Search for content in message boards

STRANDGAARD

STRANDGAARD

Posted: 1191029489000
Classification: Query
Surnames: STRANDGAARD
Could anyone in St. Thomas please help with marriage of Carl Strandgaard, Denmark, and Teresa Font? Particularly would like parents names of Carl if possible. Thanks from Australia.

Re: STRANDGAARD

Posted: 1191176870000
any dates?
Ann

Posted: 1191205524000
Not sure but late 1800s. St. Thomas fascinates me. Where is it? I am in Australia

Posted: 1191213820000
Unfortunately the documents I have available end in 1825, but I do have Strandgaards, but no Carlos. Let me know if there is another name, maybe his father.

:) St. Thomas is a little tiny rock in the Caribbean sea, very much like your Fiji Islands. It is 13 miles long, 4 miles wide, and 33 sq miles. It is south east of Miami, Florida and New York, and just east of Puerto Rico. It is the capital of the US Virgin Islands, which consist of two other islands, St. Croix and ST. JOHNS.
The islands were named by Columbus for St. Ursula and her 11,000 Virgins, because there are so many cays around the them.
Claimed by the Danish in the early 1600, during the European colonization period and sold to the US in 1917.
Of the three islands St. Thomas have always been a cosmopolitan place as it was a free port from the beginning, the smallest Island, St. John is very quiet, as a large part of it is a National Park. St. Croix is the largest island, and is a combination of the other two,since it has two cites, Christianstead which is bustling, and Fredreiksted which is more suburban.
Ann

Posted: 1191280097000
Thank you for your trouble you have taken, also the info. re St. Thomas. I would be grateful for any Strandgaards (Strandgard here). If you wouldn't mind giving me what you have I can go from there as Carlos was not, in my opinion, his real name. The one I believe him to be was just so deceitful that a novel could be written about him.

So, if you could give me what you have it would be great.

Barb.

Posted: 1191299063000
Estracted from:
A List of Names of Inhabitants, Danish West Indews 1650-c. 1825.
Strandgaard-
Andreas Sigfr. Lutenant, marr Jane Cooper Smith 7/8/1818.
Children:
Chas Henry August, bapt. 3/10/1822
Georgia Louise Elisabeth, born 3/15/1823, bapt. 8/10/1823.
Andreas Sigfr. born 4/14/1824, bapt. 5/2/1824
James Sigfr. 8/3/1827
Sidney Smith 3/9/1829
Jane Cooper born 4/1/1833
Louis Jeremiah born 10/14/1834
St. Thomas Census-1850; age 56, Captain
St. Thomas Census-1855;A. S. age 61, born Copenhagen, Captain.
Census 1857 St. Thomas, age 64, Major retired.

census 1870 St. Thomas;
Cornelia, born St. Croix, age 59, bookkeeper,
his sons:
C.H.S. born St. Croix, age 23
L.A.S. born St. Sroix, age 19

Jane Cooper, born St. croix, age 57, widow
Children:
Louis Jerimiah age 23
Jane Cooper age 24
Maria Antoinette Moe age 38, born Copenhagen(This could have been Janes younger sister)
Also found the name spelled as Stramgaard. It seems to be a miss spell as "m" is nest to "n' on the typewriter.

St. Croix 1960 Census.
Chas. H. A. born St. Croix age 49, Clerk
Sophia Conception, born Bolovar, Venezuela.
Children:
?ique age 3
Rosa Sofia age 2, born St. Thomas
St. Thomas
I checked for all possible spellings of the name.
Maybe our carlos was C.H.S. Strandgaard.
Ann

Posted: 1191372778000
Thank you for the trouble you have taken. I shall now go and think on all the names given. Actually, I believe he married a Teresa Font. Not to worry though.

Barb.

Posted: 1214847097000
Surnames: Strandgaard, Simmons, Dinzey
Hi,

There are several recordings for Strandgaard people of
Virgin Islands (St Thomas) in US Federal Census, Immigration records and Passportport application like:

Census 1910; Carlos Strandgaard (born West Indies c 1856), wife Theresa & children.
Census 1920; Charles E Strandgaard (born St Thomas c 1856), wife Theresa V. & children.
Census 1920; Amy Stensgaard (a widow, born Virgin Islands c 1870)
U.S Passport Application 1921; Aimee Strandgaard (a widow, born St Croix, Virgin Island 1866)with photo. Late husband Luis Strandgaard. A dau Mrs Wayne B. Watson. Brother-in-law C.E. Strandgaard.
N.Y. Pass Lists 1903; Luis Strandgaard (born c 1890) and Roy Strandgaard (born c 1892) arrived from St Thomas
WW I Draft Reg. Cards; Louis Henry Strandgaard (born Virgin Island 1889).

See further Internet source: www.ancestry.com

Regards,
Gosta Simmons

Researching Simmons, Dinzey & intermarried families

Posted: 1264918915000
Surnames: Hawes, Strandgaard, Lucas, Noggle, Lightner
Charles, son of Major Andreas Sigfried von Strandgaard, took the name "Carlos" when settling in Venezuela. My family is in the Strandgaard line from my grandmother. We have photos of "the Major," Carlos and family, his brother Sidney and his descendants (our line.)A possible, but damaged photo exists that may show Jane Cooper Smith. It is a daguerreotype plate and very scratched (deliberately?/accidentally?)on the face. My sister has some records of our Strandgaard information.

RH

Posted: 1264919741000
Our family information is that Jane Cooper Smith was English, daughter of an English officer serving in the Virgin Islands.

Our family has a uniform coat attributed to Major Andreas S. von Strandgaard. (Great great great grandfather)

Any Strandgaard - Smith information not already posted would be greatly appreciated.

RH
per page

Find a board about a specific topic