, Watters
Oct 1, 2010 and I finally joined to see that I'm about 5 to 10 years too late with my family tree and the conversations about the Walters clan. I'm Keith James Walters. Decendent through: William Arthur Walters, William Allen Walters, John E. Walters, Allen G. Walters, Anderson Walters, Braxton Walters, on down to William b.1650 or Watters b.1644. If anybody has stories or more information to share, please feel free to contact me.
Keith

Re: Walters or Watters b. 1644 From Scotland to Tenn.

Posted: 1293537800000
This is the information I have:

1. William Walters, died 1763 in Halifax County, Virginia. Married to Elizabeth (last name unknown; died before 1763). (This family was in Brunswick County, Virginia in 1737, then to Lunenburg County, then to Halifax County, and then to Pittsylvania County.)
2. Thomas Walters, Sr., born 1727, Bristol Parish, Prince George County, Virginia. Married to Lucy (last name unknown).
3. Thomas Walters, Jr. (son of Thomas Walters, Sr., and Lucy (last name unknown). Wife's name unknown. Thomas died before 1795.
4. John, born April 30, 1779, Pittsylvania County, Virginia; died in Union County, Tennessee. Married to his cousin, Rhoda Jane Walters, born Jan 29, 1780 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia.
5. Braxton, born June 2, 1801, Pittsylvania County, Virginia; died 1875 in Sullivan County, Indiana. Married to Malinda Keene, born 1801.
6. Anderson, born August 1826, Grainger County, Tennessee; died 1858 in Sullivan County, Indiana. Married to Mahaley Bledsoe.

Is this your family? The following information might help to get you on the correct track of this family:

WILLIAM WALTERS died in 1762/3 in Halifax County, Virginia. Our William Walters of Virginia was not the William Watters married to Elizabeth Robertson of Scotland. Hopefully, the following information will clarify this long-standing error. (They had these known children: Robert, Thomas, Elizabeth, Walter, Ruth and William.)

[The following information was sent to me (Patricia L. Walters Mattison) by William Jon Walters of Arizona]

This is what has been found about William Walters of Brunwsick, Lunenburg, Halifax Counties in Virginia:

The Scottish error:
William said to have come from Scotland between 1733-1736 to what would become Halifax Co VA. Parents said to be Archibald Walters & Elizabeth Aittken. Marriage record and baptisms of children found in South Lieth, Midlothian, Scotland.
Email of November 2002 from Bill Walters states the following:
"My name is William J. Walters of the lineage you have posted as being Scottish. I was researching our family roots in Scotland and found some disturbing information on this Wm Watters/Elizabeth Robertson family. I found Elizabeth's grave in a small town outside of Leith, Midlothian, Scotland. The town is called Restalrig. It has a small church w/ graveyard and Elizabeth's' tombstone is very well intact for it's age. It reads: "Her Lyes Elizabeth Robertson the wife of William Watters who died 6 Mar 1734 at the age of 32 Also four of her sons are buried with her James, Thomas, William, Last is Unreadable. Also Elizabeth Galloway the second wife of William Watters". at the bottom of the tombstone there is a "John Waters" The Parish Records show that William Watters went on to marry a third time to a Margaret Petrie. They had a son in Leith in 1736. This information will show that the William Walters father of our Thomas Walters was not this Scotsman."
"I was the one who found the parents of William Watters in Leith, Scotland in 1998. Archibald his father was the Newton Parish Clerk in Midlothian and kept very good records of his family. William Watters and Elizabeth Robertson were married in the Newton Parish Church, and not in Liberton. They had their "Marriage Bonds" read in Liberton prior to their marriage in Newton Parish. Elizabeth's father Rev. John Robertson was the Rector of the Liberton Parish. "Marriage Bonds" was a formal declaration to her home parish to make sure she was not already married to someone else.
I met a genealogest/historian by the name of Mr. Arthur in Leith, Scotland on my summer vacation, and we scoured the graveyards there to find more clues to this William Watters. We didn't find anything in Leith so we walked to a small town nearby called Restalrig (He wanted to show me the small chapel there) and that is where we stumbled across Elizabeth Robertson's headstone. I was not prepared for this type of a find!! I sat down in front of the tombstone in the wet grass and just shook my head. I am sorry we are not connected to this family, but I am glad we are getting the facts right. "
So the "Scottish connection" is an error. It was significant to me that in all cases this surname was spelled WATTERS in South Leith, but generally found as WALTERS in Brunswick/Halifax VA. Of course this also means that the christenings of the sons John, Archibald, William, James, Thomas, and at least two later Johns cannot be the baptisms of children of William Walters found in Brunswick Co VA

[The following information is from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
December 4, 2009 by Patricia L. Walters Mattison]

(Excerpt from: 01/10/1699 Watters, William [O.P.R. Births 696/0010 0345 Newton])

William Watters was born in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, September 27, 1699, and baptized October 1, 1699. His father was Archbold Watters; his mother was Elizabeth Aittken. The witnesses to his baptism were William Watters and William Aitkin.

(Excerpts from: 1728 Watters, William (Reference CC8/7/100 Edinburgh Commissary Court)

1 March 1738
Wm. Watters

William Watters was a blacksmith in Abby Hill, Edinburgh, Scotland. He died on December 30, 1737, at the age of 38 years. At the time of his death, he was married to Margaret Petry. William left three living sons when he died: Archibald and William from his earlier marriage to Elizabeth Robertson and John, his son by Margaret Petry. William Watters and Margaret Petry had one son, John, born September 14, 1736.

[The following information is from William Jon Walters]

William Watters had previously married Elizabeth Galloway after 1734, after the death of his first wife, Elizabeth Robertson.

[The following information is from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search/SearchResults.aspx

William Watters’ first wife was Elizabeth Robertson. They were married June 22, 1722, in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland. Elizabeth died March 6, 1734, at the age of 32. She is buried in the cemetery in a small chapel in Restalrig. They were the parents of John, born May 26, 1723; Archbold, born March 18, 1725; William, born March 23, 1727; James, born April 3, 1729; John, born October 3, 1731; and Thomas, born April 17, 1733.

[Conclusion by Patricia L. Walters Mattison: William Watters and Elizabeth Robertson were not the parents of our Virginia Walters family; however, I think that our Walters were of the same Archbald Watters family from Scotland that William was born into.

Archbold Watters and Elizabeth Aittkin were married in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, on August 7, 1698. After Elizabeth Aittkin died, Archbold married Agnes Smaill in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, on July 10 or 23, 1714. He had children by both wives.

Because our Walters used the same names for their children as Archbold Walters in Scotland used, I believe we are of that family; either from a different son of Archbold’s or possibly a brother of Archbold’s.]

William Watters died in Scotland on December 30, 1737, at the age of 38 years. Elizabeth Robertson’s grave is in a small town outside of Leith, Midlothian, Scotland. The town is called Restalrig. It has a small church with graveyard and Elizabeth's' tombstone is very well intact for it's age. It reads: "Her Lyes Elizabeth Robertson the wife of William Watters who died 6 Mar 1734 at the age of 32. Also, Elizabeth Galloway the second wife of William Watters is buried in this tomb. The Parish Records show that William Watters went on to marry a third time to a Margaret Petrie. They had a son in Leith in 1736. This information will show that the William Walters father of our Thomas Walters was not this Scotsman. [information given by William Jon Walters in 2009]

[The following information is from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
December 4, 2009]

(Excerpt from: 01/10/1699 Watters, William [O.P.R. Births 696/0010 0345 Newton])

William Watters was born in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, September 27, 1699, and baptized October 1, 1699. His father was Archbold Watters; his mother was Elizabeth Aittken. The witnesses to his baptism were William Watters and William Aitkin.

(Excerpts from: 1728 Watters, William (Reference CC8/7/100 Edinburgh Commissary Court)

1 March 1738
Wm. Watters

William Watters was a blacksmith in Abby Hill, Edinburgh, Scotland. He died on December 30, 1737, at the age of 38 years. At the time of his death, he was married to Margaret Petry. William left three living sons when he died: Archibald (born March 18, 1725) and William (born March 23, 1727) from his earlier marriage to Elizabeth Robertson and John, his son by Margaret Petry. William Watters and Margaret Petry had one son, John, born September 14, 1736.

[The following information is from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search/SearchResults.aspx ]

William Watters’ first wife was Elizabeth Robertson. They were married June 22, 1722, in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland. Elizabeth died March 6, 1734, at the age of 32. She is buried in the cemetery in a small chapel in Restalrig. They were the parents of John, born May 26, 1723; Archbold, born March 18, 1725; William, born March 23, 1727; James, born April 3, 1729; John, born October 3, 1731; and Thomas, born April 17, 1733.

[My Conclusion: William Watters and Elizabeth Robertson were not the parents of our Virginia Walters family; however, I think that our Walters were of the same Archbald Watters family from Scotland that William was born into.

Archbold Watters and Elizabeth Aittkin were married in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, on August 7, 1698. After Elizabeth Aittkin died, Archbold married Agnes Smaill in Newton, Midlothian, Scotland, on July 10 or 23, 1714. He had children by both wives.

Because our Walters used the same names for their children as Archbold Walters in Scotland used, I believe we are of that family; possibly from a brother of Archbold’s.]

I descend from Thomas Walters, Sr. and Lucy down through either their son Robert (married to Selethia McBee) or Thomas, Jr. (not proven). There are so many errors found in this family that it is difficult to get accurate information on some members of the family. These Walters came from Scotland, not Germany or Wales. Their name has been spelled as Walters, Waters, and even Warters (oftentimes spelled differently in the same documents).

The best information I have seen on the internet is from Kay Haden's "Leaves of the Tree."

Posted: 1293551803000
Thank you.....I appriciate the info. I had a DNA test done and found all this information from Jon W. in AZ. I'm descendent from William Walters 1699. Have been in contact with several DNA matches and slowly connecting the dots. Any other information would always be appricated.

KJW

Posted: 1293570502000
William Jon Walters of Arizona has done extensive research on the Virginia Walters family and is an excellent resource. It was he who first discovered and alerted others to the Scottish "connection," and then found the "error" of William Walters (Scotland 1699) and Elizabeth Robertson as being the parents of our Virginia Walters family. The information I provided from the Scotland website gave further information on those two people's deaths in Scotland in 1737 and before. William Jon also did extensive research of our family in Virginia and has provided us with documented knowledge we may never have recovered on our own.

I think the DNA study proved that we descend from the William Walters who died in Halifax County, Virginia, in 1763; but he was not the William Walters born in 1699 in Scotland.

Happy hunting--you have embarked on one of the most interesting, educational, and rewarding endeavors. You will be amazed at the history you can learn from your research, because you will always be asking yourself questions about your ancestors; such as, Who, What, Where, When, Why, How. And, you may finally even be able to answer some questions regarding who you are and why you are that way. I know that I have, and it has been personally rewarding (not in dollars, but knowledge).
per page

Find a board about a specific topic