Search for content in message boards

Sarah Douglass Reynolds

Sarah Douglass Reynolds

Posted: 1296258355000
Classification: Query
I am trying to find information on Sarah Douglass Reynolds, my great great grandmother who was born about 1835 in New York and came to Jefferson County, Wi by 1850. She married Washington Reynolds in 1853, Jefferson County, WI and they had three children: Benjamin S., Edith Adelle and Mary Estelle. Sarah and Washington were divorced in 1864. I am wondering if she remarried and stayed around Jefferson county. Thanks, Sheri

Re: Sarah Douglass Reynolds

Posted: 1299015989000
I'm not related to any member of this family.

Facts you should be aware of -
1850, 1860 & 1870 census records do not show family relationships or parental birthplaces.

1870 -
Name: Benjamin Reynolds
Birth Year: abt 1854
Age in 1870: 16
Birthplace: Wisconsin
Home in 1870: Farmington, Jefferson, Wisconsin

Washington Reynolds 49, NY - farmer
Mary Reynolds 28, NY [2nd wife??]
Benjamin Reynolds 16, WI
Edith Reynolds 14, WI
Mary Reynolds 12, WI
Vernon Reynolds 3m, WI

Cannot find any marriage record for Sarah [Douglas] Reynolds

Posted: 1299023957000
Thank you so much for the information-this is my family. Sincerely, Sheri Cox

Posted: 1299023980000
Thank you so much for the information-this is my family. Sincerely, Sheri Cox

Posted: 1328305277000
Sarah may be the daughter of Benjamin Douglass, b. 1805 in Maine, lived from at least 1850-70 in Aztalan, Jefferson Co, WI. In the 1850 census, a Reynolds family is on the same page and in the 1870 census, a Reynolds child is living with Benjamin's family. I am trying to determine whether there was a daughter named Louisa in this family as well.

Posted: 1328320580000
Hi Janet,
Thank you for your reply. Sarah is the daughter of Benjamin Douglass and his wife Roby (maiden name unknown). Sarah married Washington Reynolds and they had 3 children- Benjamin, Edith (my great grandmother) and Mary. They divorced and each remarried to someone else. Edith is listed in the 1870 census with Benjamin Douglass. I have been trying on and off for years to locate more information on the Douglass family and it is slow going-haven't found too much. I have recently found out who Sarah married after she divorced Washington and when she died and where she is buried. I haven't found info on the three children she had with her second husband yet. How are you related to this family? I would be interested in working with you on this family. My e-mail address is coxfam@svtv.com Sincerely, Sheri Cox

Posted: 1535388737000
Surnames: Douglass, Wheeler, Bishop, Belding, Powell, Marks
Sheri,

I recently worked out that Benjamin Douglass married Roby Wheeler in the early 1830's in Jefferson County, NY. Roby was the daughter of Silas Wheeler and Sally Bishop. Silas and Sally married in Chesterfield, NH on 24 Feb 1803. They went to Jefferson County, NY by about 1810. Sally died in 1823, and Silas remarried to Leonora Powell Belding, the widow of Aaron J Belding in 1824. Silas and his family members had gone to WI by the 1840's. Researchers of this family have stated that Silas' daughter Roby had married an unknown Douglass.

Silas was the brother of my ancestor Leonard Wheeler. They are both sons of James Wheeler and Rachel Unknown of Chesterfield, NH. James was born in Greenwich, MA, son of Ephraim Wheeler and Hannah Marks. My Leonard Wheeler also went to WI, in the mid 1840's. He lived in Dodge County, next door to Jefferson County, where I suspected another brother, Ephraim had gone, and died in 1844. While looking for any of Ephraim's children in Jefferson Co. WI, I found that a Benjamin Douglass was there.

There is a Dodge/Jefferson County WI Genealogical Society that has a clipping service that is searchable, so one of the names I searched was Douglass. There were a couple of pedigrees that contained Benjamin Douglass and Sarah Bell Douglass. I just got the information back from the society this week, and the pedigree does show that Sarah Bell is the Daughter of Benjamin Douglass and Roby Wheeler.

A Benjamin Douglass can be found in the 1835 NY census of Jefferson County, in the part of Lyme that later became Cape Vincent. Interestingly, the census shows that the family had a daughter born that year, which would be Sarah Bell. Silas and Leonora Wheeler were also living in Lyme at that time, and appear on the same 1835 census page as Benjamin Douglass.

Vanessa H

Posted: 1535567431000
Surnames: Douglass, Graham, Kench, Belding, Wheeler, Powell, Chandler
Janet,

Sarah Bell Douglass had a sister named Dora, probably named after Benjamin's mother Dorothy Kench. She was born in 1841 in Canada. Dora married Charles H Graham on 27 Dec 1860 in Jackson County, WI. There was one other child in the various census records, a Rozetta/Rosetta born 1850 WI. Not sure if or who she marrried. I haven't seen evidence of any other children of this marriage, but it was very early times in WI, and Aztalan was quite remote.

I don't know if this helps answer your question, but Benjamin Douglass did have a sister Louisa, born 1818. The website Wisconsin History shows that a Louisa Douglass married Samuel Belding in Jefferson County WI on 6 Feb 1842. I haven't been able to find any trace of her beyond this. I believe this Samuel Belding was the son of Aaron Belding and Leonora Powell. Aaron died not long after Samuel was born, and Leonora remarried to Silas Wheeler. If I am correct, Louisa had 4 children with Samuel: Adelia (1844), Henry (1849), Benjamin Franklin (1852), and Aaron (1854). She appears to have died before 1856, when Samuel married Altheda Chandler in Fillmore Co, MN.

Best of luck in your search for Louisa!

Vanessa H.

Posted: 1562602660000
Surnames: Douglass, Beers, Bears, Broadway
Janet,

I just found Benjamin and Roby Douglass' daughter Rosetta. I was looking for death information on Benjamin and Roby, and found that Roby had sold their land in Jefferson county in 1882, and the deed showed that she was living in Columbus, Cherokee Co., KS!

Their daughter Rosetta was living in Cherokee Co., too. She appears to have married George E Beers/Bears about 1869, as her first child was born in Kansas in 1870. George was the son of Harvey R Beers. The Beers family was recorded twice in the 1860 census, once in Farmington and once in Aztalan in Jefferson Co.

1860 Aztalan

H R Beers 35 NY Merchant
Ann 35 PA
George 11 PA
Frank 7 PA
Margaret Rowley 19PA
Chas D Graham 25 MA (married Dora Douglas)
P H Lawrence 25 VT
T B Banks 35 NY
C M Taylor 23 NY

I had not been able to find Rosetta because she was always listed as "Etta" in the censuses.

I found Roby Douglass in the Columbus City Cemetery:

Robey Douglass
b. 27 Oct 1812
d. 17 Jul 1901 88 yrs

The Cherokee Co. death record showed only that she died of senelity.

I didn't find a grave for Benjamin Douglass, but the local historical society had an obituary index that indicated he died on 5 Feb 1881.

Even though Roby lived into 1901, I was not able to find her in the 1900 census. Perhaps she had been visiting one of her other children. I will keep looking.

Rosetta and George Beers/Bears had two children:

Fred b. 31 Jan 1870
Grace b. 1883-5 m. Clarence Broadway

Vanessa H.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic