Search for content in message boards

Barton Allen LATTA..b. Muskingham Cty. Richhill Township 1812..Parents?

Barton Allen LATTA..b. Muskingham Cty. Richhill Township 1812..Parents?

Barbara Wolford (View posts)
Posted: 1061120271000
Classification: Query
Searching for parents of Barton Allen LATTA b. either 5/13/1812 or 3/12/1812..could someone do a birth lookup for me please??
Thanks!
Barb
bwolford@stny.rr.com

Re: Barton Allen LATTA..b. Muskingham Cty. Richhill Township 1812..Parents?

Posted: 1061128812000
Edited: 1065542706000
Birth records weren't required to be recorded until 1867 in Muskingham Co.
You may have to search through old records, or contact the historical soc.or library in Zanesville to see what they have on file. Have you checked an 1820 census for the county? I did find a James Latta owning land, see search on this site http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohmuskin/
Barbara Johnson

ML Coombs (View posts)
Posted: 1063639779000
I'm afraid I can't give you the parents of Barton A. Latta, but he did marry in to my Elliott family of Rich Hill Twp. He married a younger sister of my 2-great grandfather John Elliott. She was Jane Elliott, born Feb. 8 1817, and married to Barton A. Latta on July 28, 1836. I believe I got the date in one of the early Ohio marriages books, or early Muskingum Co. marriage books. Jane was the daughter of Hugh Elliott (1787-1853) and Isabel Dougan (no birth date - died about 1823). Sorry I don't have more. I don't even have a death date for Jane yet. ML Coombs.

Barbara Wolford (View posts)
Posted: 1063645471000
Thank you SO much for your information..any information on Jane Elliot would be greatly appreciated..she's as much my husband's predecessor as Barton Latta..but the family has been trying to unravel Barton's mysterious past for years..and she has been slightly slighted!
Barbara

ML Coombs (View posts)
Posted: 1063650908000
Barbara; I gave you what little I had on Jane. Jane and my gg-grandfather John's parents were Hugh Elliott and Isabel Dougan. Jane's siblings were John b. 1810; James b. 1811; Eppie b. 1812 and married to William Watson in 1836; Simon b. 1815; Jane; Thomas b. 1820 and married Eleanor Elliott 1846; Hugh b. 1823 and married Arrena "Rena" Nobel in 1845. Isabel died, and Hugh remarried to Mary Hill in 1824 in Ohio. They had six children - Margaret b. 1825; Diana (1827-1828); William (1828-1828); Ibby (1830-1841); Mary b. 1831 and married a Mr. Smith; and William H. Elliott (1833-1834). "My" John stayed in Muskingum Co. Ohio, but other members of his family, including his father, "moved on." Hugh died in Burlington Twp., Des Moines Co., Iowa on Aug 5, 1853 (do not have it listed specifically if wife Mary died there also), and Hugh's son Thomas died in Paris Twp., Edgar Co., Illinois on Sept. 24, 1872. I believe that Hugh and Arrena (Nobel) Elliott might have died in Illinois also - I found them in an 1870 or 1880 census in Illinois (sorry for some of the vague references, but will have to dig thru all my tablets of research...and these are peripheral family lines for me.) Sooo, you might look in ILLINOIS and IOWA Census Indexes for 1850 and beyond. I hope this will point you in the right direction - Now you have me curious about the "mysterious Barton Latta". ML Coombs

Posted: 1556734870000
Surnames: Latta, Elliott
Dear ML Coombs,
Thank you again for sharing this information. I'm also descended from the mysterious Barton Allen Latta, for whom we've had a few breakthroughs using genetic genealogy. But Barton's wife Jane Elliott's parents (Hugh Elliott and isabel Dougan) remain enigmatic. That is, in addition to your statement in this thread, the same couple are flagged as her parents in Find-a-grave, but I have yet to find a single original source document linking Jane M Elliott (or any of her siblings) to her parents. I'm not saying that such sources do not exist, just that I can't find any, so I was hoping that you could tell us how you know Hugh and Isabel are John Elliott's parents? Is it family oral history, or some other idiosyncratic document (a family bible)? Because I just can't seem to find a death record for Isabel, nor a birth record for John (nor Jane), nor any other standardized record (census, church, etc) available from an online source that links these kids up to Hugh and Isabel.
Fingers tightly crossed that you still might be monitoring this thread.
Respectfully, Chris Carlson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic