Search for content in message boards

McGillivray Plantation

McGillivray Plantation

Posted: 1195919234000
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGillivray
Alexander McGillivray, the Creek Mico, had a plantation on the Little River above Tensaw. Does anyone know the precise location of his plantation. At his death, I believe it was confiscated by his sisters and their families.

Re: McGillivray Plantation

Posted: 1197155616000
Back in 2001, my friend Prof. Woodie Wallace, a McGillivray descendant, sent me the following excerpt. Woodie said it was submitted by Clayton G. Metcalf who compiled it under the heading "Information on the McGillivray Family." Unfortunately, this is the only part of the email I still have in my notes so I don't know exactly what publication Mr. Metcalf's info was submitted to, but here's what he submitted, condensed a bit by Woodie:
"On May 21, 1890..another good and useful deed was recorded to the credit of the Alabama Anthropological Society when it celebrated it's twenty-first anniversary by the unveiling of an imposing marker locating the site of the McGillivray Plantation as of 1740...near the Thelma Baptist Church, four miles North of Wetumpka, on the old Howell Rose place in Elmore County.
The huge monolith, marking the historic site, is a rugged native boulder, eight feet high and weighing some five tons. It was taken from the bed of a nearby stream and on it is superimposed a handsome bronze tablet which contains the following inscription:
The McGillivray Plantation known as "Little Talase" and "The Apple Grove" - 1740 - 1793. Here lived Lachlan McGillivray, Scotch trader among the Indians. His wife was Sehoy, of the Creek tribe of the Wind. Here was born their son, General Alexander McGillivray, who went in 1790 with Colonel Marinus Willett from this plantation to New York City to visit President George Washington...."
There is more on the inscription but since this post is getting long, I'll just add the last sentence: "This marker was placed here by the Alabama Anthropological Society on May 13, 1890." (end of quotation)
We attempted to locate the stone and marker back then, but apparently it is no longer there. I think I have a picture of it somewhere and will see if I can locate it and post it here. You might try contacting Steve Travis. If anybody knows exactly where the plantation was it would be Steve.
Evelyn Sizemore Leslie

Posted: 1197204434000
Surnames: McGillivray, Moniac, Colbert, Tate
Hi Evelyn

Thanks for your post. I amaware of the marker you speak of and photographed it myself back in 2002.

To find the Marker, Take Hwy. 231 North out of Montgomery into Wetumpka. Driving north of Wetumpka into the community of Wallsboro, turn right on Weoka Road. The Marker is near Thelma Baptist Church at 810 Weoka Road. This is about a mile off of Hwy 231 North.

What I am searching for is the location of Alexander's plantation or "ranch" way down upon the Little River. Alexander had many cattle and horses down there just north of the Tensaw Settlements.

I am trying to refine the location of that plantation. There are reports that William Panton, at the request of the Alexander's family, reburied Alexander at that site and erected a significant grave-marker with a beautiful tribute inscibed upon it.

Posted: 1197208337000
Yes, I apologize for answering without thoroughly reading your post - realized after I sent it that you said Tensaw, Little River, etc. I am not a McGillivray descendant but any Creek history research discussion would be remiss if it did not include Alexander McGillivray and his father, Lachlan, and Panton & Leslie. Would you mind listing the sources for Alexander's re-burial information? Although I did find later notes in my old hardcopy file regarding the location of the plantation near Wetumpka, I did not find anything further on Alexander's burial. The last information I had from previous research discussions was that Alexander McGillivray died while on a visit to William Panton's plantation in Pensacola and was buried in Panton's garden there. I did not locate anything in my notes or books or excerpts from books indicating his daughters had him moved and erected a marker at the site. I really am interested in what you have found....thanks! esleslie@bellsouth.net
Evelyn S. Leslie

Posted: 1197246192000
Evelyn

Alexander's sister, Sophia (who married Benjamin Durant), had Alexander reburied at Choctaw Bluff, Alabama. William Panton visited the burial site in 1794 and erected a marker upon which he wrote a touching memorial. The text can be found at the Pensacola Historical Museum.

You can read about this in the book "The McGillivray & McIntosh Traders" by Prof. Amos J. Wright Jr.
Wright includes the Marker's text in his book.

Posted: 1197249938000
Thank you. I shall look for the book. As I previously stated, I am not a McGillivray descendant but I do have a file on him. Evelyn

Posted: 1199908569000
Surnames: McGillivray, Moniac, Colbert, Tate

Evelyn

It would seem that Alexander's 'southern' plantation was located at the mouth of the Little River in Baldwin County, Alabama. This is where he had his "cowpens". This is also where his second wife lived.

After Alexander's death at William Panton's house,he was probably buried next door on Lot 18 in Pensacola. A few early sources say that Alexander's sister, Sophia, had him removed and reburied at Choctaw Bluff in Clarke County on the Alabama River opposite the mouth of the Little River where he had his plantation or "cowpens".

per page

Find a board about a specific topic