Search for content in message boards

Sullivan/ Sheehan Kenmare- moved to Brooklyn NY and MA.

Sullivan/ Sheehan Kenmare- moved to Brooklyn NY and MA.

Posted: 1273090531000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1487782139000
Surnames: Sullivan, Sheehan
Updated from my original post with information from many on these boards!!

New request- to locate the death certificate of Timothy Sullivan DOB approx. 1845 and I believe he was from Kenmare.

Timothy Sullivan from Kenmare married Bridget Sheehan of Kenmare on August 27, 1983 in the Registers District of Tourist ( attached)

Bridget's date of birth is approx. 1861. They had at least 6 children between the years of 1891 and 1901. The names of the children are Thomas, Eugene ( twin that I believe died), Margret, Patrick, Bridget, Michael, Peter.

We know Thomas, Michael, Besie and Peter came to Brooklyn NY at different times but around 1920's. I know Bridget came over to Brooklyn with her youngest son in 1921.

Timothy Sullivan is missing from the 1911 Census ( but the rest of his family is listed) I can't seem locate TImothy's death certificate. I know his fathers name is Jeremiah. I assume he died between the completion of the 1901 census and the 1911 census. In 1901 they were living on Pound lane and in 1911 they were on Market Street.

Any information or guidence would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments:

Re: Sullivan/ Sheehan Kenmare- moved to Brooklyn NY and MA.

Posted: 1273095766000

Diocese of KERRY , Parish of KENMARE R.C.
Baptism of PAUL PETER O'SULLIVAN of KENMARE on 29 June 1900
Name PAUL PETER O'SULLIVAN
Date of Birth 27 June 1900
Address KENMARE
Father TIMOTHY O'SULLIVAN
Mother BRIGID SHEEHAN
Sponsor 1 CORNELIUS O'SHEA
Sponsor 2 MARGARET O'SULLIVAN
Priest REV.P.GRAVEY

Baptism of THOMAS SULLIVAN of WORKHOUSE on 4 October 1891
Name THOMAS SULLIVAN
Date of Birth 3 October 1891
Address WORKHOUSE
Father TIMOTHY SULLIVAN
Mother BRIGID SHEEHAN
Sponsor 1 MICHAEL TWOMEY
Sponsor 2 HANORA GRADY
Priest NR

Baptism of MICHAEL O'SULLIVAN of KENMARE on 30 November 1897
Name MICHAEL O'SULLIVAN
Date of Birth 28 November 1897
Address KENMARE
Father TIMOTHY O'SULLIVAN
Mother BRIGID SHEEHAN
Sponsor 1 TIMOTHY RING
Sponsor 2 MARGARET SULLIVAN
Priest REV.P.

Posted: 1273109287000
WOw thank you so much. How did you find this information?
That is great!

Sheehan fo Kenmare

Posted: 1376802032000
My grandmother was born 12th May 1904 at Filemore near Kenmare. Her name was Mary Sheehan. She was born in tragic circumstances , when her father died in a railway accident , which bought on her mother's early labour , (upon hearing the news). Her mother died giving birth to her. I seen how you helped another on this site and it may be possible that you are in a position to do the same for me. Mary Sheehan was reared by her grandparents John and Ellen Sheehan. Mary's mother was said to be a Sullivan. I thank you regardless , Steve , Western Australia , moombaprince@yahoo.com.au

Re: Sheehan fo Kenmare

Posted: 1487597059000
Hi
Sorry I fell off my research a couple of years ago! I have updated my tree. I believe I have found some more information. My Mary Sheehan was born earlier then yours. I believe mine was born around 1815 and was married to a Timothy Sheehan.

I believe Mary had one brother but I am not sure of his name yet. Mary's daughter would have been Bridget Sheehan my great grandmother born around 1861. Feel free to take a look at my tree and see if anything clicks.

Posted: 1487713012000
Have you found Timothy and Bridget's marriage record yet. If not, I can take a look for them.
Jean

Posted: 1487723975000
Surnames: Sullivan/ Sheehan
Thank you Jean for the offer!

I did find the marriage certificate. I am trying to search it for additional clues now.
They were married August 27th 1893 in a roman catholic church called ( Daures sp) in the Registers district of Tourist. I have not been able to find record of this church.
The certificate lists both the brides and grooms father as deceased farmers. It also confirmed my suspicion that Timothy was a widow and married Bridget a "spinster" when he was about 44.

What's interesting to me is they appear to be married after the birth of a couple of their children. I thought back then you rushed to the alter if you got pregnant, but given their first birth were twin boys, who were born in a workhouse, maybe they just didn't have the means to marry?

Sorry more information then you probably wanted! But I hope maybe someone may recognize the church or the Timothy Sullivan/Bridget Sheehan relationship.
I know Bridget came over to Brooklyn and was buried there but I would like to find more about Timothy.
Attachments:

Posted: 1487731804000
Attached you will find a google earth image of the Dauros Chapel, Tousist, Kerry, Ireland. The town is spelled Dawros. Jean
Attachments:

Posted: 1487783327000
Thank you Jean! Rookie move as I could not find it on google.... I just realized I had to use the google for Ireland and it came right up! Next up Timothy Sullivan's death certificate. I am preparing for a trip with my 75 year old father to take him in May to Kenmare and finding items like this are priceless!

Posted: 1487796748000
Check out the Old Kenmare Cemetery near the Sheen Falls Country Club. It has tons of Sullivan's/O Sulliavan's, Sheehan. Also a Jeremiah Sullivan and Timothy Sullivan.
Jean
per page

Find a board about a specific topic