Search for content in message boards

Wyatts of Horsted Keynes

Wyatts of Horsted Keynes

Posted: 1269271325000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wyatt
I am related to the Wyatts of Horsted Keynes (and the Sirs Thomas Wyatt). My aunt and great aunts were the family historians and sent me the family tree as far as they knew. There were some gaps between Thomas Wyatt (1765 - 1856) of Horsted Keynes and the two Sirs Thomas Wyatt. The former Thomas left Britain and became a chevalier at Versailles. He had a son, presumably in Versailles,(Thomas) William Wyatt (1787-1830). William became a Captain and married Hortense de Vivefay (d.1869 at Versailles), who I am told was a lady in waiting to Marie Antoinette. I don't know how she escaped The Terrors. I believe they both died at Versailles. Their son Alexander Octave Wyatt emigrated to Australia in 1839 and married in 1859. He is my great great grandfather.

I have been trying to track the whole lineage from Thomas of Horsted Keynes to the Sirs Thomas. I have found the former was the brother of Richard, Sheriff of Sussex around 1789, and son of William (1691 or 1692 - death date unknown). William was the son of Frances of Cuckfield (?) Sussex (1658-1723)and Elizabeth Bysshe (1664-1726); Son of Frances (1623-1673) of Cuckfield; son of Frances (c.1600 - ?), who I believe is descended from RICHARD WYATT (the third son of Sir Thomas The Younger). This Francis married Timothie Burrell(c1600).

My father's sisters both carried Wyatt as a middle name and he had a framed coat of arms for a Richard Wyatt with a semi rampant lion above the shield, which he handed down to my brother. It has been decades since I have seen it.

I wish to get more corroboration since some genealogies have assumed the Horsted Keynes Wyatts died out in the World Wars and some suggest Thomas The younger’s Richard may not have had issue. If anyone can add to, confirm, challenge or elaborate on any of this, I would love to hear from you.
Email Julie: two_pi_r@fastmail.fm

Re: Wyatts of Horsted Keynes

Posted: 1269689009000
Hi Julie,

Is there any chance that you could find a male Wyatt cousin and get him to take the Y DNA test ??

Thanks.

William

f.wiatt@yahoo.com

Posted: 1269739229000
Surnames: Wyatt
Hi William,

Thanks for your interest and query.

Unfortunately Alexander Octave Wyatt's only son died in childhood. My 'Wyatt line' lives on only in middle names, an old framed coat of arms and scantily recorded and oral family history.

The closest I can get is my third cousin, the great grandson of A O Wyatt's daughter Hortense. Unless I find A O Wyatt had brothers born in France who had a line of male descendants, I believe that is the end of the matchable Y chromosomes for that line.

I can only pick away at piecing together the fragments and hopefully finding enough likely corroboration. If you know somebody who knows somebody who may know something (lol) to help in this crazy, painstaking task, please let me know.

Posted: 1314635470000
Surnames: Wyatt More Molyneux
Hi, I know a bit about this. I am a descendent also of Richard Wyatt, who was given the family crest. I still have it here at home if you would like me to get you a copy. I can tell you Richard Wyatt (1689-1753) married Susanna More Molyneux and through that line, following largely the mothers, we're descended also from the Plantaganets (King Edward). Happy for you to take a look at the tree I've worked on. My family are also in Australia.

My grandfather Ransome Tovey Wyatt came to Australia as a young man and had two sons. He was descended from Robert Burkitt Wyatt, son of Robert Wyatt. I am trying to piece together the link between Robert Wyatt and Richard Wyatt, which must only be one or two generations. I'm sure the link is there because of the coat of arms. Do you have any info on the sons of Richard Wyatt and Susanna?

What is the DNA test thingy? I have a brother, Tim Wyatt and a couple of Wyatt sons. Our Wyatt name will die out with them as all have girls.

Posted: 1314719360000
Surnames: Wyatt, Wiatt
I would appreciate copies of your genealogies.

I run the Wyatt Y DNA project. We have a web page here:
http://www.ftdna.com/public/Wyatt/ I can't discuss the cost on Rootsweb. Please email me directly at scperkins@gmail.com and I can answer questions for you.

We are trying to establish the Y DNA line of Sir Thomas Wyatt, elder or younger, and to find connections between people surnamed Wyatt, Wiatt and variants throughout the world.

Steven C. Perkins
Descendant of Samuel Wiatt.

Posted: 1314727607000
Surnames: Wiatt Wyatt

Dr Steven Perkins is the right person to ask about DNA testing.

I have participated and I am very glad that I did.

It confirmed a suspected link of my Wiatts to a family in Virginia and to a family in Florida.

That family crest sounds very interesting. It is an original from late 1600s-early 1700s ?

Thank you and Best wishes.

William

Posted: 1315038473000
Hi, Thank you for your reply. It's very exciting to find links.
Since my earlier posts, I have finally made an invaluable find - absolute Wyatt family history gold for our side of the family! I googled Richard's name yet again and found a 2010 online archive document by Edward Basil Jupp (1817-1877) "Genealogical Memorandum relating to Richard Wyatt of Hall Place, Shackleford, Citizen and Carpenter of London..."
Jupp compiled his genealogical memoranda from the 'Visitation of Sussex in 1662 Parish Registers' and other sources.

The online document, I found to be difficult to navigate, testy and frustrating; however, it has monumental inscriptions, parish records, wills, signatures and -- genealogical charts :) Perhaps print pages as you access them; maybe 40-50 pages but a worthwhile investment.

If there are male Wyatts in your family, it would be worth looking into doing Y DNA because that may be the only way to definitively prove a line to the Sir Thomas Wyatts. The genealogies do not allow for it in our line. Sir Thomas the Younger's son Richardus (who is not even on all descendant lists)is recorded as having died without issue. However, a Wyatt genealogist early this century acknowledged there was a rumour that Richard was whisked away to safety in Sussex when his father was attainted and beheaded for rebellion against Queen Mary.

I would be very interested in your family crest. It would be fascinating to compare with the one my brother has been entrusted with.

Cheers,
Julie

Posted: 1315097232000
Interesting link about Robert Burkitt Wyatt:

http://www.halhed.com/t4r/getperson.php?personID=I6834&t...

Posted: 1345862265000
Classification: Biography
Surnames: phillips wyatt
Hi Cousin!
We share common ancestors, I go back to John Jabez Phillips and Hortense Wyatt in Australia as well.
Currently researching the Phillips family tree in Staffordshire, if there is anything I might have that you would like please contact me, would love to hear from you.
I have the Phillips line back to Thomas (b.1706 Newcastle under Lyme) and his possible parents Thomas and Eliz(?).Also some interesting stories re Phillips for generations in Staffordshire.
I would be very interested in seeing anything you have on the Wyatt history.

Posted: 1345905753000
Hi Cousin :)

I have made some progress in my Wyatt research since my first post but it is slow going.

I have found William Thomas was the Wyatt stationed in Versailles, meeting an early death. Life in Britain would have been so much kinder to him!

Alexander Wyatt, our ancestor, was born there but emigrated to Australia as a very young man. With waves of revolutions, emperors and monarchy restorations, and further revolution hovering as a threat, France was probably not the safest or most stable place for anyone, let alone for half British half French young men. It seems all the sons as young men left France while most of their sisters married Frenchmen. One sister appears to have remained unmarried, following a career as an artist.

Please email me so we can share further family tree information:
two_pi_r@fastmail.fm

Cheers,
Julie

per page

Find a board about a specific topic