Search for content in message boards

west coast Blakenships from VA, WV, & KY abt 1900

west coast Blakenships from VA, WV, & KY abt 1900

Posted: 1081837260000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1096780354000

Hi, my name is Dan Brown. I have been doing some ancestral Brown research, and i have a 66 pg original manuscript written by my father's cousin, Coy Delbert Brown. Coy's biography is a story of how his father and family moved from near Camplesville, Kentucky to the state of Washington in the year 1910. Upon the Browns arrival in WASH. they rented farm property from Blakenship. This was in Lewis County on the Cowlitz River near Mt Raineer. Anyway, there is a website http://www.usgenwebarchives.org, The History of Lewis County, Washington, Pt 1 of 10: PAGES 63 - 94. I have also seen cemetery listings and early 1900's census data for Blakenships in Lewis County Washington. I have included a small portion of that biography below:

"JOHN A. BLANKENSHIP FAMILY

John Aderson Blankenship was born December 11, 1881, in Boggs, West Virginia. Around 1901 he came with his father, mother and 9 brothers and sisters to Lewis County, Washington.

(photo): John and Helen Blankenship

In 1907 John returned to West Virginia and married a young school
teacher by the name of Helen L. Wilson. They returned to Lewis county, which he referred to as "The Garden Spot of the World." They homesteaded for a few years in the Nesika area and then moved to Salkum, then Cinebar and finally to Centralia.

His six children were: Alden H. Blankenship who became Superintendent of Schools in Tacoma, in Springfield, Mass., Oakridge, Tenn., Gary Indiana and finally Cleveland, Ohio; Alfred A. Blankenship who became a minister in the First Church of God; Dee Blankenship Miller, a secretary and a real estate salesperson, and Opal Blankenship Conner, who was also a secretary and a real estate salesperson; Allen N. Blankenship, an electrical engineer in Seattle; and Albert S. Blankenship who was a Weyerhaueser employee for 30 years."

I, Dan Brown, would be very interested to chat with someone related to any of the above Blankenship and who has data to share about those Blakenship who made the move west.

My Brown grandparents and great grandparents came from Ashe Co, NC and also from Grayson Co, VA as well as some from Kentucky.

I believe the Blakenships that moved west to WASH knew my ancestors in NC, VA, KY and convinced my Browns to move to Lewis Co, WA also, which they did.

please forward this mail

Sincerely, Dan Brown McMinnville, Oregon

Re: west coast Blakenships from VA, WV, & KY abt 1900

Posted: 1195755219000
Surnames: Wilson,West, Blankenship
I am Lela Morton,my grandmother Lela Wilson was raised by Alf and Amie Wilson, Helen's parents. I do not have much information for West Virginia but would like more information about Helen and John and Alf and Amie Wilson.
My grandfather Orange West homesteaded in Lewis County; had a tie mill at Nesika. Orange met Lela Wilson when she came to Washington with Alf and Amie Wilson, they may have lived with or near John and Helen. Lela

Posted: 1195758823000
Hello Lela, I'm pleased to meet you

Where do you live ?

Can you please contact me directly at--
dadbrown_99@yahoo.com

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving day, today

Sincerely

Dan Brown in Oregon

Posted: 1568921525000
Hi Dan,

Alderson was my great uncle. He was also sheriff of Lewis County for a few years. We never called him John only Alderson, but my father John was named John after his uncle.

I would suggest you contact Lonnie the fire marshal in Packwood, WA. He will be able to give you info about the first families in the Packwood area.

Sincerely,
Robin Blankenship Chehalis, WA
per page

Find a board about a specific topic