Search for content in message boards

Hawkins family

Hawkins family

Posted: 1320294382000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hawkins, Baxter, Morrow, Malone, Sharp
I've been researching my Hawkins family in Morgan County for several years now and am beginning to make a little progress. My ancestor, James McDaniel Hawkins, and two of his brothers, Jeremiah and Orlando, were living in the George W. Morrow household in 1850. Their brother William Benjamin Hawkins, age 19, was living in the Melvin Orme household in the same community. Probate documents (Dec. 1842) have recently been found which show these four boys to be the son of William Hawkins, deceased. There was a William Hawkins in the 1840 census which was almost certainly the boys' father, and also in the 1830 census.

William Hawkins married Lurana/Susana Malone in 1824 in Morgan County. Then he married Helen Baxter in 1831 in Cumberland Co., NC (A newspaper obituary from 1840 for Helen Hawkins who died in Somerville, Morgan Co., AL formerly of Cumberland Co., NC). There is another marriage in 1841 of William Hawkins to Rebecca Sharp. I believe that all three of these marriages were the same William since there was only one Hawkins household in Morgan Co. at this time. The 1830 and 1840 censuses showed older male children in the Williams Hawkins household, but I don't know that they were Hawkins; perhaps children from his first wife's previous marriage? The four Hawkins boys listed on the guardian bond in 1842 were born 1832-1838.

I would appreciate any information on the Hawkins family in Morgan County, as well as the Malone and Sharp families into which he married.

Re: Hawkins family

Posted: 1325960213000
Edited: 1325962374000
william benjamin hawkins married martha elizabeth adkins
august 20,1857 in desoto county,mississippi and they had a son walter daniel hawkins born nov.1869 in lauderdale county,ms.and died after 1930 in lauderdale co.mississippi and he married jessie newton walker born 1873 in mississippi and they are in the 1900-1910-1920-1930 meridian,lauderdale co.ms census.
their children were martha j.feb.1896 lauderdale,ms-annie s.
may 1899 lauderdale,ms-helen l.1901 lauderdale,ms-walter d.jr 1908 lauderdale,ms.annie sales hawkins married walter
thornton rook and had daughters helen hawkins rook and annie h. rook and a son walter t. rook jr.born nov.29,1929 they can be found in the 1930 memphis,shelby county,tn census walter t. rook jr. had a son walter t. rook lll.and walter rook sr. died in 1981 in memphis,tn
i have contact info. for walter jr if you will email me at
williamfcraigjr@aol.com
walter daniel hawkins was walter rook jrs grandfather and william benjamin hawkins was his great grandfather.

Re: Hawkins family

Posted: 1326457821000
Surnames: Hawkins, Baxter, Malone, Sharp
Thank you for contacting me. I've been collaborating with another William Benjamin Hawkins descendant in my research and we've made several discoveries recently. I'll be glad to share those with you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic