Search for content in message boards

Quinns of Hoboken, NJ

Quinns of Hoboken, NJ

Gail Budd (View posts)
Posted: 1100373189000
Classification: Query
I am looking for any info on my g-grandmother, Rose Clemintine Quinn, born Dec 8, 1886. She married John Rosa. I am told she may have had 8 sisters. I only know 2 of their names, Jean and Grace. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Re: Quinns of Hoboken, NJ

Posted: 1101915083000
Edited: 1103346139000
Surnames: QUINN
Do you possibly know if your gr-grandmother's father came over circa 1844 from County Donegal?

Our family information says that my great grandfather James Quinn came from Ballintra, County Donegal. He sailed to Boston in 1844, with either 3 brothers or 2 brothers and a sister. Upon arrival, one of the boys left immediately for New Jersey to work in an uncle's bar.

I don't have any names of the other three who came with James. But it is believed that ONE of the brothers was named Patrick - Patrick was killed in Boston when he fell from a horse. He was 21 at the time.

Any of this possibly passed down in your family? Patricia Quinn Meigs trader@piopc.net

Gail Budd (View posts)
Posted: 1101998556000
Unfortunately, no one in my family ever spoke of the past until I started asking questions a month ago, now all my grandparents are gone. I did find my g-grandmother on the 1910 census living with her parents in Hoboken, Owen L and Rachel Quinn. It states Owen was born in New Jersey, and his parents in "Ire-England". I can make the connection because John Rosa, my g grandfather was living with them as a border. I also have found an Owen Quinn living in Hoboken in 1880, about the same age as my Owen. Parents (Patrick b. 1820 and Mary b. 1820), and children (James, Owen and Mary), but have no way of telling for sure if it is the right Owen. The census states the parents were born in Ireland. These are all very common Irish names, but the only ones in Hoboken. They are found on the 1860 census as well, with older brothers, William, Joseph and John. I have a lot more digging before I find out when and where Patrick came to the US.

Posted: 1102000146000
I think we need to stay in touch.

While the Patrick Quinn I mentioned died in Boston, it's very obvious he was named after another relative. No one is sure when this Patrick came to the U.S. It's VERY possible he (my Patrick) was a later generation that came over after the first bunch arrived.

My gr-grandfather James Quinn was born 1828. Based on the names we have extracted so far, he was most likely NOT the oldest son. (My family followed the Irish naming traditions to the letter.) Your Patrick Quinn being born in 1820 would fit in with our time line of family we are working on.

I can say that my James Quinn had a brother named Donal, born 1814. This is the majority of the family line that stayed in Ireland, and these decendants are the ones I am in contact with. We are positive he also had a brother named Patrick.

I really do think we may have some connection here. We have been searching relentlessly for the branch that went to New Jersey.

Keep in touch with me, and don't lose my email address. I talk to the family back in Ireland quite a bit, and hope to go see them maybe this coming late spring. If this turns out to be that you and I are connected, I have a bunch of info on the family in Ireland.

Watch in particular when you are digging, for the following surnames to come up: McGrath, McDade, Tunney, Cassidy, O'Leary, Murphy, Barron, Cox, Travers, Forde, McCadden. Gallagher, McGonigle, McCrory, McGowan. In particular, the Gallaghers, Fordes, and McCaddens. These three family lines married into (and vice versa) the Quinns for a good 150-200 years, tying us all together in every way. I talk to members of these relatives at least once a week.

Patricia Quinn Meigs (obviously named after all the Patricks in the family!) trader@piopc.net

Posted: 1102000478000
p.s. - don't get frustrated, and DON'T give up! I spent 10 years searching, and never found anyone, except one distant cousin. (Our grandfathers were brothers) Then, one day, suddenly out of the sky, here came the relatives! Over the past two years, I've found tons of information and a LOT of living family.

This was a goldmine, a godsend, and the biggest present I ever got in my life. I had been told we were the last of the line, that there were no living family left anywhere in the world. How WRONG my father was! I never knew any family because of this being told to me. He hid the information for some reason.

You will never get over the feeling when you do finally make the BIG connection and find family! Patty

Posted: 1102341395000
Surnames: Quinn of Dalkey Co.Dublin
Have you posted an inquiry on the local area boards? A few years ago I was seeking a Joaeph Francis Quinn who was mentioned in a letter as living in that area, my search was brief because it happened he was in a Monastery but I had a reply from someone local who new first hand quinns who had extensive family in the area for several generations.

Posted: 1102343746000
I have posted on several other areas, but hadn't posted to the Hoboken area yet. Don't know why, other than I'm not sure where the relative ended up in New Jersey.

Plus, I don't have a first name. But, I think I"ll give it a try, based simply on the small amount of information I have.

For the other lady involved in this Quinn search, I'm not sure if she's posted for there or not.

Thanks for waking me up! I don't know why I've never posted to that board! It would help me at least some, I would think.

Patricia Quinn Meigs trader@piopc.net

Gail Budd (View posts)
Posted: 1102421749000
I haven't either. I will now, because one of the Quinns married a Browning whose son became a Priest!
Gail

Posted: 1102475090000
I put out an enquiry yesterday, but you should too! Your information might just bring an answer, where mine wouldn't. I don't have a lot to offer on any relative in NJ, but you've got something concrete to work with. Get it out there!!! Patty Quinn Meigs

Posted: 1550012765000
Hello
I am looking for any information on a William Quinn, who was married to my maternal grandmother Sarah hayden of Hoboken, around 1913 or so. All the information we have is that he died shortly thereafter after becoming ill. Thank you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic