Search for content in message boards

Old Wills

Old Wills

Posted: 1241345611000
Classification: Query
Surnames: ROGERS
I would like to know, please, how to request copies of old wills in Addison County from the early 19th century. Specifically, I am seeking the wills of:
Augustus Rogers, died about 1805
Wing Rogers (his father) died 27 April, 1816

Thank you,
Anna

Re: Old Wills

Posted: 1241488904000
Some years ago, I was trying to find any wills/probate for early 1800's in Addison Co. Do not remember all the facts but was told most burned as did many records in other areas due to fire.
However, a friend who was a professional genealogist referred me to land records. That is the greatest source that I also believe is underutilized. They not only show where your ancestor had land, but when they bought it and when they sold it.
Some other things I have found while searching the Addison area land records:
1. Witnesses who were related
2. Many times the records recorded either side of my ancestors was a brother/sister.
3. If a will included land, then the will was copied into the land record. I hit gold with that one.

You could also contact Addison Probate Court, 7 Mahady Court, Middlebury, VT 05753. Phone: (802) 388-2612.

Otherwise, your quickest source for the land records is your local LDS branch library. They can order the appropriate microfilm for you to read at their library for a very small fee. Anytime I have gone to one, they are extremely helpful and always had a great time.
Also remember that Addison County is not divided by townships but by their towns. I tried to find my ancestor under Bridport but did not find them until I tried Addison. Very hard to read at first, but use their indexes and after awhile get used to it.

Good Luck

Posted: 1241598525000
Thank you very much for all of this advice. I will try to find the records online first, then LDS.
Anna

Posted: 1241787502000
I think I maybe able to speed your search along. My ancestors purchased land from the estate of a Wing Rogers of Addison County. The land record is for transfering the land from Job Steadman to his son Asa Steadman. The record states “ whereas we Abrms. Rogers and Joseph Rogers Executors of the last will and testament of Winy Rogers late of Ferrisburgh in the County of Addison in the State of Vermont Deceased…order of the court of probate …It appears that Winy Rogers Deceased was in his lifetime and at his death under [?] to deed to Job Stedman of Bristol , county and state forsaid- Therefore we the [?] Rogers and Joseph Rogers Executors as forsaid were liscenced and ordered to deed the following lands to the above said Job Stedman…in Bristol… being the 2nd Division lot drawn to the original eight of Edward Burling Jr…and containing about fifty acres.”. The land was purchased for $176.67. The record is signed by Abrms Rogers and Joseph Rogers and is witnessed by Stephen Rogers and Howland Delony. Recorded in Volume 6 of the Bristol Land Records , I believe on pages 170 and 189. You could start here and work your way backwards to find out when the Rogers family acquired the land.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic