Search for content in message boards

Harpers of Monaghan and Cavan.

Harpers of Monaghan and Cavan.

Posted: 1035487421000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harper
Is anyone researching Harpers or Harpurs that came from Scotland around 1730 to Co. Monaghan and Co. Cavan, Ireland. I have plnty of data I would be glad to share.

Re: Harpers of Monaghan and Cavan.

Posted: 1245973839000
Edited: 1246020061000
Surnames: Harper, Rudden, Rodden
Hi there. I know this post is 7 years old but hopefully this will bear some fruit. My GG Grandpa Patrick Rodden/Rudden's parent were Charles Rudden and Margaret Harper. Patrick was born in Co Monaghan and quite likely in the Clones Scotshouse area, I have been unable to find any records of marriage, birth death etc of Charles. Margaret did come to Scotland probably as a widow and was settled in Slamannan by 1861. Margaret was around 80 when she died in 1869. Her death certificate shows her Parents as William and Mary Harper.I would be so grateful for any info regarding the Harper and Rudden side of my family. We have the complete Rodden line from 1851 onwards and apart from Margarets death, have nothing else on any of the Irish births or deaths. Thank you.

Posted: 1308113501000
Surnames: Harper, Seymour, Walker
Hi,

I have an ancestor called Harper Seymour born Abt 1793 in Donagh/ Co Monaghan. I have not been able to find records for him except from his daughter's marriage (to James Walker, Clogher District) and death records (NSW, Australia). It is such an unusual given name so I am wondering if there has been a Harper-Seymour marriage pre 1793 in Northern Ireland.

I hope someone has some clues to offer.

Cheers,
Julie

Posted: 1308156957000
Edited: 1308231051000
Surnames: Harper, Harpur, Kennedy
Unfortunately I have no seymours in my data base. A first or middle name is often the same as their mother's maiden name. I have no relatives that lived in Donagh. I do have some Harpurs that live in Shercock Cavan but others from West Cavan, Drumlarney are not related (YDNA). There are a ton of Harpers in Belfast and Carnmoney Co. Antrim but again not related. In the 1700-1850 period families did not travel far afield - a ten mile radius. For example I have Kennedys in Monaghan (paternal maternal line) and others in Comber, Co. Down - (maternal,maternal line). But none are related. So not much help.

Posted: 1308187313000
Edited: 1308231082000
Surnames: Kennedy
Thanks anyway :) Your findings through DNA linking (Eg unrelated Kennedy families; movements usually within 10 mile radius) are fascinating and may be helpful indirectly.
Cheers,
Julie

Posted: 1338865594000
Hi

I would love some help with my Harpers.
I have a George Harper born about 1835 in Cavan Parish, Cavan County Ireland.
I have him arriving in NZ in 1863 from Australia. He was recruited in Australia to the Waikoto Militia to fight the Maoris.
I don't know his birth date for sure or his parents or when he left Ireland to go to Australia.
Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks
Rachel

Posted: 1338910210000
I can suply what I have on this George but Ancestry doesn't allow attachments (too much to retype) so contact me privately at mjkharper@gmail.com

Posted: 1359066893000
Edited: 1359115555000
Surnames: Harper, Meecham, Rodden, Robertson, Johnstone
Hi. I have William Harper c1771-c1814 m Mary Meecham bc 1773. Their daughter Margaret Harper 1789-1869 m Charles Rodden bc1786. Children of marriage: Patrick Rodden bc1831-1885 and John Rodden bc1837. John married Helen Robertson bc1839. Patrick married Mary Johnstone 1831-c1905. William's parents were Lowdy Harper bc1733-1822 and Mary Middleton bc 1743-c1787. My Harper connection is through Robert Harper 1767-c1830, a brother of William Harper. I have Margaret Harper Rodden's place of death as Binniehill, Slamannan. Charles Dodden's place of birth as Currin, Parish of Ematris, Co Monaghan.

Posted: 1359067320000
Hi there.

I would be delighted if you could share some info with me. We know our Harper lived in either County Monaghan or Cavan but we cannot seem to get anything concrete prior to 1830ish.

Thank you so much in advance and very much look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Mary Close

Posted: 1359069531000
Edited: 1359115765000
Surnames: Nixon, Harper, Clark
I am glad to get your rmail. I suspect that you are a Nixon and there is a boook about the Nixon family which I will check for anything relevant.

Now back to Harper. What you have is similar to what I have except i have William brother of Robert m to AgnesClark. I am not sure where you got your info but it is similar to what I posted at Ancestry.
The children of Lowdy are pure guesswork - same place, same time. There is a Lowdy Jr of which we have no further record and YDNA tells us that Lowdy might have had a brother who was the father of one or more of presumed children of Lowdy. If you snd me your email address,I can send a file with this info. Check the harper DNA results at www.familytreedna.com/public/harper and look at subgroup R1a1. Cheers Mike Harper (mjkharper@gmail.com)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic