Search for content in message boards

Hilliard's Legion/ 59Th Alabama Infantry

Hilliard's Legion/ 59Th Alabama Infantry

Posted: 995436750000
Edited: 1138849556000
I am looking for any information on gg grandfather war record and history. Would like information on Hilliard's Legion 3Rd Battalion CO C formed from men from Coosa Co. in 1862. My ggg was Miles Green Blankenship.

Re: Hilliard's Legion/ 59Th Alabama Infantry

Posted: 998026697000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1020682124000
Surnames: Smith, Callaway, Teel, Lindsey, Pody, Vansandt, Rayfield
Hi J.,
I am not sure if this info is of any help to you. In Brewer's History of Coosa County--- mention of the BLANKENSHIP Family was listed as one of the oldest original names in Coosa County. My Aunt Mrytis Smith Bryant was married to a Howell Lee Blankenship. He had a brother named "Rich" or Richmond Pearson Hobson Blankenship. Lee and Rich were sons of Mark Grant Blankenship. My Uncle Lee's first wife was Ollie E. Blocker and both are buried at the Methodist Church Cemetery next to Weogufka High School. You might be able to find out more info on your Miles Green Blankenship from a
Donald Stockdale -- e-mail "donaldstockdale@mindspring.com" his family of Blankenships are thru Cora Lee, daughter of James Russell,
son of
John Allen, son of James Thomas, son of John Buck, son of Reuben, Etc.
Another source of info thru my Lee Blankenship family is
Freddie (Fred) L. Blankenship of Alexander City. His e-mail address is "fred@webshoppe.net". Maybe they can help you get on the right track at least with your searches.
Sincerely,
Mickey L. Smith M.T. (ASCP)
Huntsville, AL

Posted: 999986880000
Edited: 1102008746000
Surnames: Blankenship/White/Logan/Smith/Beasley
Hi,
I'm descended from the Blankenships too - my ggg-grandmother was Elizabeth Anne (Annie) Blankenship, the daughter, I think, of John Blankenship & Millie Thompson (if I recall, she is either the sister or cousin of Miles Green...I don't have my Blankenship file in front of me & offhand my memory is hazy as to who was who...)

In response to your message about Hilliard's Legion: they were organized at Montgomery in June 1862 & had about 3,000 men. Originally, it was comprised of 5 battalions, but one mounted battalion became part of the 10th Confederate Cavalry REgiment. Its artillery arm was detached & redesignated the Barbour Light Artillery. The Legion was assigned to General Gracie's Brigade & served at Cumberland Gap, then at Chickamauga (TN) where it lost 45% of the 902 engaged. In November, Hilliard's Legion was dissolved. Parts of the 1st & 3rd Batt'n formed the 60th AL Reg't & the 2nd & 4th Battn's became the 59th AL. Colonels were Henry W. Hilliard & Jack Thorington. The 3rd Battn' was led by Lt. Col. John W.A. Sanford & Major Hatch Cook. -- The 59th AL was organized at Charleston, TN in November 1863. The Reg't was assigned to Gen'l Gracies Brigade. They served in the Knoxville campaign & lost heavily at Drewry's Bluff & in June, 1864 only had a force of abt 240 men. The unit served at Petersburg & various conflicts around Appamattox. Many were disabled at Sayler's Creek. Later attached to Moody's brigade, the unit surrendered with 9 officers and 101 men. Field officers were Col. Bolling Hall, Jr., Lt. Col. George Huguley, John D. McKennan & Major Lewis Crumpler. The 60th Alamba's service record is almost identical to that of the 59th. (this is from Units of the Confederate States Army, by J.H. Crute, Jr.) -- I recently visited Chickamauga, and Hilliard's Legion, as I was told, was hit heavily, losing about 37% of it's force in just the one assault - it is the only Brigade that made it through Union lines before being forced to retreat (no support). It is difficult to find mention of Hilliard's Legion - but Gracie's Brigade is usually the one noted in publications. Two other ancestors of mine served with Hilliard's Legion: James A. Logan & William C. Kelley. Logan was injured at Drewry's Bluff & Kelley disappeared after Chickamauga - it is believed he was killed in that battle.

My ggg-grandmother, Elizabeth Anne (Annie") Blankenship married R. Major White. Their daughter, Angeline White married James A. Logan, and their daughter, Mary Ella Logan married William H. Smith. (Mary Ella & William Smith are my great grandparents.)

Hope this helps...If I can find anything on Company C will let you know.

Cathy Fields
Fairfax, VA

John blankenship (View posts)
Posted: 1000083012000
Thank you for the information.

Posted: 1055259160000
Edited: 1058222658000
I am a descendent of Elizabeth Ann Blankenship White and Armajor White, too. I descend through their son, Wm. Henry White, my great-grandfather. I would be interested in exchanging information with you on the Whites. Sandy Kline

Posted: 1312690138000
Hi Sandy - are you still researching the White family of Coosa county? I would love to hear from you.

thank you,
Cathy

Posted: 1312722197000
Surnames: BLANKENSHIP/WHITES/THOMPSONS/FIELDS
Error Correction!
Milly b 1800, Elizabeth Ann b 1817, Morning C b 1820 and Jane b 1823 Were not Blankenships but daughters of Capt John Thompson a Cherokee Officer and Martha Fields.
Error is a result of John Bucks estate distribution and the 1850 Coosa Hatchett Creek census translation by Wand Crafts.
Their ages and number of children born to Milly support this.

Posted: 1312813241000
Surnames: Whites, Blankenships, etc
Error Correction!
Milly b 1800, Elizabeth Ann b 1817, Morning C b 1820 and Jane b 1823 Were not Blankenships but daughters of Capt John Thompson a Cherokee Officer and Martha Fields.
Error is a result of John Bucks estate distribution and the 1850 Coosa Hatchett Creek census translation by Wand Crafts.
Their ages and number of children born to Milly support this.

Posted: 1312852752000
Hi,

Yes, Milly was born in 1800 - but there is absolutely no proof that Anna Elizabeth, Mourning, and Jane Blankenship were Milly's sisters. Nor is there any documentation to substantiate that Milly was a Thompson, let alone the daughter of a Captain John Thompson. I do believe Anna Elizabeth, Mourning, and Jane Blankenship were John Blankenship's daughters. They are mentioned in at least two Coosa County court records as the daughters of John Blankenship. In addition, all four females (Milly, Anna Elizabeth, Mourning, and Jane) appear, age-correct, in the 1830 census of Shelby county AL where John was listed as head of household. In 1860, Milly lived with her daughter Margaret, and next door to Anna Elizabeth Blankenship White. There was definitely a connection between the two women as Anna Elizabeth, following her marriage to Armajor White, named her eldest daughter Milly.

Milly is documented in court records as having relinqueshed her dowry following John Blankenship's death in 1857 - I find it odd that a Cherokee woman would have had a dowry. In addition, the Blankenship, White, and Thompson families had early land grants in Alabama - all three of these families stem from Virginia Revolutionary War pensioners. What their connection is to the John Thompson of Cherokee fame, I do not know. There was a John Blankenship listed in the 1820 census living at Rutherford, NC, in the same proximity to Richard White and John Thompson - were these Cherokees or mixed blood? There was also another John Blankenship, living at Clarke county, GA in 1820. Since Milly was born in GA in 1800, as was Anna Elizabeth in 1817, I think it is this John Blankenship who moved by 1830 to Shelby county, AL.

There actually may have been two John Thompsons - one a minister, a missionary in the Cherokee region and the other John Thompson a Cherokee interpreter who served with Ridge & Ross. Both John Thompsons are reputed to have helped relocate Cherokees during the evacuation. To date I have found no source documentary evidence that one, or both of these John Thompsons permanently relocated to Coosa county, Alabama. Rather, if you look at the Cherokee rolls in AK, OK and TX you will find John Thompson, Martha Fields and a Milly Thompson there with a long list of Cherokee descendants.

If you have any documents, old letters, or information to help me sort out the confusion about the Blankenship, White, and Thompson families I will be most appreciative.

Respectfully,

Cathy

Posted: 1312938060000
Cathy,My gr grandfather was John H Blankenship who was the first son born to Reuben Blankenship and his wife Sarah D. Griffin. Reuben's father was John Buck Blankenship and his mother was Martha ( Millie) Thompson Blankenship. She is the one in our line who according to my family was a Cherokee. You can see the Indian characteristics in both Reuben and John Henry's son, Wm. Arthur Blankenship. He is my grandfather and the first son of John Henry and his wife, Mary Eliz Blankenship Blankenship. The youngest son of John Henry was Bennie Samuel, youngest child. Bennie never left the home of his parents. He married and brought his wife home. His father died and he and his wife took care of Mary E. until she died at 99 yrs. of age. If the story of John Buck and Millie bringing the Whites, Blankenship family of John and Millie, and several other families who have married into our line, werenot true why would Reuben Buck, John Henry and my grandfather's brother, Bennie have continued to pass this story down to the family. Reuben was the son of John Buck, John Henry the son of Reuben, my grandfathe and Bennie the sons of John Henry and all passed this story down. So for me, I will just have to rely on those stories. My Uncle Bennie and my dad were very close and even just a few years prior to Uncle Bennie's death in his 80s, I was sitting on the front porch of his house in Segno,TX listening to his tales about the family. He told me all kinds of stories about both of the Blankenship family as his mom and dad were cousins prior to being married. Prior to Reyben Buck's death in 1907, John Henry and family as well as several other children of Reuben's and their families all lived side by side in Polk County, TX. Thanks, Janet Blankenship Gaston
per page

Find a board about a specific topic