Search for content in message boards

Need help - stuck on Michael Quinn and his Irish family from townland Cluntoe (Quin) Co. Tyrone

Need help - stuck on Michael Quinn and his Irish family from townland Cluntoe (Quin) Co. Tyrone

Posted: 1556389838000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Quinn Nicholas McCarty
Back in the mid 1990's a distant cousin found page 1 of a letter from an Irish mother to one of her many children whom she had sent to America to escape the Irish Famine. It was only the first page of the letter however it was packed with valuable info. It was written 5 Sept 1853 and sent from what appears to have been the townland Cluntoe (Quin) in County Tyrone. It mentions a son Michael Quinn who I believe is my G-G-Grandfather. There was a Michael Quinn who married a Mary Nicholas on 7 Jan 1947 in Cincinnati, OH USA at St Peter in Chains Cathedral. It appears that Michael Quinn and Mary Nicholas had two children together Mary Quinn (1848-1894) and Frank (Francis) Quinn (1853-1890). Frank was my G-Grandfather.

At some point Michael Quinn is out of the picture. Can't find them in the 1850 USA Census. So Mary Nicholas Quinn then appears to have married a Matthew Coughlin in 1856 also in Cincinnati, OH USA at St Patrick Catholic Church on Third St.

In time Matthew Coughlin is no longer found and Mary Nicholas Quinn Coughlin marries yet again to a McCarty (either Patrick or John) on 16 Jun 1861 again in Cincinnati Oh at St Francis Zavier Catholic Church.

Can anyone help with any of these people or better yet with any of Michael Quinn's family in Ireland?

Here is all that could be made out from page 1 of that letter that my distant cousin found in her family bible which was written by an Irish mother living in the townland of Cluntoe (Quin) of Co. Tyrone back in Sept 1853:

Clunto Quin Sept 5 1853

Dear Child

With feelings of affection I write to inform you that I received your letter of July last, and am happy to find that you are in good health as also your family as this leaves us at present thank God. I was sorry to hear of the Death of brother Francis. but still gods will must be submitted to as it is by his omnipotence that we all live and die. I was greatly discomforted for these few years back not hearing from you or any other of my children in that part of America which caused me often to regret and despair to think that I by children whom I tenderly caryed was thus far rejected that they would not loss (?) a sheet of paper to console me in my old age, especially Michael who wrote to us about three years ago to find out for him his age birth and baptism and to swear it before a Magistrate and send it to him which I did and tongue could not express what trouble I had to undergo to do that and the expense I was at in getting it done and after all he would not satisfy me thus far as ever to write to me what his reason was in getting it done. No matter, I suppose it is with him as thousands more out of sight out of mind. And I can expressly say He should not have been so ungrateful to me for I did not inform him as a ( ) ( ). the unnecessary trouble I went to to send my children to America should not be so soon forgotten for if they got
free themselves they should not forgot them that were behind and they burthen on especially when times in Ireland were so bad that hunger and pestilence were so prevalent in our neighborhood that one third of them died and others left the country that could get sheriffed from the house and Land and no hope of ever being reunited

The letter just stops there and no more pages could be found.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Mary Quinn
Cincinnati, OH

Re: Need help - stuck on Michael Quinn and his Irish family from townland Cluntoe (Quin) Co. Tyrone

Posted: 1557800170000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Quinn, Nicholas, McCarty, Coughlin
REPOSTING with a date correction:

Back in the mid 1990's a distant cousin found in her family bible the first page of a letter from an Irish mother to one of her many children whom she had sent to America to escape the Irish Famine. It was only the first page of the letter however it was packed with valuable info. It was written 5 Sept 1853 and sent from what appears to have been the townland Cluntoe (Quin) in County Tyrone. It mentions a son Michael Quinn who I believe is my G-G-Grandfather. There was a Michael Quinn who married a Mary Nicholas on 7 Jan 1847 in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA at Saint Peter in Chains Cathedral. It appears that Michael Quinn and Mary Nicholas had two children together Mary Quinn (1848-1894) and Frank (Francis) Quinn (1853-1890). Frank was my G-Grandfather.

At some point Michael Quinn is out of the picture. Can't find any of them in the 1850 USA Census.

Mary Nicholas Quinn then appears to have married a Matthew Coughlin in 1856 also in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA at St Patrick Catholic Church on Third St.

In time Matthew Coughlin is no longer found and Mary Nicholas Quinn Coughlin marries yet again to a McCarty (either Patrick or John) on 16 Jun 1861 again in Cincinnati Ohio, USA at Saint Francis Zavier Catholic Church.

Can anyone help with any of these people or better yet with any of Michael Quinn's family in Ireland?

Here is all that could be made out from page 1 of that letter that my distant cousin found in her family bible which was written by an Irish mother living in the townland of Cluntoe (Quin) of Co. Tyrone back in Sept 1853:

Clunto Quin Sept 5 1853

Dear Child

With feelings of affection I write to inform you that I received your letter of July last, and am happy to find that you are in good health as also your family as this leaves us at present thank God. I was sorry to hear of the Death of brother Francis. but still gods will must be submitted to as it is by his omnipotence that we all live and die. I was greatly discomforted for these few years back not hearing from you or any other of my children in that part of America which caused me often to regret and despair to think that I by children whom I tenderly caryed was thus far rejected that they would not loss (?) a sheet of paper to console me in my old age, especially Michael who wrote to us about three years ago to find out for him his age birth and baptism and to swear it before a Magistrate and send it to him which I did and tongue could not express what trouble I had to undergo to do that and the expense I was at in getting it done and after all he would not satisfy me thus far as ever to write to me what his reason was in getting it done. No matter, I suppose it is with him as thousands more out of sight out of mind. And I can expressly say He should not have been so ungrateful to me for I did not inform him as a ( ) ( ). the unnecessary trouble I went to to send my children to America should not be so soon forgotten for if they got
free themselves they should not forgot them that were behind and they burthen on especially when times in Ireland were so bad that hunger and pestilence were so prevalent in our neighborhood that one third of them died and others left the country that could get sheriffed from the house and Land and no hope of ever being reunited

The letter just stops there and no more pages could be found.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Mary Quinn
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic