Search for content in message boards

Celia Page of Buckingham County, VA

Celia Page of Buckingham County, VA

Shawn Potter (View posts)
Posted: 1002982708000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Page
Can anyone identify the parents of Celia Page of Buckingham County, VA? Here is all I know about her and her family.

CELIA PAGE was born September 18, 1732 (or perhaps later?), and died March 31, 1799 in Buckingham County, VA. She married HENRY WHITE Abt. 1748 in Buckingham County, VA. He was born April 24, 1724 in Buckingham County, VA, and died June 17, 1802 in Bedford County, VA.

Notes for HENRY WHITE:
Will of Henry White, August 13, 1800} I, Henry White of the County of Bedford, make and constitute this to be my last will & testament in manner and form following,
My will & desire is first that all my lawful debts be paid after which I leave the money now arising from the sale of my land to all my sons to be equally divided among them, the money now arising now from the property already sold in Buckingham County on the first & second day of November 1799 also.
My money that I have lent out with my personal estate that I brought up from Buckingham, to wit, Abraham, Rachel & Maryann, to be equally divided between all my sons & daughters including my granddaughter, Judith David, equal with my own daughters, that is to say that she shall have an equal part with each of them. If Judith David departs this life before she become of age, then her part to be equally divided amongst the rest of my children.
Item. I also leave my household furniture that I brought up with me from Buckingham to Bedford & a horse, bridle, & saddle to my son, Jacob White.
I do hereby nominate & appoint my son, Jacob White, & my son, William White, my executors of this my last will & testament by me made this thirteenth day of August eighteen hundred.
Henry (his X mark) White
Signed, sealed & delivered in presence of Charles Gwatkin, Fell Sesueur, Julius Hatcher, Sr.
At a court held for Bedford County this 27th day of September 1802, This last will & testament of Henry White, deceased, was proved by the oath of Fell Sesueur & Julius Hatcher, witnesses thereto, and ordered to be recorded and on the motion of Jacob White, one of the executors named in said will who made oath thereto, certificate is granted him for obtaining probate thereof in the due form giving security, whereupon he, together with Thomas Sagwood his security, entered into and acknowledged their bond in the penalty of six thousand dollars, conditioned for the said executors, due & faithful administration of said decedents estate & performance of his will, liberty being reserved William White, the other executor named in said will, to join in the probate thereof when he shall think fit.
Teste J. Steptoe, C. B. C.
[Bedford County, VA, Will Book 2, pp. 366-7]

Inventory of Estate of Henry White, deceased} Agreeable to an order of the worshipful court of Bedford County of September 1802, we the undersigned, being first sworn, have appraised the estate of Henry White, deceased, in the following manner, viz.
One negroe man named Abram £115.0.0
One negroe woman named Rachel £80.0.0
One small negroe girl named MaryAnn £20.0.0
One negroe child named Charity £15.0.0
Total £230.0.0
November 30, 1802
Charles Gwatkin
Thomas Hubbard
Julius Hatcher
At a court held for Bedford County the 27th day of December 1802, This inventory of the estate of Henry White, deceased, was returned to court & ordered to be recorded.
Teste J. Steptoe, C. B. C.
[Bedford County, VA, Will Book 2, pp. 394-5]

Jesse White, John White, & James Brown of Elbert County, GA, appoint Henry Page White of Franklin County, VA, or true and lawful attorney to receive & to receipt to Jacob White, exor. of Henry White, late of Bedford County, VA, deceased, all our distributive share or legacy which fell to us by the last will & testament of Henry White, deceased, 16 Nov. 1803.
Signed James Brown, John White, Jesse (x) White.
Test: Archelus Jarratt, J.P., Thomas B. Scott.
Registered 17 Nov. 1803.
[Elbert County, GA, Deed Book H, p. 172]

Children of CELIA PAGE and HENRY WHITE are:
i. JOHN WHITE, b. October 20, 1749, Buckingham County, VA; d. October 08, 1823, Bedford County, VA; m. JOANNA BRADLEY, Abt. 1773, Bedford County, VA; b. Abt. 1753, Bedford County, VA.
ii. ELIZABETH WHITE, b. August 21, 1751, Buckingham County, VA; d. Abt. 1790, Bedford County, VA; m. PETER DAVID, Abt. 1770, Bedford County, VA; b. Abt. 1745, Bedford County, VA.
iii. LUCY WHITE, b. September 30, 1753, Buckingham County, VA; d. Aft. September 23, 1815, Elbert County, GA; m. JAMES NEVILLE BROWN, Abt. 1773, Buckingham County, VA; b. Abt. 1752, St. Anne Parish, Albemarle County, VA; d. Bef. March 01, 1841, Elbert County, GA.

Notes for JAMES NEVILLE BROWN:
Elbert County, GA} 23 September 1815, James N. Brown & Lucy, his wife, to Joseph Brown, all of sd. co., for $500, said to be 260 acres on Ceder Creek in sd. co., adj. Hezekiah Gray, Meriweather Marks, & others, down creek.
Signed James N. Brown, Lucy (x) Brown.
Wit: B. Allen, John Upshaw, J.I.C.
Registered 9 Oct. 1815
[Elbert County, GA, Deed Book P, p. 137]

Will of James N. Brown.
Elbert County, Georgia} In the name of God, Amen. I, James N. Brown of the state and county aforesaid, being old & infirm in body but of sound mind & memory, do make and ordain this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all others, to wit:
Item 1st. I resign my body to the earth from whence it came and my soul into the hands of God who gave it.
Item 2nd. It is my will and desire that all my just debts be first paid.
Item 3rd. It is my will that immediately after my death that the whole of my estate be equally divided between my sons, Benjamin Brown or his legal heirs, Henry P. Brown or his legal heirs, James N. Brown or his legal heirs, John Brown or his legal heirs, James Bridges trustee for my daughter Lucy Presley and her children, Jesse M. Fortson and Edmund B. Tate trustees for my daughter Milly Presley [Mildred Brown married secondly Charles Presley] and her children, the children or the legal representatives of Joseph Brawner Sr. and Mary his wife (both deceased), and Henry Brawner (who married my daughter Celia) or their legal representatives.
Item 4th. I hereby constitute and appoint Benjamin Brown and Simeon N. Brown [son of James N. Brown, Jr., the oldest son, who was living in Madison County, Georgia] my Executors to carry into effect this my last will and testament. In testamony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 18th day of December 1840.
James N. (his X mark) Brown (seal)
Test: Shelton Oliver, Jesse M. Fortson
[Elbert County, Georgia, Wills, Book __, pp. 46-7]

Elbert County, Georgia} Court of Ordinary, March Term 1841.
Personally came into open court Shelton Oliver and Jesse M. Fortson and, being sworn, saith that they saw James N. Brown sign & seal, by making his mark, the within instrument of writing as his last will and testament, and that he was, as we believe, at the time he signed the same, of sound mind and disposing memory, and that they signed the same as witnesses to the same at the request of the testator. Sworn to in open court this 1st March 1841.
Shelton Oliver, Jesse M. Fortson.
Attest Wm. B. Nelms, C. C. O.
Elbert County, Georgia} Court of Ordinary, March Term 1841.
It is ordered by the court that the within will be recorded, the same having been proven on the oaths of Shelton Oliver and Jesse M. Fortson.
Attest Wm. B. Nelms, C. C. O.
Recorded the 1st March 1841. Wm. B. Nelms, C. C. O.
[Elbert County, Georgia, Wills, Book __, p. 47]

Inventory Est. of James N. Brown, dec. 1841.
Appraisment of the estate of James N. Brown, deceased, appraised 6th April 1841, to wit:
One bed and furniture at $20.00
One negroe boy named Ben at $800.00
One Syringe at $1.00
One note on Benjamin & Robert G. Brown for $78.67 1/2
One do " do " do " $140.00
One do " Simeon N. & James N. Brown for hire of boy Ben $90.00
One do on James & Shelton Oliver for $1400.00
One do " Jesse M. Fortson $269.81
One do " Jett Thomas & James Oliver $193.45
One do " James Almond & Richard Fortson $24.12 1/2
One do " John W. Brawner, Jesse M. Brawner, & Jephta F. Brawner $35.63 1/4
One do " Shelton Oliver & Alfred Oliver $23.68 3/4
One do " Henry P. Brawner & Elijah Jones $71.00
One do " Richard Fortson & Stephen Ham $27.81 1/4
One do " Edmond B. Tate & James Almond $96.64 1/2
One do " Thomas Heam & Shelton Oliver $25.00
One do " Gabriel Booth & Wm J. Moore $15.25
One do " B. G. Fortson & Moses C. Mills $25.25
One do " Henry P. Brawner & James Brawner $25.00
One do " John W. & H. H. Stephens $17.81 1/4
One do " Claiborne Webb & John G. Deadwyler $15.50
One do " (balance) Thomas H. & Jesse Brown $20.84 1/2
One do " Francis S. Roberts & Wm W. Downer $14.22 1/4
One do " Wm. J. Moore & Gabriel Booth $13.15
One do " Wm. M. & James Almond & D. Thornton $11.41 1/4
One do " John King & Jesse Brown $10.87 1/2
One do " Henry Brawner & H. P. Brawner $55.00
One do " Mildred Presley $10.31 1/4
One do " Wm. Matthews & Samuel Ham $8.20
One do " George J. Barr & Thos. F. Willis $8.00
One do " (balance) Henry & Henry P. Brawner $1.75
One do " Robert N. & Robert Booth $10.93 1/4
One do " Richard Goulding & H. T. Mattor $6.25
One do " Wm. W. Downer & Jephtha F. Brawner $6.79
One do " Wm. Oglesby & Shelton Oliver $6.37 1/2
Total $3579.77
Elbert County, Georgia} We do certify upon oath that, as far as was produced to us by the Executor Benjamin Brown, the above and foregoing contains a true appraisement of the estate of James N. Brown, deceased, to the best of our judgment and understanding, April 6th, 1841.
Shelton Oliver, Stephen Ham, Alfred Oliver, Jesse M. Fortson
I do hereby certify that the above appraisers were sworn to perform the duty of appraisers according to law this 6th day of April 1841.
Samuel Ham, J. P.
Recorded the 15th of April 1841, Wm. B. Nelms, C. C. O.
[Elbert County, Georgia, Probate Records, Book __, p. 206]

iv. MILDRED WHITE, b. January 23, 1755, Buckingham County, VA; d. February 26, 1798, Elbert County, GA; m. ISAAC DAVID, Abt. 1775, Bedford County, VA; b. Abt. 1750, Bedford County, VA.
v. HENRY PAGE WHITE, b. September 21, 1756, Buckingham County, VA; d. Aft. May 14, 1842, Elbert County, GA; m. MARTHA NEVILLE BROWN, Abt. 1777, St. Anne Parish, Albemarle County, VA; b. Abt. 1758, St. Anne Parish, Albemarle County, VA.
vi. JESSE WHITE, b. July 18, 1758, Buckingham County, VA; d. March 1839, Autauga County, AL; m. ELIZABETH BROWN, Abt. 1780, St. Anne Parish, Albemarle County, VA; b. Abt. 1760, St. Anne Parish, Albemarle County, VA.
vii. ARCHELAUS WHITE, b. May 29, 1760, Buckingham County, VA; d. Abt. 1784, Elbert County, GA.

Notes for ARCHELAUS WHITE:
Archelaus White received a grant for 122 acres on the south branches of the north fork of Blackwater River, adjoining his own land, in Henry County on June 25, 1783.
[Virginia Grants, Book H, p. 372]

viii. OBEDIAH WHITE, b. April 07, 1763, Buckingham County, VA; d. Abt. 1827, Bedford County, VA; m. RHODA ARTHUR, April 24, 1785, Bedford County, VA; b. Abt. 1765, Bedford County, VA.

Notes for OBEDIAH WHITE:
Obediah White received a grant for 390 acres on the west fork of the Litte River and Burks Fork in Montgomery County on June 30, 1795.
[Virginia Grants, Book 33, p. 63]

ix. JACOB WHITE, b. October 20, 1765, Buckingham County, VA; d. June 02, 1832, Bedford County, VA; m. HANNAH SPIRES, Abt. 1790, Bedford County, VA; b. Abt. 1770, Bedford County, VA; d. Bef. December 10, 1816, Bedford County, VA.
x. WILLIAM WHITE, b. November 24, 1767, Buckingham County, VA; d. Abt. 1840, Bedford County, VA; m. MARY PRICE, Abt. 1799, Bedford County, VA; b. Abt. 1779, Bedford County, VA.
xi. CELIA WHITE, b. January 20, 1772, Buckingham County, VA; d. Abt. 1802, Christian County, KY; m. ROBERT BLAKEY, March 29, 1792, Bedford County, VA; b. Abt. 1768, Bedford County, VA.
xii. ISAIAH WHITE, b. July 06, 1775, Buckingham County, VA.

Re: Celia Page of Buckingham County, VA

Posted: 1302627270000
Hi, researching family history, and found this post. My name is James Neville Brown. James Neville Brown was my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather. Interesting information. Any other info you could share? Photos, documents, etc.? I currently live in Covington, Ga. Thanks. The more I look, the more I find and learn.

James

Posted: 1303249337000
Hi James,

I just saw your post and am most interested in learning more about your James Neville Brown and Lucy White.

Our line is Jesse Brown who married Lucy Staples -- and Jesse ended up with the land that was owned by James N. Brown back in Elbert Co. in the 1840s.

We have been trying to find Jesse's family for years and would love to work with you on the line to try to sort it out.

I couldn't believe it when you said you lived in Covington Ga. I looked for you in the phone book but wasn't sure if you were in it. We're in Covington too.

Broward223@att.net

Ardie Brown

Posted: 1303775819000
Ardie, I have sent you an e-mail.

James

Posted: 1331462959000
Surnames: carithers
im celia pag 1738-1838 is my 7th grand mom @ martha neville brown 1745 -1841 is my 6th mom @ mary 1780 is my 5th grand mom @ martha naville white 1808-1889 is my 4th grand mom @luicinda v bennett 1834 ?is my 3ed grand mom @ mary frances is my 2ent grand mom @ mary elizabeth medow carithers is my 1st grand mom and my dad is william allen carithers 1912-11981

Posted: 1331462961000
Surnames: carithers
im celia pag 1738-1838 is my 7th grand mom @ martha neville brown 1745 -1841 is my 6th mom @ mary 1780 is my 5th grand mom @ martha naville white 1808-1889 is my 4th grand mom @luicinda v bennett 1834 ?is my 3ed grand mom @ mary frances is my 2ent grand mom @ mary elizabeth medow carithers is my 1st grand mom and my dad is william allen carithers 1912-11981

Posted: 1362113821000
It would be great if you would take the 37 marker Y chromosome DNA test via the Brown Genealogy Society DNA testing project. That might really help to determine your lineage. With a common surname like "Brown," the only way that we will ever sort-out many of the different/unrelated Brown families is if more Brown men get tested.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic