Search for content in message boards

Looking for a Lena Ann (Most likely Angelena, and maiden name started with an L) that married a US Soldier in NY in the 1940s

Looking for a Lena Ann (Most likely Angelena, and maiden name started with an L) that married a US Soldier in NY in the 1940s

Posted: 1414111518000
Classification: Query
Hi! I've been doing some research regarding my grandmother's mother's side of the family. My grandmother's uncle (her mother's brother) was Raymond Earl Reed. I am particularly interested in finding out the last name of his first wife whom he married in New York. She went by Lena though I believe her correct name was Angelena. All I have to go on about her maiden name is that it may have started with an L. She was Italian--my grandmother cannot remember whether Lena was born in America or if she was an immigrant, but her parents and brothers lived in NY as well and my grandmother remembers from Lena's visits to KY that she spoke English very well, but did have an accent. They would have married very early 40s...possibly 1941 or 1942. The marriage ended after World War 2 with his return home to KY in the late 1940s...she stayed in New York. I have had a hard time finding this information due to the fact that in the history realm it is considered "recent" history and the information is not as readily available as older archived records. Raymond Earl Reed was in the US Army and stationed in NY when he met Lena Anne (as our family knew her from visits and letters). In regards to his military service, I know that at the time of his marriage in New York he was a 3 time medal recipient as a marksmanship expert. Any information would be greatly appreciated and I will do my best to provide any information that I can in return. I would like to know what happened to her and any relatives she may have that would like copies of the various wedding pictures and individual pictures my family has of Lena. Thank you! K. King Huffaker.

Re: Looking for a Lena Ann (Most likely Angelena, and maiden name started with an L) that married a US Soldier in NY in the 1940s

Posted: 1414415521000
Do you have any idea where in New York he was stationed when he met Lena?

Re: Looking for a Lena Ann (Most likely Angelena, and maiden name started with an L) that married a US Soldier in NY in the 1940s

Posted: 1414523507000
1940 census lists the following info for an Earl and Lena Reed ; they were living in Sidney, Delaware NY. Maybe he went by his middle name?
Earl Reed, head, b. about 1888 in NY. Occupation: plumber. Usual occupation: Tool maker
Lena Reed, wife, b. about 1888 in NY

Posted: 1415689532000
Surnames: Reed Falanga
It didn't take long to find this at www.fultonhistory.com. Cortland Standard 31 Aug 1942 Page 5

Hopefully it's the right couple.
Attachments:

Posted: 1415690389000
They can be found in the 1940 census in Cortland.
Father Anthony
Mother Anna
Daughters Angelena & "Diania"

Oddly, the youngest daughter (18) seems to have the best-paying job.

Posted: 1415781862000
Edited: 1415781897000
Yes! This is the correct couple!! Thank you so very, very much for your help in providing this information!!!! I appreciate it more than a simple thank you can express. Thank you!!!

Posted: 1415967897000
no Reed children of that marriage, so u didn't really need this-plus, lena is either dead or in her 90's,but interesting
Diana J. Falanga, 60, of 27 Hubbard St., died Sunday at her sister's home at 37 Cedar St. Cortland
born Dec. 22,1921, in Cortland, to Anthony and Anna Falanga.
owned Diane's Beauty Shop in Cortland retirement in 1978, sold it.
member of the National Hairdresser's Association / communicant St. Anthony's Church.
Surviving -sister, Mrs. Lena Briggs ; two aunts, Mrs. Mary DiPietro and Mrs. Lena Reitano ,
a niece, Mrs. Margaret Nicholas , all of Cortland; great-nieces and great-cousins.
H. Patrick McEvoy & Bush Funeral Home, 122Tompkins St., St. Anthony's Church. St.
Mary's Cemetery.
Syracuse Post Standard February 15, 1982

Mrs. Anna Falanga, 86, 27 Hubbard St.died yesterday at home.
Services at the family residence and St. Anthony's Church.
St. Mary's Cemetery
H. Patrick McEvoy and Bush Funeral Home.
survived by two daughters, Mrs. Francis Lena Briggs and Miss Diane Falanga; a granddaughter, Mrs.Thomas Nichols; a greatgranddaughter, Lisa Ann Nichols; two sisters, Mrs. Salvatore
Reitano and Mrs. Angelo DiPietro, all of Cortland.
Syracuse Herald Journal May 24, 1976

Posted: 1416013567000
Thank you for your reply with information about Diane. I hope that I have simply misunderstood what you meant with your opening statement because I am not sure if you meant that I didn't need information about Diane and Anna or if you meant that I didn't need information referring to Lena, because I have not intended any offense to anyone and I apologize if you felt I was asking inappropriately for information. I know there were no children from their union and she would most likely have passed by now, but it is still a part of our family's story and you do not know my reason for seeking this information. I wanted to know more about the woman my grandmother fondly remembers meeting and visiting with on several occasions when she was very young, someone she has often wondered about in years since. Also, we have several pictures of Lena and Lena's family members (many unidentified to us) that belonged to my great-grandmother and were passed down to my grandmother. I was hoping to make a connection to her descendants and find out more about her and to share copies of the photographs with them.

While she is someone who was only a member of our family for a short time, her memory stayed with my grandmother and was passed down to me and my curiosity wanted to know more. I'm sorry if my post for information appeared offensive, but I assure you that I meant no harm in asking. I appreciate each reply to my posts.

Posted: 1416092460000
not what i meant at all! sorry! u should see my tree! extended families forever-even ones NOT close to us- i just sometimes get carried away in the info dept, and didnt want to send u stuff u didnt care abt- so since u do care, i will try to track down the remaining relatives.

Posted: 1416747065000
Edited: 1416747221000
http://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers%2021/Cortland%20NY%20Sta... Look under births, daughter born to Thomas and Margaret Briggs Nicholas, the address is the same as in obit.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic