Search for content in message boards

Helen Mary Rheome born 17 July 1904, St Lawrence County, City of Ogdensburg, New York

Helen Mary Rheome born 17 July 1904, St Lawrence County, City of Ogdensburg, New York

Posted: 1555874955000
Classification: Query
Surnames: RHEAUME / RHEOME /REHOME/McGuire
I’m looking for information a Helen Mary Rheome born 17 July 1904! I have a copy of a marriage license #3667 dated 22 April 1932 from St Lawrence County, City of Ogdensburg, New York. I listed her living at 215 King St Ogdensburg, NY, Father's name Andrew Rhoeme, Mother's name Harriet Delair. She married Edward Wiegand for Rochester, NY, his parents are listed as George Wiegand, after and mother Anna Hanes Wiegand. The son of Helen knew her maiden name as McGuire until he found the original marriage license.

We know of a brother Edgar Rheome we think he married Venita House both had a summer business of Fishing Guides on Black Lake. I think I have found Edgar Rheome burried Black Lake Cemetery Morristown, St Lawrence County, NY with Venita

The spouse family all ties into Rheome/Wiegand family we are now tying to find her family in Ogensburg and the trail has going cold.

Re: Helen Mary Rheome born 17 July 1904, St Lawrence County, City of Ogdensburg, New York

Posted: 1560202597000
Hi,

I found your family tree on Ancestry. What specific info are you looking for?

Re: Helen Mary Rheome born 17 July 1904, St Lawrence County, City of Ogdensburg, New York

Posted: 1560203685000
Surnames: RHEAUME / RHEOME /REHOME/McGuire/Delair
Helen Mary Rheome, could have been there, City Orphanage 1917 to 1932, I show her mother as Harriet DeLair and her father as Andrew Rheome. This the marriage license that gives me Helen, living at 215 King Street in Ogdensburg, Ny ( Which I think was the address of Ogdensburg City Hospital and Orphan Asylum). She born July 17, 1904 in Ogdensburg.

I found a newspaper article Ogdensburg News dated 7 September 1917 page 5 - Pertaining to Helen & brother Edgar Rheome being removed from their mother Hattie"s care. Transfer to the City Orphanage?

Edger Rheome was adopted by after 1918 to Step Father and Step Mother Andrew E. and JOSEPHINE RHEOME 523 Rensselaer Ave 1927, 1928, 1929 Directory and 1930 Census living with other children George A., Orville, Laura, Edward E. and Clarence Rheome.

I'm trying to locate his(Edger) adoption information from the City Orphanage which was mentioned in the above newspaper. I'am also hopeful in finding Helen Mary Rheome, because her last name became Helen Mary McGuire assuming she was adopted by a family with the last name McGuire?

Posted: 1560283226000
Surnames: Reome, Rheome, Rehoeme
Hi,

1905 Ogdensburg
Andrew Reome, b. USA, 51, day laborer
Hattie, dau, b. USA, 18
Antwine, son, b. USA, 16, day laborer
William, b. USA, 13
Hellen, granddau, b. USA, 10/12ths

In the 1910 Ogdensburg Census Andrew (father), Hattie (dau), Antonie, Wilburn and Helen but no Edgar.

If Helen and Edgar were removed from hattie's care, was that Hattie Andrew's (father) daughter or his wife that hadn't lived with the family since 1905?

I don't think Edgar was adopted in 1918 because he's not on the 1920 Census with Andrew (son) and his wife Josephine. Helen/Helene is living with them and their children.

1930 Ogdensburg
Andrew Rehoeme, NY, abt. 1880
Josephine, b. NY, 49
Orville, b. NY, 29
Edward, b. NY, 28
Clarence, b. NY, 26
George, b. NY, 23
Laura, b. NY, 17
Edgar, adopted son, b. NY, 20
Patricia Roth, neice, b. NY, 5

I don't think you will find Edgar's adoption information because those records in New York are confidential and under court seal. An adoptee who was born or adopted in New York, the birth parents or biological sibling can register with the Adoption Information Registry to obtain certain kinds of information per New York State Dept. health, https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/adoption.htm.

I didn't find Helen after the 1920 Census probably because the indexers mangled the spelling of her surname. Since she was 15 then, I don't think she was adopted but probably married young.

All Vital Records after 1880 were originated and filed at the Town Clerk's office with a copy sent to New York Deptt. Health, Vital Records Section. Birth records are restricted for 75 years, marriage and death records 50 years. Successful Searching!

Posted: 1560287045000
Surnames: RHEAUME / RHEOME /REHOME/McGuire
The marriage license that gives me Helen, living at 215 King Street in Ogdensburg, Ny ( Which I think was the address of Ogdensburg City Hospital and Orphan Asylum). The license show her mother as Harriet DeLair and her father as Andrew Rheome.

Edger Rheome living with Step Father and Step Mother Andrew E. and JOSEPHINE RHEOME 523 Rensselaer Ave per the Directories 1927, 1928, 1929 and 1930 Census living with other children George A., Orville, Laura, Edward E. and Clarence Rheome.

The 1930 Census that you used did it have Orphanage listed?

The family knew of their mother living in an Orphanage, and knew Helen their mother's maiden name as McGuire until they found the marriage license which showed Rheome and the license shows this as her 1st marriage. We have been trying to piece Helen's life together before the marriage 23 April 1932 Ogdensburg, New York to Edward F. Wiegand at St Joseph's chapel at 8:00 am Saturday morning, Mr & Mrs William Rheome Aunt & Uncle attended the couple and held a lunch at there home in Ogdensburg, NY

Posted: 1560439848000
Hi,

The 1930 Ogdensburg, St. LaWRENCE, NY Census listed the Rehoeme family Andrew and Josephine and children including Edgar. They were not living in an orphanage.

Posted: 1564783453000
Surnames: Rheome, Delair, Rishe, Celenzo
Received this information about Egdar Rheome Helen's brother:
laurie donohue

Mon 7/29/2019 11:29 AM
Hi,

I saw your posting on Rheome and as a had a few in my files I looked for your names and found this for Edgar Rheome who is buried in BLC:

Funeral services for Edgar W. Rheome, 75, 511 Ogden St., Ogdensburg, were held Tuesday with a Prayer Service at 10 a.m. at the Fox Funeral Home in Ogdensburg and a Funeral Mass at 11 a.m. at St. Peter's Church in.... burial in Black Lake. Rheome. He was born in Ogdensburg on Dec. 22, 1910, son of Andrew Rheome and Josephine Ferguson Rheome. He was married to Venita House on Oct. 2, 1940 at St. Patrick's Church in Rossie with Rev. C. Collins officiating. He served in the Army from 1943 to 1946 during World War II. He was later employed at the former Cleveland Container Company in Ogdensburg for 10 years. He was employed as a construction laborer for the former Fletcher-McCarthy Construction Company and the Morley Construction Company in Ogdensburg until he retired in 1972. He was a licensed fishing guide in Black Lake. He was an avid sportsman......

Published on February 10, 2000, Page 33, Watertown Daily Times
LAURA R. APPLE WORKED AT SHADE ROLLER
Laura R. Apple, 87, formerly of Riverview Towers, died Wednesday at St. Joseph's Home, where she had resided since Feb. 2, 1996.
Mrs. Apple worked at Standard Shade Roller for 18 years before her marriage.
She was a communicant of Notre Dame Church a member of the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars auxiliaries and the Golden Age Club.
Born May 27, 1912, in Ogdensburg, daughter of Andrew and Josephine Ferguson Rheome, she married Miles Apple on June 24,

Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Rheome, 523 Rensselaer Avenue, announce the marriage of their daughter, Laura Josephine, to Myles Frederick Apple, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Apple of Hammond. They were married on Saturday, June 24, at Notre Dame Rectory by Rev. Leon F . Legault. Attendants were Mr. and Mrs. Roy Austin, also of this city. Mr. and Mrs. Apple will reside in Ogdensburg. 19

Andrew E. Rheome Dies At Hospital Andrew E. Rheome, 75, died last night (Oct. 7, 1949) at the A. Barton Hepburn Hospital, where he had been a patient for ten days. He had undergone a major operation and failed to rally. Born in Oswegatchie, Sept. 25, 1874, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Rheome Sr., Mr. Rheome was educated in local schools and was a bricklayer and mason by occupation. He worked on such construction projects as the St. Lawrence State Hospital and the A. Barton Hepburn Hospital. On June 18, 1901, he was married to Josephine Ferguson at the Notre Dame Church in a ceremony performed by the late Rev. P. O. LaRose. Surviving are his wife, four sons, Orville, Edward, Clarence and George, all of Ogdensburg; two daughters, Mrs. William (Irene) Barling, Prescott and Mrs. Miles (Laura) Apple, Ogdensburg; two brothers, William and Alfred Rheome, both of Ogdensfourg and one sister, Mrs. Ellen Decair, Ogdensburg. Seven grandchildren also survive. Mr. Rheome was a member of the Notre Dame Church Parish and the Bricklayer's' Union. Funeral services will be held from his late home Monday at 10 a.m. and at 10:30 a.m.'in Notre Dame Church. Burial will be made in the family plot at Notre Dame Cemetery. 1949

—The marriage of Miss Josephine Ferguson and Andrew Rheome took place last evening at Notre Dame church, Very Rev. P. O. Larose officiating 1900

Parents of Andrew Rheome, Jr:

A small frame dwelling at the corner of Gilbert and Congress streets was burned Saturday afternoon at 3 o'clock. It was owned by J. P. Ames and occupied by Andrew Rheome, a laborer. Rheoms, who is a widower, lived with his four children in the house. Hattie, his 13-year-old daughter, was baking bread, and left the house for a short time to escape the heat of the cook stove. When she returned she found the kitchen in flames. The neighborhood was alarmed, and the fire-department was called to the scene. Owing to the distance from the house to the nearest box, about three eighths of a mile, considerable time had elapsed before the firemen arrived, and the building was enveloped in flames. The house with its contents was entirely destroyed. The total loss is about $500. Mr. Ames carried $250 insurance on the house. Bheome has been singularly unfortunate during the past year. First his wife died and then three of his children, and he can ill afford his latest misfortune. Three of his family are small, ranging in ages from 13 to 6 years. 1900 OJ

Children of Andrew Rheome, Sr:

Mrs. Ellen Decare, 90, wi dow of Josepqh Decare, 100. Congress St., died at the famil; residence early Saturday morn ing, May 30. Death was due t< the infirmities of old age. Born in Rossie, on Sept.l' 1869, Mrs. Decare was th daughter of the late Andre and Helen Delair Rheome. Sh •received her early education i: rural schools at Rossie, and o- Jan. 4, 1893, she married Josep! Decare of Ogdensburg at Notr Dame Church, with the la+ Rev. P. O. Larose officiatii.. Mr. Decare died about 50 year ago. Mrs. Decare was a meirbe of Notre Dame Church,. Surviving her death are son, Henry, Ogdensburg, and brother, William Rheome, als of this city. Four grandchildre also survive as do severs nieces and nephews. The body is resting at the La londe-Briggs Funeral Horn where services will be he] Tuesday at 9 a. m., followe by a requiem funeral mass i 9:30 at Notre Dame Churcl Burial will follow in the famil plot at Notre Dame Cemetery. OJ 1959

Mrs. Harriet Celenzo died unexpectedly this morning at her home, 629 Main St. A daughter of Andrew and Helen Delair Rheome, Mrs. Celenzo mas bom in this city and had resided here practically all her life. She was a member of Notre Dame Church. Surviving besides her husband, Joseph Celenzo, are a son, Edgar, one daughter, Mrs. Helen Weebar and a sister, Mrs. Helen Decaire, all of this city; three brothers, Andrew, Fred and William Rheome, all of Ogdensburg. Funeral arrangements will be announced later. 1939

Alfred A. Rehome, 62, Metropolitan Insurance agent, died at A. -Barton Hepburn Hospital at 8:10 p.m. Saturday (Feb. 16, 1952) suffering from a heart ailment for the last nine years..His home was at 329 Grant St. He was born in Ogdensburg July 7, 1889, son of the late Andrew and Ellen Delair Rehome. He attended local schools. He was married to Caroline Rishe of this city. Mr. Rehome was a member of St. Mary's Cathedral Parish and the Holy .Name Society. He is survived by his wife a •sister, Mrs.. Allen DeCare and a brother William Rehome all of this- city. Funeral services will be held at his' home Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. and in St. Mary's Church at 10 a.m, where a solemn High Mass of Requiem will be celebrated. Burial will be in the family lot in St. Mary's Cemetery. 1952

Good luck in your hunt!

--
Laurie Davidson Donohue

Posted: 1564783589000
Surnames: Rheome/McGuire/Wiegand
Hi Laurie,

Thank you for this information. I have a cousin who’s mother was Helen Rheome, this fact came years after her death when he was going through some of her documents and found her marriage document listing her as Helen Rheome not what he knew her last name to be McGuire. He knew she had lived in an orphanage, and he and his family visited at Black Lake to see her brother Edgar and wife Venita W. House, and her Uncle Bill (William) H. Rheome. William’s wife was Naomi Fadden.

I have found an article from 7 Sep 1917 Ogdensburg, St Lawrence, New York Newspaper Ogdensburg News page 5; after an investigation by the SPCC officer Jerome T. O’Brien of Gouverneur, the two children of Hattie Rheome, Helen 13 and Edgar 8, have been committed to the orphanage by the Justice of the Peace Homer M. Wallace. The children had no guardian, on which grounds the complaint was made. The mother had been living with an Italian at Morristown. Some language for that time.

I was finding more information about Edgar so I was trying to piece his life together.

The newspaper from Ogdensburg, St Lawerence County, New York, The Republican-Journal April 25, 1932 pg 5 Couple are Married at Chapel Saturday Miss M. Rheome niece of Mr and Mrs William Rheome of the city and Edward Wiegand, of Rochester, were married at 8 o’clock Saturday morning at St Joseph’s chapel. Rt. Rev. Msgr James J. Lacey celebrated the nuptial mass.
The aunt and uncle of the bride attended the couple, Mrs. Wiegand is an alumnus of Rochester City hospital and her husband is a stone mason of that city. The couple will make their home in Rochester. The marriage license listed Helen’s parents as Andrew Rheome and Harriett Delair both of Ogdensburg and Helen was living at 215 King Street Ogdensburg (which was the church or orphanage)

I had also found the article about Hattie starting the fire. I found this; Andrew Rheome, Sr.(1852) and Ellen Delair(1853) suffered some tragedies, Ellen Delair Rheome died suddenly in 1899, and just prior to his wife’s death they lost 3 children.

I found this: The Cenus Records from 1905 show that Helen was 10 months old and living with her Grandfather Andrew Rheome, Sr. at 22 South Jersey Ave, Ogdensburg, also listed are Uncle William (Bill) age 13, Aunt Hattie age 18, Uncle Antwine ? age 16

The Cenus Records from 1910 shows that Helen was still living with her Grandfather Andrew Rheome, Sr., living at 27 South Street with Uncle William (Bill) age 17, Aunt Hattie age 21, Uncle Antwine ? age 18

The Cenus Records from 1920 - Helen Rheome shows her living with Andrew and Josephine Rheome and children Orvile, Edward, Clarence, Irene Laura and Helen Rheome neice, however, no Edgar???

The Cenus Records from 1930 shows Edger Rheome living with Andrew and Josephine Rheome and children Orvile, Edward, Clarence, Irene Laura and Edger an adopted son?? 523 Rensselaer Ave.
Edger Rheome was adopted by after 1918 to Step Father and Step Mother Andrew E. and JOSEPHINE RHEOME 523 Rensselaer Ave 1927, 1928, 1929 Directory and 1930 Census living with other children George A., Orville, Laura, Edward E. and Clarence Rheome.

In revisiting the Cenus Records from 1930 just below the Rheome family is Joseph and Harriet Celenzo he was 32 and she was 39 living 529 Rensselaer Ave. Who you have shown as Andrew’s sister.
Since you have so much good information about Edgar and the Rheome family I would like your permission for me to be able to include your info into the Rheome Family search. My thought being that with everything you have provided maybe someone else might know about Helen M. Rheome/McGuire/Wiegand.

George Wiegand
conesuslake@hotmail.com

Posted: 1564783813000
Surnames: Rheome/Delair/Celenza
Hi George

I am not a blood relative, but a few of my relatives have married into the family, so I started collecting information on them when I found it.

As Hattie Rheome Celenza lists them as her son and daughter in her obit, do you have any clues who their father is? Do you think they have the same father?

I love a good mystery and as prolific as my ancestors were, I never know when I might find new cousins!

Nice to meet you!

Laurie

Sent from my iPad

Hattie Rheome Celenza, parents are Andrew and Helen Delair Rheome.

Which Andrew Rheome and Harriett Delair were Helen and Edgar Rheome parents and how did Helen get the last name McGuire? I don’t have birth certificate for Edgar to know his TRUE parents all I have is the newspaper article I have found an article from 7 Sep 1917 Ogdensburg, St Lawrence, New York Newspaper Ogdensburg News which stated Hattie had two children were removed from her house!

Thank you again for you information,

George
per page

Find a board about a specific topic