Search for content in message boards

research BOUVIER

research BOUVIER

DUCROCQ Brigitte (View posts)
Posted: 908971200000
Classification: Query
Surnames: DUCROCQ - BOUVIER
Buongiorno, I research my grand grand mother BOUVIER Angelique, Aurelie, therese, born in CREMONA in 1860, married with LESPINASSE Paul Clement in France. Could you help me ? Multo grazie i a dopo. Arrivederci. Brigitte

Re: research BOUVIER

Posted: 1003068200000
Edited: 1110295674000
Buongiorno, Do you have a John BOUVIER in your grandmother's family who came to the United States, settled in Philadelphia, PA? He became a fairly famous Jugde. I would like information on him to add to my BOUVIER name research. All I know before he arrived in Philadelphia is that he was born in Italy.

Re: research BOUVIER

ducrocq (View posts)
Posted: 1003127985000
Hello,
My Bouvier's grand mother was born in Crema in Italy on 1859. But her parents was born in Prades (66) in France and Haguenay (67) in France also. The father's grand mother was militaire in musik. Could you tell me your origin in France (the towns).
My own mail is : brigitte.ducrocq@free.fr

best regards.
brigitte

Re: Judge John BOUVIER

Posted: 1056920961000
John Bouvier was born in Codognan, FRANCE in 1785; his mother's maiden name was Benezet, but I haven't been able to find out much about her family -- they obviously were not the prominent Benezet family of Philadelphia, as John only arrived in that city in 1802 along with his father, whose name I have not yet discovered.

Following various commercial enterprises, John Bouvier was admitted to the bar in 1818, and from 1838 until his death in 1851 was an associate justice of the court of criminal sessions in Philadelphia. He was the author of Bouvier's Law Dictionary, which is still used today -- a Google search reveals that it is even available in digital form; other well regarded publications include Insitutes of American Law, which he completed just before his death.

John Bouvier married Eliza Widdifield -- whose family I am also seeking details about -- and they had one child, a daughter named Hannah Mary. Hannah Bouvier was an author in her own right, publishing a well-known volume on astronomy. There was not, to my certain knowledge, any daughter named Harriet, or any connection to the McReynolds family.

Judge John Bouvier was my four-times-great grandfather; the above information is confirmed by family documents (including Hannah and Robert's beautiful Quaker marriage certificate).

Posted: 1056942595000
Surnames: BOUVIER
Virginia,

Hi, I do not understand what you are saying about a Harriet or a McReynolds. I have not seen those names before. My understanding was that Judge John was a Quaker and married a woman whose surname was Evans and that is documented in the Quakers records of Philadelphia. I believe they also had another daughter who died around age 18. Can you please give me information on his marriage to Eliza Widdifield, as I have not come across that information? My David Bouvier is still among the aliens that landed here.

Virginia Blankenhorn (View posts)
Posted: 1056975461000
Kim --

I apologize -- I think I must have got you mixed up with another person who posted information about John Bouvier and seemed to think his daughter's name was Harriet.

The trouble is that "John Bouvier" is a fairly common name -- "Bouvier" is French for "cowherd," and no doubt there were lots of them. And Quaker Bouviers aren't that uncommon either, it would seem.

The John Bouvier (1787-1851) from whom I am descended emigrated to Pennsylvania with his parents, Jean Bouvier and Marie (Benezet) Bouvier, and his brother Daniel in 1802, when he was about 16. Shortly after their arrival his father and Daniel were swept away by some illness, and Marie Bouvier in deep distress returned to France. John stayed in Philadelphia, became an American citizen in 1811, was admitted to the Pennsylvania bar in 1818, and later became a judge and the author of several books relating to the practice of law.

John Bouvier was married to Eliza Widdifield, whose parents may have been William and Elizabeth Widdifield also of Philadelphia; their daughter's name was Hannah Mary, and she was (as my family understands it) their only child.

I possess the original of Hannah's marriage certificate documenting her marriage to Robert Evans Peterson of Philadelphia, which took place at the Monthly Meeting of Quakers on Cherry Street, Philadelphia, on September 3, 1834. Among the guests -- all of whom signed as witnesses -- were a whole crowd of people named Widdifield, along with myriad Petersons, Evanses (Robert's mother was Jane Evans, and the Evanses are another very long story!) and other people who may or may not be related to either the bride or the groom. Apart from John and Eliza, there is nobody else with the name Bouvier among the guests.

This whole business is really interesting -- and confusing. I would suggest that your Bouvier ancestor, however, is not the Judge but somebody else. Because Judge John Bouvier was the only member of his family to emigrate (at least permanently) to the US, and because his only child was a daughter, the name died with Hannah's marriage to Robert Evans Peterson (except as a middle name), and all the other members of John's family remained in France. I don't know of any David Bouvier among them.

I hope this helps you untangle a knot!

Posted: 1056983950000
Surnames: BOUVIER
Virginia,
Thanks again for answering. Do you know how he came to be in Italy to emmigrate from there to here? Was he born in Italy? Or was Italy just a point of departure?
Yes, I have always been sure that Judge John and my David were not related, as I am also not related to Jackie. However, my David was supposedly born in Phila, ca1817. The only possibility of a relative that I have located is another John, who lived near David for about 20 years--either next door or around the corner. My David has always been listed as being a butcher, as was this John and his family. So, what I am really doing now, is eliminating all other families from what I know to be mine.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic