Search for content in message boards

Parents of Samuel LONGMAN (born about 1828 in Wellington County, around Guelph)

Parents of Samuel LONGMAN (born about 1828 in Wellington County, around Guelph)

Posted: 1539438459000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Longman, Bright
Hello,

I've been having trouble searching for Samuel Longman's parents, as well as siblings. Samuel Longman married Emily Bright in the late 1840s and died in 1855. I also couldn't find the marriage certificate of Samuel Longman & Emily Bright online.

It could be possible that Samuel Longman's parents were born in England and moved to Canada shortly before Samuel was born.

Re: Parents of Samuel LONGMAN (born about 1828 in Wellington County, around Guelph)

Posted: 1539478384000
Edited: 1539526882000
Surnames: Longman
Here is a page from the Wellington County Archives Tweedsmuir Histories
that mentions several Longman members landowners which may be of interest.

https://www.wellington.ca/en/discover/mus-tweedsmuir.aspx

A page with Samuel Longman's name indicates he was a member of John Longman's family. John purchased lot 14 east half, Con 9 (Alma/Peel Twp) in 1856. This "Samuel" could be a nephew of the Samuel you are seeking?

Re: Parents of Samuel LONGMAN (born about 1828 in Wellington County, around Guelph)

Posted: 1539479506000
Surnames: Longman, Close, Bright
Thanks for the link, but it is JAMES LONGMAN who purchased the Lot, not John.

My Samuel Longman died in 1855, before Lot 14 was purchased in 1856. Maybe James Longman is Samuel's brother?

There was a James, Edward, Samuel, and John Longman in the family, as well as a Mrs. Robert Close and a Mrs. Mark Close.

Posted: 1539564720000
Sorry for the name mixup - yes, James purchased the lot.

And yes, I thought perhaps James may have been a brother of your Samuel, and named a son after his (the son's) uncle Samuel.

Posted: 1539627363000
Surnames: Longman
James Longman was of Woolwich, Ontario, west of Guelph. If only I knew his parents, but I couldn't find them.

It may seem likely that there weren't any BIRTH AND MARRIAGE RECORDS in Wellington County before 1860. I also e-mailed the Wellington site for help.

I also couldn't find visual evidence (a death certificate) of Samuel Longman. He died in 1855 in the Wellington area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic