Family of Benjamin Potter
Benjamin Potter b 1733 (1)
D Before 1820 in Lincoln County, KY (2)
1. Isaac Potter b abt 1757 Pittsylvania County, VA
Md Sally Oakes 13 Oct 1796 Pittsylvania Co, VA (4)
2. Lewis Potter b 1758 (1) Pittsylvania County, VA. He was 19 when he signed the Oath of Allegiance in 1777.
Md Nancy Hickerson 15 Aug 1786 Franklin Co VA (5)
3. Jeriah Potter b 1760 Pittsylvania County, Virginia (9)
md Philip Kearby 28 Jul 1785 Pittsylvania County, VA (6)
4. Moses Potter b abt 1763 Pittsylvania County, VA
md Frances Kirby 14 Jan 1789 Franklin County, VA (5)
5. Stephen Potter b 29 Mar 1764 Surry County, North Carolina (7)
md Martha Philips (Phipps (3)) 1787
6. Benjamin Potter b 1765 Pittsylvania County, Virginia. He was 16
when Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown in 1781. (3)
md Elizabeth Bolton 15 Jun 1785 Pittsylvania County, VA (4)
7. Elias Potter b abt 1769 Franklin County, VA
md Sarah Roach 26 Nov 1794 Franklin County, VA (5)
8. Thomas Potter b 1771 Franklin County, Virginia
md Susannah Shockley 5 Jan 1801 Franklin County, VA (5)
9. Amariah Potter b 18 Nov 1772 Franklin County, VA (2)
md William Rigney 19 Sep 1791 Franklin County, VA (5)
d Mar 1844 Paoli, Orange, Indiana
10. Mary Potter b 23 Oct 1776 Franklin County, VA (8)
md Elijah Thompson abt 1794 Surry County, NC
d 30 Jul 1838 Surry County, North Carolina (8)
bur Thompson Family Cemetery near Devotion, NC (8)
Mary was called Polly, a usual nickname for Mary.
(1) Oath of Allegiance reproduced on p 2 in A Family History: Potter, Kirby, Tarrant, Johnson. Comp by Maud Potter. San Diego, 1961. Four Potters â€œtook the Oath of Allegiance to the Virginia Colony in Henry County, Virginia on September 13, 1777,â€ They were Thomas ae 31, Joseph ae 30, Benjamin ae 44 and Lewis ae 19.
(2) William Rigney and Amariah Potter and some of their descedants (sic): a Family History. Reta Rigney Ruppert and Frank D Ruppert. La Jolla, CA. privately printed 1982. FHL 929.273 R449. Page 38 gives an abstract: A deed from the Kentucky Historical Society Library in Frankfort Kentucky (Deed Book L, Page 115). Sale of land in Lincoln Co. KY probably for the year 1823: â€œFrom the wording of the deed, it appears that seven Potters came west; that Benjamin Sr purchased about 50 acres from William Lawrence, 26 May 1818; that Benj. Sr. died in testate (probably before 1820) leaving this tract of land in Lincoln Co. This deed of sale apparently was to settle the estate. Thomas Potter purchased from the other heirs, Stephen Potter, Elijah Thompson and his wife Polly Potter, and Elias Potter this tract of land; also mentioned as heirs are Lewis Potter, Thomas Potter, Moses and Mary Rigney late Mary Potter.â€
It is difficult to tell if the later is Moses Potter and Mary Rigney or Moses Rigney and Mary Rigney. The original will should clarify this.
(3) Potter, Elder Gideon, â€œBiography of Elder Gideon Potter Born in Surry County,
N. C. July 4, 1798â€ in The Journal of Surry County. FHL 975.665 B2j. or
Potter, Gideon. â€œAutobiography.â€ Primitive Baptist Online. www.primitivebaptist.org/writers/potter_g/autobiography.asp
. Gideon calls her Judah.
(4) Ricks, Joel. Pittsylvania County Virginia Marriage Bonds 1767-1864. Photocopy of original typescript. FHL 975.5665 V2r.
(5) Wingfield, Marshall. Index to Marshall Wingfieldâ€™s Marriage Bonds of Franklin County, Virginia 1786-1858. Berryville, VA. Virginia Book Co., 1967 (Cleveland: Micro Photo Division, Bell & Howell Co.), FHL 975.568 V2w index.
(6) Knorr, Catherine Lindsay, comp. Marriage Bonds and Ministersâ€™ Returns of Pittsylvania County, Virginia, 1767-1805. Reprint of original published: (Pine Bluff, Ark.): Catherine Lindsay Knorr, 1956. FHL 975.5665 V2.
(7) Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. FamilySearch. Ancestral File and IGI. www.familysearch.com
(8) Jackson, Hester Bartlett, ed. The Heritage of Surry County, North Carolina. Dobson, NC. Published by the Surry County Genealogical Association in cooperation with Hunter Publishing Company, c 1983, c 1994. FHL 975.665 D2h.
(9) Phillips, Donna Potter, comp. Potter Profiles. A quarterly newsletter, Spokane, WA: Family Quest, 1984-, Vol 8 p 55. FHL Fiche 6047912. Branch 73.
LaRae Free Kerrkerrworks@infowest.com