Search for content in message boards

First Indian Muslim in US?

First Indian Muslim in US?

Posted: 1263952297000
Classification: Query

Who was the first recorded Muslim to arrive in the US from India? Anyone know if this is known?

Thanks

Re: First Indian Muslim in US?

Posted: 1264276383000
I don't think that that fact could be found, because:

1) People were coming to North America for hundreds of years before immigration records were used.

2) It is likely that at least one Indian Muslim was enslaved in the US at some point -- and the backgrounds of slaves are very difficult to trace.

3) I don't think that all immigration records/ships' lists recorded religious affiliations...?

Some Ellis Island records did record "Ethnicity" and some passengers have "Islam" under that BUT I doubt that these were the first Indian Muslims in the US...

Posted: 1264277015000
When researching Muslim history in the West, you need to know that Western writers used various terms, including:
Moslem
Mahomedan
Mahommedan
Mohamedan
Mohammedan
Mahometan
Mussulman
Musselman
Mussulmaun

Please note: Today, many Muslims find these historic terms offensive.

Posted: 1264301548000
Agreed on all points. But if anyone knows who the first "recorded" Muslim from India was to arrive in the US, I hope they will post his/her details here.

Posted: 1264309607000
Although Wikipedia is not always trustworthy, this article may be helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_States

I would document this elsewhere, just to be sure.

Posted: 1490040952000
Excellent book on Bengali Harlem and the Lost Histories of South Asian America.

http://bengaliharlem.com/category/book/

The author is looking for descendents to post their lost family history to his website and he is working on documentary.

Posted: 1490043062000
You should post this to a new thread. It is not about the message subject so lots of people are not going to see it.

I would take a look at the Ethnic categories. If a board there doesn't fit, then you can ask for a new board to be created.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic