Search for content in message boards

Lipsey / Lipsie Help with Obit from Eleanor PA 1900

Lipsey / Lipsie Help with Obit from Eleanor PA 1900

Posted: 1306944776000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1306944810000
Hello,
I am trying to track down more information on a ancestor of mine, Robert Lipsey,(families name changed to Lipsie some time after his death... at least my branch of the family anyhow), Born 1848 in Ireland, Married to Agnus Jarvie. He was a coal miner and died in 1900 ( i believe in may..) Also i have found his obit from a local newspaper stating up to that time the funeral was the largest ever held in Elenor PA. Im trying to find additional documentation of his life, property and ancestry in PA. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Matthew Lipsie

Re: Lipsey / Lipsie Help with Obit from Eleanor PA 1900

Posted: 1320358992000
Surnames: Lipsey, Lipsie
You may have this information already but here is where you can find a photo of his grave...

http://www.pa-roots.org/gallery3/index.php/jefferson/jeffers...

and his other family members

http://www.pa-roots.org/gallery3/index.php/jefferson/jeffers...

Posted: 1320359107000
Also he is listed in Who When and Where v.1, p.94 as being 48 years old, b. Ireland, d.5/5/1900 of cancer of the bowels, 8 weeks. Burial 5/27/1900 @ Old Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Posted: 1320359434000
Thank you for your reply to my question. I do indeed already have the photos of the cemetery plot i didnt however know about this book he was mentioned in. Is it possible for you to email a copy of that to me or is it viewable online? Thanks again!

Matthew

Posted: 1320359996000
It is in "Who, When, and Where" Volume 1 Jefferson County, Pa. Death and Marriage Records, 1852-1855, Death Records, 1893-1906, Compiled by Patricia M. Steele. This is basically a book of death records transcribed from the Jefferson County Courthouse. I do own a personal copy and can send you a photocopy!

Posted: 1320361082000
That would be GREAT! Now only if i could find a volume like that for Williamsport PA. I have it that the Robert we are speaking of was possibly married on October 23, 1876 in Williamsport to Agnes Jarive. But havent been able to hunt down documneted proof of that. Does this book hold any other information on the Lipsey / Lipsie Surname? Again THANKS so much!

Matthew

Posted: 1320361479000
Surnames: Jarvie, Lipsie, Lipsey
That is the only information with the surname Lipsey in the book. Here is an obituary that I just found although it sounds like you may already have it...

Indiana Evening Gazette
11 Nov 1936

Mrs. Agnes (Jarvie) Lipsie died at her home, 136 Morewood avenue, Blairsville of complications, at 6:00 am today. She was born February 26 (or 28 - not completely legible) 1858 at Dumbartonshire, Scotland. She was the daughter of James Jarvie and Miron Montgomery Jarvie. She came to the United States at the age of five years and located in Desire, Jefferson County, where she lived for 35 years. She moved to Blairsville several years ago where she had since made her home.

She leaves six sons, James, Plumville; Robert, Vandergrift; George, Commodore; Alex, at home, William and John of Blairsville, and a daughter Mrs. W.W. Hetrick of Emporium. Her husband, Robert Lipsie, preceded her in death May 25, 1900. Two daughters and two sons also are deceased. Surviving also are 21 grandchildren, three great-grand children, and two sisters, Mrs. Jean Blythe and Mrs. Mern Shaw, both of Clearfield.

Funeral services will be held at her late residence at 1:00 p.m. Saturday by the Rev. J.C. Stuart of the Blairsville Presbyterian Church, with burial in Odd Fellows Cemetery, Desire.

Posted: 1320361908000
I appreciate you passing along the info on the obit but i also have that. I dont have any obits for any of their children however, or Robert and Agnes's marriage info. Or any info on their Son George which is the line that my name belongs too. In any case i appreciate the help and the time youve taken to reply to my message!

Matthew
per page

Find a board about a specific topic