Search for content in message boards

Voute family, Norfolk - originally French?

Voute family, Norfolk - originally French?

Posted: 1537021918000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1537022116000
Surnames: Voute, Vout, Vowte, Vought, Vaught
Hi all,

I have traced my Voute family branch back to Bartholomew Voute, who died in 1618 in Blickling, Norfolk.

This is the last concrete record I have - however I have seen from Ancestry family trees that others believe that Bartholmew’s parents or grandparents originally came from a place called La Voute in Ain, France.

The trees I’ve seen don’t give any sources other than other Ancestry family trees, so I am struggling to get back to where this information originally came from.

Encouragingly, I have found the Voute name in a book about the families of “strangers” who came to Norwich as Protestant refugees from France, Belgium and Holland.

It would mean a lot to be able to verify we are descended from French refugees.

Is anyone able to help me with further information on the Voute family's French heritage and how I might be able to prove it?

Thanks very much in advance,

Poppy

Re: Voute family, Norfolk - originally French?

Posted: 1537043554000
Classification: Birth
Edited: 1537045989000
The earliest entry in any Norfolk registers for a VOUT (or variants) is a Robert, baptised in Marsham on 22 May 1580. This is nearly half a century before the Edict of Nantes, so the family was possibly Flemish or Walloon, but not Huguenot.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic