Search for content in message boards

Seeking Shawnee Tribal descendants(TECUMSEH) relatives

Seeking Shawnee Tribal descendants(TECUMSEH) relatives

Posted: 984223103000
Edited: 1019684135000
I am trying to round up my Shawnee Tribal relatives,I have found many in W.Va. & Oklahoma.My line goes Cross-Barker-Edgell-Ice-Galloway.Any of you in Ohio?Tecumseh was born in S.W.Ohio. Would like to connect! Thank you. Mary

Shawnee tribes in Ohio before 1830 Indian Removal Act

Posted: 984747496000
I am searching for anyone with Shawnee ancestry before the removal act of 1730.Some went to Canada (war of 1812)many were forced to Kansas some assimilated into general population. Anyone with Dawes records or other info? Thank you. Mary

Shawnee tribe -Levi Collins Flint b.aby 1828

Posted: 984748481000
Hi, I`m helping someone locate others related to Shawnee Tribe through;
Levi Collins Flint b. abt 1828,he married Stella Ann Harvey b. abt 1835...she was Ohama Tribe & French,she was daughter of Raymond Harvey.
Levi`s father was Joseph Flint who married Jane (Qua-he-kah).They were probably in Ohio before the 1830 Indian removal act.Anyone related? Thanks! Mary

Descendency

Posted: 986371107000
Edited: 993879616000
I am descended from Tecumseh through the Cross-Penn line. There are quite a few of us. However, we believe he was born along Paint Creek, near Bainbridge, Ohio. The Shawnee from the Xenia area disagree, apparently. Most of us live near the mounds to this day. Generally speaking, in Adams, Ross, Pike, and Scioto counties. You may contact me at SerpentMound@hotmail.com

Re: Seeking Shawnee Tribal descendants(TECUMSEH) relatives

Posted: 1001823984000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1016340313000
Surnames: BRADLEY CUMMINS CONNER BATES SMITH SIMMONS WARD INGRAM MANSKER SHAVER CONKLIN WEST SMITHPETER
While I am not a descendant of Tecumseh, I am however a relative. My 3rd great grandmother Pricilla Perkins was captured 1812, she was one of five wives of Tenskwatawa, brother of Tecumseh. Their daughter, Marcia was born NY Dec 25 1814, married Orrin B Cummins Erie Co NY 1834. Marcia(Bates)Cummins died Van Buren Co Mich 1871. My g grandfather, Samuel Markus Cummins, was Orrin B and Marcia Cummins youngest child. Samuel and Sylvia (Conner)Cummins son Edward Cummins is my grandfather, my mother is Edna Cummins. The family says they had documentation of the relationship to Tenskwatawa. I have been told all my live that I was a descendant of an Indian Chief, but only recently have I found out his name, thanks to new information from a cousin. Would like to know more about your line. Dennis Bradley

Vincent Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 1007627395000
Surnames: tecumseh
HI!
I am relatively new to anscestor.com, but tracing my family tree has been a fascination with me for as long as I can remember. Since I was a young boy, I've heard that Tecumseh was an anscestor of ours, tho just how he was related I've never known. It turns out tho that my grandfather (who was a descendant of Tecumseh) was from Ohio and I have a photograph of a woman named Madge May Galloway in my album (you mentioned the name "Galloway").
At any rate, I am very anxious to make contact with you and together we can help to find out more aboout our family tree(s)!

Posted: 1007657550000
Surnames: Cross,Barker,Edgell,Trader,Galloway ,Ice
Dear Vincent,
Hi, thank you for responding. Tecumseh`s mom was believed to have been Mary (Galloway ?) Ice b.1727 -who was Cherokee chief``s daughter & kidnapped more than once,?still unclear which Mary.... Methotasa(Mary)b. abt 1739?) married Shawnee Chief Pucksinwah (Hardstriker b abt. 1728) of the Kispokothe Sept-(War Party)when she was about 15 . They had Chisicka b. 1756 Tecumpese b.1758 (Blue Jacket,adopted son abt 6 mos older than Tecumseh, Tecumsehb.March 9, 1768 -d. Oct.5,1813 then in spring of 1771 triplets Cat Follower,Stands Between,& Loud Noise/Tens It is told that she had about 13 children. She was later killed during a raid near Ice`s Ferry.W.Va. Check out the Barker/ Edgell /Trader/ Galloway/ Ice message boards, & A Sorrow In Our Heart/The Life of Tecumseh by Allan W. Eckert is quite informative.
I have come to find that Tecumseh had children with at least 3 or 4 different women. One may have been Rebecca Galloway-(relative of your Madge May Galloway)- Rebecca taught Tecumseh from the Holy Bible, & they may have been Quakers. Tecumseh & her dad met when Tecumseh went to see his boyhood home, & the Galloway family was residing there.The Galloway`s had the largest personal library in the S.Ohio area. The story of Tecumseh`s life is well depicted in the Tecumseh presentation in Chilliocothe,Ohio. It is peculiar that I am related to both Wm. H. Harrison & Tecumseh- & that Wm. H. had Col. Johnson ride his horse on the fateful day Oct 5, 1813, when Tecumseh fell in battle. & that you too are related to Galloway`s & Johnson. Small world, seven generations have passed & here we are descendants communicating. I pray that we all have learned to live peaceably with our mixed backgrounds. Take care. Mary

Posted: 1008022608000
Edited: 1109620490000
Who was the mother of Tecumseh? Her Shawnee name was Methotasa, meaning "A turtle laying her eggs in the sand. But where did she come from? Most of the books you read will tell you that the Shawnee's capture her while fighting the Cherokee, and the great chief Pucksinwah, married her. She became the mother of Chiksika, Tecumapese, Tecumseh, and the triplets, Sauwaseekau, Kumskaka, Tenskwatawa, who later became known as Lowawluwaysica (The Profit, although most who have studied about this family know that he was not the profit, it was his brother Tecumseh). Later they would adopt two white girls and a white boy who were taken as captives after fights with the white people.

Many people will tell you that Methotasa was first a Mohawk, or from some other tribe before she was taken by, or traded to the Cherokee. But, Methotasa was not Native American at all. Methotasa, mother of Tecumseh, was born, Marguerite Mary Iaac. She was born between 1728 and 1737 in Hampshire Co. WV. Her parents were Frederick Iaac Jr. who was born about 1713 in Holland and died in Monongalia Co. WV. And Mary Galloway, born about 1690.

While Frederick and some men were out one day, many members of his family were attacked and killed by a band of indians. His wife Mary Galloway Iaac was among those found dead.

Some of the children were taken as captives, Marguerite Mary Iaac, who was between the age of 5 and 10, William Iaac, John Iaac, and Christina Iaac. Marguerite Mary Iaac ended up with the Cherokee, she may have been traded to them, or sold, or captured by them. It was told that she had flaming red hair and was very pretty. She spent many years with the Cherokee, but was taken captive by the Shawnee after a battle between the two tribes. Mary soon became a favorite in the eyes of the Shawnee Chief, Pucksinwah, and they were married. That is who Methotasa really was.

In book, Sorrow in my Heart, by Allan W. Eckert, I read a passage about Methotasa going to visit her family after she was very old. I always wondered who they meant. There was reference in the book to it being her Cherokee family, but that didn't make sense to me since her cherokee family had died out. The Iaac (ICE) family tell a story about a woman, Mary Iaac, who had been kidnapped by the Indians when she was a small child, and returned in her olden age to visit with the family. This was around 1825. Mary didn't stay with the family, she only came to visit before going back to her people.

In many books I have read about Tecumseh's family there is reference to him looking like a white man. In fact he looked so much like a white man that he was able to dress in white mans clothing and walk into their camps and towns without being noticed. There were many references to him being a very handsome man. No one ever photographed or painted a picture of Tecumseh while he was living. But later someone painted a portrait of him based on a photo that was taken of his nephew who looked nothing like him.

Tecumapease was married twice, Her first husband died before their son was born, and her second husband divorced her. At one time she took off with a french trader but Tecumseh went after her and forced her to go back to her people. Some have her married much later to a Rupe Collins. If she married Rupe Collins she would have been in her late forties when this happened.

Ice's Ford was founded prior to 1769 by the brothers andrew and Frederick Ice. It was an outpost located at the foot of the beautiful hundred mile long Cheat River Valley. It was a combination of a store, meeting house, drinking place and message center. ..a stopping point for traders, trappers, scouts and adventureres. William A. Galloway, Old Chillocothe (Xenia, 1934)

Decendant of Tecumapease, sister to Tecumseh

Posted: 1008022982000
Who was the mother of Tecumseh? Her Shawnee name was Methotasa, meaning "A turtle laying her eggs in the sand. But where did she come from? Most of the books you read will tell you that the Shawnee's capture her while fighting the Cherokee, and the great chief Pucksinwah, married her. She became the mother of Chiksika, Tecumapese, Tecumseh, and the triplets, Sauwaseekau, Kumskaka, Tenskwatawa, who later became known as Lowawluwaysica (The Profit, although most who have studied about this family know that he was not the profit, it was his brother Tecumseh). Later they would adopt two white girls and a white boy who were taken as captives after fights with the white people.

Many people will tell you that Methotasa was first a Mohawk, or from some other tribe before she was taken by, or traded to the Cherokee. But, Methotasa was not Native American at all. Methotasa, mother of Tecumseh, was born, Marguerite Mary Iaac. She was born between 1728 and 1737 in Hampshire Co. WV. Her parents were Frederick Iaac Jr. who was born about 1713 in Holland and died in Monongalia Co. WV. And Mary Galloway, born about 1690.

While Frederick and some men were out one day, many members of his family were attacked and killed by a band of indians. His wife Mary Galloway Iaac was among those found dead.

Some of the children were taken as captives, Marguerite Mary Iaac, who was between the age of 5 and 10, William Iaac, John Iaac, and Christina Iaac. Marguerite Mary Iaac ended up with the Cherokee, she may have been traded to them, or sold, or captured by them. It was told that she had flaming red hair and was very pretty. She spent many years with the Cherokee, but was taken captive by the Shawnee after a battle between the two tribes. Mary soon became a favorite in the eyes of the Shawnee Chief, Pucksinwah, and they were married. That is who Methotasa really was.

In book, Sorrow in my Heart, by Allan W. Eckert, I read a passage about Methotasa going to visit her family after she was very old. I always wondered who they meant. There was reference in the book to it being her Cherokee family, but that didn't make sense to me since her cherokee family had died out. The Iaac (ICE) family tell a story about a woman, Mary Iaac, who had been kidnapped by the Indians when she was a small child, and returned in her olden age to visit with the family. This was around 1825. Mary didn't stay with the family, she only came to visit before going back to her people.

In many books I have read about Tecumseh's family there is reference to him looking like a white man. In fact he looked so much like a white man that he was able to dress in white mans clothing and walk into their camps and towns without being noticed. There were many references to him being a very handsome man. No one ever photographed or painted a picture of Tecumseh while he was living. But later someone painted a portrait of him based on a photo that was taken of his nephew who looked nothing like him.

Tecumapease was married twice, Her first husband died before their son was born, and her second husband divorced her. At one time she took off with a french trader but Tecumseh went after her and forced her to go back to her people. Some have her married much later to a Rupe Collins. If she married Rupe Collins she would have been in her late forties when this happened.

According to William A. Galloway, Old Chillocothe (Xenia, 1934) Ice's Ford was founded prior to 1769 by the brothers andrew and Frederick Ice. It was an outpost located at the foot of the beautiful hundred mile long Cheat River Valley. It was a combination of a store, meeting house, drinking place and message center. ..a stopping point for traders, trappers, scouts and adventureres.

Tecumseh was married twice, his first wife was, Mohnetohse, they had a son, Mahyawwekawpawe. He divorced this woman and his sister, Tecumapease helped raise his two sons.

His second wife was, Mamate, she died after giving birth to Tecumseh's second son, Naythawaynah.

Tecumseh and Tecumapease decendants

Posted: 1008023210000
I am a decendant of Tecumapease, sister to Tecumseh.

Tecumseh was married twice, his first wife was, Mohnetohse, they had a son, Mahyawwekawpawe. He divorced this woman and his sister, Tecumapease helped raise his two sons.

His second wife was, Mamate, she died after giving birth to Tecumseh's second son, Naythawaynah.

According to William A. Galloway, Old Chillocothe (Xenia, 1934) Ice's Ford was founded prior to 1769 by the brothers andrew and Frederick Ice. It was an outpost located at the foot of the beautiful hundred mile long Cheat River Valley. It was a combination of a store, meeting house, drinking place and message center. ..a stopping point for traders, trappers, scouts and adventureres.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic