Search for content in message boards

licences for marriages in Hindolveston, Norfolk, England

licences for marriages in Hindolveston, Norfolk, England

Posted: 1353828691000
Classification: Query
Surnames: youngman cozens
I was looking at the marriage of William Youngman and Mary Cozens on 04 Mar 1802 at Hindolveston, Norfolk and noticed that they were married by licence with the consent of their parents. I was wondering if the licence would haev been kept and if so, whether it would include the names of the parents. I had a quick look at the licences in the Dean and Chapter of Norwich Cathedral and couldn't find it around 1802, and wondered if all licences would eb kept and if so how far after the marriage migth they be sent to the Dean and Chapter.

Best Wishes
Duncan

Re: licences for marriages in Hindolveston, Norfolk, England

Posted: 1353853134000
Hello

I am not able to assist re the licences but I was wondering if you know who witness 1 is on the transcribed record of their marriage.

On the transcribed record it gives the grooms abode as Wood Norton, when I checked bpts for Wood Norton I found a Susanna YOUNGMAN bpt 28 May 1780 parents Samuel and Hannah other siblings listed but not a William.

Regards
Su

Posted: 1353866619000
Hi

Further to my previous post witness 1 was a Susanna YOUNGMAN

Posted: 1353919797000
Hi, Su. The short answer is I do not know the relationship, at this stage. As the transcribed registers become more complete the greater the likelihood that we will be able to link more of the Youngman families together. At present, we are trying to find as much evidence as posible linking the Youngman lines we are following back to this line in Norfolk.

Best Wishes

Posted: 1508191082000
Hi Su, I am back on the track again. I ahve noticed that there is a quaker announcement of a death of a susannah and a birth of a william youngman at Tivetshall which is some way away in Southern Norfolk. However, wondering if beign Quakers they wouldn't have married in an anglican church.
It is a shame that unable to find the marriage licence record. I had a look when I was last in Norwich and I didn't see it althgouh may have been looking in the wrong place. If it exists, it would solve the mystery.

Posted: 1508619509000
Classification: Marriage
Edited: 1508619639000
Surnames: Youngman, Cozens
This is the index of the marriage licence on FamilySearch (from England Marriages, 1538–1973)
Name: William Youngman
Birth Date: 1783
Spouse's Name: Mary Cozens
Spouse's Birth Date: 1783
Spouse's Age: 19
Event Date: 04 Mar 1802
Event Place: Norfolk, England
GS Film number: 1595731

Film no 1595731 is
Marriage licence bonds, Diocese of Norwich, Consistory Court, 1802-1804

It seems to have both bond and allegation
You can search the film here
https://www.familysearch.org/search/film/004033409?cat=43705...

1302 images, but you probably could look at every other image or so, rather than all.
Does seem to include some from 1801, no obvious order
Good luck!
John

Posted: 1508620245000

Posted: 1508709234000
Many thanks. Having got back to the search after many years, I was wondering if anyone had indexed the marriage licences for the area, otherwise I will have a look and see what I can do nearer Christmas, as that seems the best likelihood of finding information about their parents. A not very thorough look many years ago didn't find the licence.

Posted: 1508759223000
Classification: Marriage

Posted: 1509214729000
Edited: 1509214747000
And well done to Su for identifying what seems to be the likely family, way back in 2012!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic