Search for content in message boards

Profile page should include fields for adopted name, maiden name, and married name

Profile page should include fields for adopted name, maiden name, and married name

Posted: 1567093176000
Classification: Query
I can't tell you how frustrating it is not to be able to search using both married and maiden names . And in some cases adopted names .

Autosomal DNA has brought many surname switches to light. Yet there remains no upgrade to the profile page of a person to account for surname switch. And Ancestry has never created a specific field for a woman's married name.

So many DNA kits on Ancestry do not include pedigree charts. It would help tremendously to be able to search using both maiden and married names.

Re: Profile page should include fields for adopted name, maiden name, and married name

Posted: 1567101885000
Are you talking about the profile page of a member?
Because a regular search for trees or records does include both maiden and married names.

Re: Profile page should include fields for adopted name, maiden name, and married name

Posted: 1567117506000
I personally find it annoying that Ancestry doesn't allow someone to choose to display a different surname for the profile. They suggest you use your real name, rather than your user ID, for the DNA, but I have no connection DNA-wise to my current surname.

Posted: 1567118317000
You can add alternate names to any profile.

Searching DNA lineage by a married surname makes zero sense. If you're getting returns that way, that's due to sloppy work by other users, females are always cited by their maiden surname, always.

The "system" will search both maiden and surname of the spouse, providing the spouse has a profile page. You can also enter in alternate given and surnames in the case of adoption. Simply make the name you want to search the preferred, before you search. You do this on the profile page, the left column, hit the +ADD button and select the event, NAME.

Posted: 1567120799000
This thread would probably have been better understood if it had been posted on one of the many DNA boards.

Posted: 1567123866000
My post is not directed at members' personal information. My post is specific to ancestry work.

If one looks at their TREE, Ancestry creates an index for each person in it. Each person is assigned ONE SINGLE SURNAME. It is this surname which is used by Ancestry's search feature. This surname is also found in a person's profile page. This is a critical flaw which has existed way too long. The system's search feature needs to be updated for a variety of reasons.

This flaw has led inconsistencies in Ancestry's database. Their database is built by members who upload and build out trees. Some people choose a maiden name, others use a particular married name, and others use both names in the surname field. There is NO field to differentiate the case of ADOPTION which has only increased when it comes to building out trees since scientific tools are now possible. What once applied to girls and children of known adoption now DNA is bringing to the forefront girls and by oys may carry one surname at birth legally and may carry a different surname which would apply to their inherited AKA biological lines. Because the surname switch may date back to earlier generations there is even a greater need to be able to have fields to isolate/filter a person using more than one surname per generation node.

Posted: 1567124169000
Are you referring to submitting a DNA kit or becoming a member and buildng/creating a Tree?

Posted: 1567125901000
NO it would not! This thread was created specifically to address deficiencies in the PEDIGREE BUILDING Feature on Ancestry.com.

When it comes to genealogy work at the very heart is pedigree building. DNA is used to verify or clarify one's pedigree work. Ancestry has purposefully departmentalized pedigree building from DNA testing and honestly their current DNA offering - the autosomal only Family Finder test- can't establish or confirm a single surname! That takes boys doing Ymarker tests.

Ancestry doesn't have any specific pedigree building inside the DNA feature.

So I did the thread on the correct board.

Posted: 1567143542000
Edited: 1567143599000
Both, as the same profile name is used for everything on Ancestry, whether for a DNA test or creating a tree. In either case, I prefer not to use my current surname for my profile, as I'm neither related to nor researching that surname.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic