Search for content in message boards

Chauncey Abbott (1815 - 1872), VT>VA>WI>VT>NE

Chauncey Abbott (1815 - 1872), VT>VA>WI>VT>NE

Posted: 1139087042000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Abbott, Strong
From "A Biographical Guide to Forest Hill Cemetery-2002", I find this bio: Chauncey Abbott (16 Sep 1815 - 30 Jan 1872) and Jane Strong (1828 - 11 Mar 1852) -- Section 2.
Abbott, elected in 1852, was the fifth village president (of Madison). He graduated from Middleton College in Vermont, tutored in Virginia from 1837 to 1838, then moved to Fort Winnebago in 1841 to practice law. After coming to Madison in 1843 he went to Mineral Point, formed a law partnership with Moses Strong, and married Strong's sister. Two years later he returned to Madison and partnered with John Catlin. In 1848 he was the Whig candidate for secretary of state, but lost. He was elected district attorney of Dane County and to the assembly in 1850. From 1850 to 1853 he was Madison's postmaster. In 1852 he ran for Congress, but lost. Abbott was the local pension agent for the Civil War, and was a UW regent. In 1867 he went to Vermont, then in 1871 settled on a farm in Schuyler, Nebraska.
Jane "had been afflicted for some time, but had borne it with a Christian-like patience and meekness. In her death, a husband has been deprived of a kind, affectionate and amiable wife, and a society of one of its brightest ornaments, and most worthy examples....
Anna (8 Dec 1827 - 1 Apr 1916) was Abbott's second wife. After his death she married Morris Fuller, and is buried in the Fuller plot in Section 31.
Chauncey and Jane's children -- Annie, Maxwell and Samuel were all exhumed from the village cemetery and reburied in Forest Hill on 14 Dec 1863.

Re: Chauncey Abbott (1815 - 1872), VT>VA>WI>VT>NE

Bill Abbott (View posts)
Posted: 1139162039000
Chauncy Abbott (correct spelling) was my great-great-grandfather. He was the son of William Pitt Abbott, the son of Seth, the son of Ebenezer, the son of George, the son of George Abbott of Norwalk, CT. No relation known to the George Abbotts of Massachusetts.

Chauncy was born in Cornwall, VT and died in Schuyler, NE. He married first Jane Strong who died in 1852 in Madison. Their children were John Strong Abbott and Mary Abbott. Mary died in Sudbury, VT unmarried. John Strong Abbott died in Madison in 1889, was buried there, but was later buried in Arlington National Cemetery. He was married to Anne Louise Mears. John and Anne's children were John Strong Abbott, Jane Maxwell Abbott and Ann Fuller Abbott.

Chanucy's second wife was Anne Damon Maxwell whose children were Chauncy Abbott, Samuel Maxwell Abbott, Annie Abbott, and Maxwell Abbott. The latter three all died young, not over age 3.

Chauncy Abbott II was born in Madison in 1857, moved to Schuyler in 1871 with his father, and died in Schuyler in 1918, and was buried in Forest lawn Cemetery in Omaha. He was the president of the Wells-Abbott-Nieman Co., a large flour milling company, and makers of Puritan Flour. His first wife was Frances Middleton Goldsmith Samuels of Madison, KY. and their children were Chauncy Abbott III and William Wells Abbott. William Wells later took the name of John Wells Bain for reasons unknown.

Chauncy II's second wife was Caroline Antoinette Woods, and their only son was Morris Woods Abbott, born 1898, died 1978. He was my father. I am William Woodruff Abbott. Please feel free to contact me for more information.

Posted: 1532466741000
Surnames: Abbott
Chauncey Abbott III was my grandfather and I would love to find additional information.

Posted: 1537037608000
Surnames: ABBOTT
Hello Helen, The Chauncy ( no "e") Abbott name gets confusing as we are up to 6 of them now. The Chauncy born 1815 was the first one. His son Chauncy 2 (he died in 1918) was my grandfather. He had 2 sons by his first wide, Frances Middleton Goldsmith Samuels; by his second wife Caroline Antoinette Woods he had my father, Morris Woods Abbott.

I am William Woodruff Abbott and have as much information on our family as anyone. I would be glad to correspond with you and learn just where you fit in. To save time you can reach me on email may as: dsppbill@gmail.com. I currently live in PA but was born in CT about 20 miles from Norwalk where George Abbott lived.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic