Search for content in message boards

Looking for Piotr Majdan

Looking for Piotr Majdan

Posted: 1186880122000
Classification: Query
Surnames: MAJDAN, MUDROEK
I'm looking for any information on Piotr Majdan. I know he migrated to Kalamazoo from Russia or Poland in 1913. He married an Agnes Mudroek sometime between 1913 and 1917 (the year of the birth of their first child). I believed he was in jail when he died; I have contacted the Archives department of the Michigan government so hopefully I'll get some info from them. But I didn't know if anybody had any relevant census data related to him or anything else.

Thanks.

Re: Looking for Piotr Majdan

Posted: 1186922636000
He is in the 1920 census listed as Peter Meidon, at 1104 1st St, Kalamazoo, age 26, from Poland in 1913, wife Agnes 22, from Bohemia 1913, kids are a son Elganus 2, born in MI, Valeria 3 months, born in MI. They have several boarders too. It looks like you had found him on the Ellis Island data base, arriving in 1913, going to a friend in Kalamazoo. Did you also see another passenger on that same page, Helena Zelasko who is going to the same person in Kalamazoo?
I am not related.

Posted: 1186935716000
Surnames: MAJDAN, MEIDON, ZELASKO
Wow. Thats a lot of great information. Thats the first time I've seen that spelling for Majdan. I have heard from a Polish surname researcher that its possible pronounced MY-DON in Poland whereas we now pronounce it MAY-JOHN. That spelling is a better indicator of its pronunciation. Also, the name of his first born is completely different that what I've seen. You said its listed as Elganus although its Eugene. Don't know if this was just poorly written on the Census form or if it changed somewhere down the line (Eugene was my grandfather). No, I did not notice Helena Zelasko. The Ellis Island manifest is very difficult to read. But it looks like they are going to Helena's father although I can't make out his name. Thanks again for the census info.

Posted: 1186936904000
Helena Zelasko's father is Kazimir (aka Casimir, or maybe changed later to Charles). I saw on the census that one of their boarders was Lithuanian, which is my nationality. Often the letter J is interchangeable with letters I or Y. And yes, the census taker may have misspelled the names. I can try sending you the census image, if you like. Let me know, MarieB1@chartermi.net

Posted: 1188014190000
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: MAJDAN; SPINJEL; MUDRAK; MUZAR
Kalamazoo County Clerk’s Marriage Record Book 8, page 269, doc. #16275. Groom Pete MAJDAN; age 23; occ Papermaker; res Kalamazoo, Mich; prev marriages 0; father Jacob MAJDAN mother Katie SPRINJEL. Bride Aggie MUDRAK; age 19; res Kalamazoo, Mich; prev marriages 0; father Valenti MUDRAK; mother Magdalena MUZAR. DOM 28 Oct 1916; POM Kalamazoo, Mich; official Bernard F. Ciesielski, Catholic Priest; wit Joseph Zlomainer & Frances Szuran both of Kalamazoo. (Posted by a VOLUNTEER-NO family connection)

Posted: 1188014617000
Classification: Death
Surnames: MAJDAN
Kalamazoo County Clerk’s FOREIGN Death Record 210, Kent County #343. Peter MAJDAN; age 41 yrs 5 mos 11 days; sex Male; race White; DOD 2 March 1936; POM Receiving Hospital, Grand Rapids, Mich; DOB 20 Sept 1894; POB Poland; marital status Married; surviving spouse Mrs. Agnes MAJDAN; occ Retired; res 711 Fletcher Pl, Kalamazoo; cause Chronic alcoholism with delirium and acute exhaustion; Jacop(sic) MAJDAN; mother Unknown; burial 6 March 1936 in Kalamazoo by Donovan Funeral Home; informant Mrs. Peter MAJDAN of 711 Fletcher Pl. (Posted by a VOLUNTEER-NO family connection)

Posted: 1188500878000
Wow. Thank you very much. That is great information. I may need to look into getting these documents from the Kalamazoo County offices. I'm sure it costs to have them mailed to you but does it cost to go and get them in person?

Posted: 1188566784000
The marriage record will cost $13 and will simply be a piece of paper with the same information I posted because it is an entry in a large book and not an actual certificate-in essence you would get a document that is like a short letter or memo. The death certificate would have to be acquired from Kent Co. since it is their record and Kalamazoo Co. cannot issue it. WHL

Re: Piotr Majdan

Posted: 1210209178000
nmajdan

The English Y is a J sound : MAJDAN/MAYDAN.
Piotr MAJDAN goind to a friend ZELASKO Kasimir, from Russia, Subsizzin; left a father Jacob MAJDAN in Subzessin,(Lubzessin), Lublin.
In 1990 census of names there were 711 MAJDANs, 15 ZELASKOs, 639 Z'ELASKOs and 260 MUDRAKs in Poland.
www.herby.com.pl/herby
http://maxpages.com/poland
www.rootsweb.com/~polwgw/index.html
www.surnamenavigator
www.halgal.com
www.moikrewni.pl/mapa/_names
http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/index.php?l=en
No V in Polish alphabet and no W in Czech and Slovak.
OVA is a female ending used in Czech and Slovak.
OWA would be Polish.
Agnes is not Agata. Two different first names.
www.skarbczyk.com

Re:ZELASKO

Posted: 1210210602000
nmajdan

ZELASKO Helena arr. in 1913 from Stipsezin going to father Kazimier ZELASKO, Kalamazoo, last residence Stipsezin, Lublin.
MAJDAN and Z'ELASKO in Lublin's phone book.
www.ksiazka-telefoniczna.com but because of privacy law, no full address.
A good locator www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm is locating North of Lublin a Pliszcyn and Spiczyn. Not yet sure if that is the misspelled Stipsezin. Could the MUDRAK ancestor be from Rokitno, which is North of Lublin? Our ancestors married within same region, religion (few exceptions) but for sure one common language and tradition.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic