Search for content in message boards

Stadden Cemetery, Wilmer, TX

Stadden Cemetery, Wilmer, TX

Linda Farris (View posts)
Posted: 1070164852000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Weatherford
I hve been unable to locate Stadden Cemetery in Wilmer at the location listed for that cemetery. I am looking specifically for the burial place for Jefferson Weatherford, who I believe is buried there. The address is Geller Road, but alI could find there is a pet cemetery. Does anyone out there know if Stadden Cemetery was relocated from its original site on Geller Road in Wilmer, TX?

Re: Stadden Cemetery, Wilmer, TX

Roy (View posts)
Posted: 1070233674000
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 1071022568000
Linda:

I asked an old (88 year old) retired Dallas County Deputy Sheriff if he knew of a cemetery on Geller Road in or around Wilmer. He patrolled Wilmer and Hutchins for 32 years.

He said the cemetery is located on private property, 1/2 mile south of Belt Line Road on the west side of Geller Road. He remembers the property being owned by a family named Hilton. He said one of the Hilton daughters is or was the Librarian at the Wilmer Library which is on Belt Line near the City Hall and Police and Fire Stations.

Stop by the Police Station, they are friendly and will help you any way they can.

Hope I have helped,

Roy

Posted: 1161029384000
The Cemetery is on the W. H. Hilton property, you can't see it from the road. You have to ask if you can visit the cemetery.
They are usually real nice, and will let you. But by law, you can only visit a private property cemetery only once a year.
and I forgot what time of year that was.

Posted: 1276630259000
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Weatherford, Stadden, Spraggens
I know two people who have approached Mr. Hilton to ask to tour the Stadden Cemetery. They were allowed to walk around. Neither, however, could find a stone for Thomas Jefferson "Jeff" Weatherford, who was husband to Mary Stadden and who was early State Senator for whom Weatherford, Texas was named. There ARE three flat stone or cement slabs in a corner, which could be construed to be the resting places of Jeff, Mary, and perhaps Jeff's mother Frances Spraggens, who died in Dallas County OR they could simply be resting places for John Stadden and members of his family....as this was his homeplace.

Posted: 1353902394000
Edited: 1533405303000
Surnames: Stadden, Weatherford, McKee
My dad and I have visited the McKee section of the Stadden Cemetery a number of times. Can you recall which corner of the Stadden Cemetery the three flat stone slabs are located in? Facing the cemetery from the road you are on the east side and the south side is on your left. Do you know of anyone that has photos of the flat slabs?

Posted: 1354304607000
Surnames: Weatherford
When facing the gate to the cemetery, as entering the fenced area from the front gate, the three large slabs are at the far back left edge of the fenced area. We do have pictures of the three slabs, but I will have to see if I can find them, as much of our research and pictures are still in moving cartons. If you should care to contact me directly, my email address is: rands@htcomp.net

Also, as a note, I am about 95% sure that Jefferson Weatherford's name was not Thomas Jefferson Weatherford, but he did have a SON named Thomas Jefferson Weatherford, and other family members in Illinois named Thomas Jefferson Weatherford.

Posted: 1376597051000
Edited: 1533405303000
Surnames: Stadden, Weatherford, McKee
Sorry it has taken me so long to check this thread. Since there is still no photo for JW on Find A Grave I presume that you have not been able to locate your photos.

I feel like I covered that part of the cemetery fairly well and found several stones that had not been previously photographed (Whites and unmarked Field Stone Markers) but if the Weatherford slabs were flat I could have missed them in the thick blanket of leaf debris.

The front left corner has some huge downed trees which made that area inaccessible so that was the suspected location that I had planned to check more carefully on my next "cleanup" visit.

The McKees seem to be the only descendants actively maintaining their part of the cemetery.

Tom

Posted: 1376669641000
Hello, did you notice the yrs on the Whites, I'm looking for a Joseph e White or JE White about 1860.

Thresa
per page

Find a board about a specific topic