Search for content in message boards

Hugenot Bastian Mortensen was banished to Norway about 1690 from France

Hugenot Bastian Mortensen was banished to Norway about 1690 from France

Posted: 1366719413000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mortensen
Bastian and his brothers Jakob and Gabriel, had to leave France just before 1690 and arrived in mid-Norway to Støren or Horg community. They started their new life as farmers at the farm Lium, but worked also as coal-burners for the minery at Løkken, as they probably had done in France as well.

But from where in France did they come, and who were their parents?

Re: Hugenot Bastian Mortensen was banished to Norway about 1690 from France

Posted: 1367171237000
Your investigation is going to be problematic for several reasons. In something over ten years, I have not seen any other investigation into Norwegian Huguenots. There’s no reason to discount the possibility. It’s just that they would have been such a small percentage, so you’re probably on your own already, because everybody else knows much less than you do.

As a ‘Scandinavian’ type of surname MORTENSEN is an immediate patronymic, not an inherited, multigenerational family surname. Bastian MORTENSEN is the son of Morten SOMBODYSEN, and the question is who Somebody was. The only way for this to be established is to find a documentary source of some sort.

Searching Mortensen as a surname in Norway (familysearch.com) shows it was used with some frequency prior to the time of the major Huguenot dispersal subsequent to the 1685 Edict of Nantes. If you look for Mortensen in France, there is nothing.

There is no progress without documentation. Thus the investigation becomes a search for relevant documentary sources. What sources have you found? Get everything you can from them. Do other potentially relevant sources exist? How can you access them? When you know the extent of the documents available and have not found sufficient clues to the identity of the previous generation, there is little to be done. And these difficulties are always greatly enhanced with a change of location. At some point the trail of available documentation always ends.

Posted: 1390740715000
I'm also researching Bastian MORTENSEN.

I have a family tree that shows that he also used the surname KNEKT. Between the MORTENSEN surname and the KNEKT surname, I've wondered if we're looking for someone in the south of France in the late 1600's named either Martin KNECHT or Martin CHEVALIER.

I also wonder if Bastian shouldn't actually be Sebastien and if Jakob shouldn't be Jacques.

Have you had any luck in the last nine months?

Posted: 1424983394000
"KNEKT" is not a surname, it's a kind of title describing what he was doing. He was working with mining as an assistant.
The only thing we could be sure of is that he was written into ther church-book of Støren in Mid-Norway in the year 1690. This book tells us that he arrived from France as an banished hugenot. We knows a lot of this descendants.
I have really tried to find more info about his parents in France, but has not succeded.

Somebody has introduced the idea of that the text in the church-book could tell us that his surname was Franck, in stead of the countryname France! This could also be a possibility because a lot of mining-people, with the surname Franck also arrived from Germany. Now I therefore will try to follow this idea.

Comments are welcome!

Posted: 1469985113000
Do you have a reference to where in the church records of Støren this is mentioned? I have looked through the listings for 1690 a couple of times now, but I see no mention of this...

As a general note on surnames: They were not much in use in Norway at this time. Mortensen (what is the reference for this?) is as pointed out above a patronymic, giving the name of the father. If this was a french refugee he could be Sebastian, son of Martin.

As it is mentioned that he was a charcoal burner working at the copper mine melting hut, the only other reference I have seen is from an old census of workers dated some time between 1677 and 1684 mentioning among the coal burners one "Bastian Gilles".
per page

Find a board about a specific topic