I'm struggling to find some "missing links" in our family tree -- which begins with my deceased mother, Leatha Myrtle Dennis Groth (1906-1992) and goes back to Donnock Dennis (b 1645, Ireland, d. 1716 in Annapolis, Md while on business there). The information I have was researched by my deceased uncle, Wilbur Edwin Dennis of Austin, Texas who writes that his information came from research done in:
The State of Texas Genealogy Library, Austin, Texas, The Orangeburg, South Carolina, Genealogical Library
The Family History Library Center at Temple Square, Salt Lake City, Utah, The Genealogical Library in The Harrell B. Lee Library of Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah.
Edwin Dennis stated: "The Heads of Family of the Dennis relatives in this country from whom we in the Southwest are descended are listed in the following information. Other descendants of Donnoch, including Samuel Dennis, went straight west into Kentucky, Ohio, and other parts of the midwest."
1. Donnoch Dennis, b. 1645, Ireland, d. 1716 in Annapolis, Md. while on business there. Had become an attorney, held many civic offices. Accumulated property, operated a plantation, owned cattle, horses, livestock. First house was of timber.
Married 1. Elice Littleton Mathews, had 7 children, 1 stepson. Elice is sometimes called Elice Nehullian. It is uncertain to me where the confusion arises. It may simply be the misreading of old handwritten script documents, where "Littleton" has been interpreted as "Nehullian."
Married 2. Elizabeth Bodkin, children not discovered. This name is sometimes called Elizabeth Day. They resided in Maryland and Virginia.
2. John Dennis, second son of Donnoch, Sr. (there was a Donnoch, Jr.) born on the homeplace, "Nassawadox," Somerset Co., Md., 12 Feb. 1676, died 1744. Inherited property from father Donnoch. Married Sarah Littleton, daughter of John Littleton, had 6 children, including his son, Donnoch III. John was appointed Judge of the Provincial Court in Maryland in 1710. He was a lawyer like his father. Somerset was later subdivided and Worcester Co. was created. Thus the old home place is partly in both counties. Some interesting notes about John's wife, Sarah. She was his first cousin, the daughter of Col. Southy Littleton, Elice's brother. They descended from Sir Thomas Lyttleton, Judge on the Bench of the King of England. Also, Sarah was married, first to Adam Michael who died 1689; second to John Custis III, ancestor to Martha Custis Washington, wife of George Washington. Sarah was 13 years older than John Dennis when they were married. Nevertheless, they had six children, three of whom died young. Donnoch, III was the third son of John and Sarah, and the man who was the progenitor of our bloodline in the South and Southwest.
This has grown way too lengthy, so I'll just list the line:
1. Donnoch Dennis 1645-1716
2. John Dennis 1676-1744
3. Donnoch Dennis, II 1710--Son of John Dennis, son of Donnoch Dennis 1 (Donnoch Dennis ll, son of Donnoch 1, not known to have children in the direct bloodline). When Donnoch 1 died, he left land to Donnoch lll. Donnoch lll and Sarah had six children, the oldest of whom was Johnson who carried on our bloodline.
4. Johnson Dennis, married Nancy ?. They had several children, among whom was William Dennis, who carried the bloodline of our family.
5. William Dennis is one of at least 4 of Johnson Dennis' children. However, in a list of inheritance, William did not real estate, but his name is found on the Tithe Tax list in 1787. He married Susanna Whitehead in 1789 and several children, one of whom was Allen Dennis, born in South Carolina.
6. Allen Dennis Born about 1790 to 1795? He married Susanna Brummit, and moved to the eastern part of Tennessee. They had several children, among who was Tillman Allen Dennis.
7. Tillman Allen Dennis born 1817 in Georgia. (Here's where we can't connect to Leatha Myrtle Dennis' Grandfather, Jesse Dennis, because records say his father is Tillman Dudley Dennis, not Tillman Allen Dennis.)
8. Jesse Dennis born 1852 in Dade County, Georgia. His mother was Martha Amos Dennis; his wife was Martha Ann Young (Dartha) in 1876. She was the mother of Leatha Myrtle Dennis' father, Tillman Monroe who was born in 1879. She died in 1892 and Jesse married again to Mary Caroline Jackson, affectionately known as Molly.
9. Tillmon Monroe Dennis--Sept. 9, 1879, died April 1, 1960 in San Antonio, Texas.
10. Leatha Myrtle Dennis Groth,1906-1992) my mother, married to my Dad, John Groth, July 15, 1928.
11. Geraldine Fay Groth Holt (1932- )--John and Leatha's daughter, living in Blythe, Georgia (near Augusta, Georgia.)
Sorry this is so long. I have more details on each of the above if anyone is interested, but fear I have rambled on too long in this post.
Signed, Geraldine Fay (Dennis) Groth Holt