Search for content in message boards

William Rollins

William Rollins

Posted: 1550903644000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rollins, Penn, Baker
Looking for any information on a William Allen Rollins (married to Sarah Elizabeth Baker) who probably died in the late 1890s. I've not found any records that indicate his parents' names, and I don't know his date of death or burial place. Census records say he was born in Mississippi; family legend says that before that the family was from Louisiana. His daughter Polly Jane (Rollins) Penn was my great-grandmother and she lived in Tyler county for most of her life, as far as I can tell. Anyone know anything about this family?

Re: William Rollins

Posted: 1550977932000
He possibly died 2 Nov 1896 and was buried Sandhill Cemetery of Tyler County? Sarah and David also buried there. Incorrect parents displayed on Sarah's death certificate. Her father was Charles Wesley Baker (20 Dec 1823 - 14 Nov 1884) buried Antioch Cemetery of Houston County, TX. View census: 1850 MS-Marshall-Northern Division-Image 66, 1860 MS-Marshall-Township 3 range 3-Image 11, 1870 MS-Marshall-Range 4-Image 39, and 1880 TX-Houston-Precinct 4-026-Image 46. Sarah was unmarried at age 31 but I cannot locate a marriage date/document. C. W. Baker wed Matilda J. Boren, 28 Aug 1861 in Marshall, MS.

Posted: 1551005421000
Polly had only one brother, David Fletcher. However, he never married so the possibility of his DNA is remote, to say the least! Still, his name my provide genealogical clues. View 1850 LA-Rapides-Not Stated-Images 45 & 46 for William Rollins age 36. I'll go out on a limb and offer: 1) the two youngest sons were inspirations for naming your great uncle and 2) their older brother, William age 14, eventually wed Sarah E. Baker. "Eventually" used because he married Lucinda Jane Robinson, first. They had William Smith Rollins ca. 1858 and, hopefully, his descendants will be sources of DNA? Confused? Probably justified 'cause it seems I'm on a journey from Delaware to Sandusky, OH via Oakland, CA! Totally relying on "litmus tests" developed during 20+ years of research.

Posted: 1551041528000
Thanks so much! This is helpful. I'll have to look at the census information. If the Sarah E Baker's parents' names are wrong on the death certificate, that would explain why I've found so little out about her.

Posted: 1551073039000
View "Roots and Wings", a family tree owned by member sylawrence. https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/58523/perso...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic