Search for content in message boards

SMITHS of Rockbridge

SMITHS of Rockbridge

Posted: 983966400000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1101474345000
Surnames: SMITH, MARKHAM, NORCROSS
Does anyone have any information about the following individuals?
William SMITH b. May 1812
Nancy SMITH b. ca 1813 (Nancy is listed as Nancy Smith on the 1870 census living with a family named WORTH so perhaps she was a WORTH before she married.) She is Wm.'s wife.

Serena SMITH b. May 1850 d/o WM. & Nancy

William SMITH b. May 1877? s/o Serena

Sally SMITH b. Mar 1879 d/o Serena

Walter SMITH b. ca 1879 s/o Serena

Harry SMITH b. Dec 1873 s/o Serena m. Willie Page

Richard S. SMITH b. Mar 1882 s/o Serena

Samuel E. SMITH b. ca 1876 m. Mary (Marny?) ca. 1909 in Rockbridge and had John W. and Lenord.

Julia Ann SMITH b. Aug 1860 d/o Wm & Nancy

Ollie Bell SMITH b. May 1875 d/o Julia

Era Elizabeth SMITH b. May 1889 d/o Julia m. Roy Rickman
ca. 1920 in Botetourt Co. In the 1910 census the occupation of Julia, Ollie and Era is listed as laundress.

Clarence Bell SMITH b. 1904 s/o Era m. Dorothy Markham
in Botetourt Co. Had the following children: Ardelia, Norman, Wayne, Raymond, and Susie

Miles Arment SMITH b. 1906 s/o Era m. Elois Catherine
Markham in Botetourt Co. (The Markham girls were cousins and both lived in Arcadia in Botetourt) and had the following children: Loretta and James (Buddy)

William B. SMITH b. Mar 1895 s/o Julia

Eddie P. SMITH b. May 1898 s/o Julia

Hubert b. ca 1892
If anyone has any info (good or bad) or is related to this family, I would love to correspond with you. I believe the Richard (Dick) and one of these Williams lived in Arcadia in Botetourt Co.

Jaymee Smith Jenkins

Re: SMITHS of Rockbridge

Posted: 1016971776000
A William Smith married a Nancy Nicely on 2/11/1840. Nancy was daughter of Mary Nicely, minister was Samuel Houston, Presbyterian. (Rockbridge County Virginia Marriages 1778-1850.)

Posted: 1017055328000
Edited: 1019832488000
Hi Jaymee I know a man (minister ) who lives close to me you might want to write to. His wife is related to the Smith you are intested in. Shall I forward your Query ?????? DON

Posted: 1408382107000
Sorry, I know this is a very old thread, but I see you've been online recently and might be able to assist. The John Worth family that Nancy Smith was living with in 1870 is a line that I'm trying to track down. John and Mary would be my 2x great-grandparents.

Mary Smith (b ca 1841) married John W Worth in 1867. She had two children prior to this marriage: W. Thomas Smith (b ca 1861) and James S. Smith (b ca 1862). In the 1870 census Thomas and James are incorrectly listed under the Worth surname. In 1880 they are correctly identified as Smith. I've been unsuccessful in locating Mary before 1867, given that it's such a common name.

I'm not sure how Mary is related to Nancy. Nancy is twice her age in 1870, so I'd originally thought she was Mary's MIL from her first marriage. Albeit it did seem a bit strange for her to be living with the Worths. Now I'm wondering whether Mary's sons Thomas and James were illegitimate and thus Nancy is Mary's mother. I found 1850 and 1860 census records for the family of William and Nancy Smith, who have a daughter Mary born around 1840. I have no idea whether this is the right family though.

Would you happen to have any additional leads on these families? Unfortunately I live in New York and can't get to the records in Rockbridge to search further myself. Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give.

Posted: 1408414264000
Surnames: Smith, Worth
Finally! A response from a relative!

I am looking at a copy of John W. Worth and Mary E. Smith's marriage license from Rockbridge, dated 17 June 1867. The marriage took place on the 18th. I will give you all the info given:
Age him, 42 age her 24
He was widowed. She was single.
They were both born in Rockbridge.
His parents: Spencer B. and Mary Worth.
Her parents: William and Nancy Smith.
He (Worth) was a farmer.
Minister's return dated the 18th. Marriage was at the residence of William Smith. Minister was Wesley Hammond.

So, you can see that your assumptions abt Mary's family were correct. Nancy was her mother.

Let me know if I can help further.

Posted: 1408440538000
I have more information on these people, both the Worths and the Smiths. This is the William Smith and Nancy Nicely mentioned in one of the previous posts. Nancy's mother was named Mary. She later married a man named Hoover. I have the dates, just not at hand, so if you are interested, let me know.

I have sorted some parts of this story better than others, based on the paper trail I have been able to find. If you let me know what you want to know, it will make it easier and I won't swamp you with a bunch of stuff you don't care about.

Posted: 1408635555000
Surnames: Worth
Thanks so much for the information! The Worths are definitely a sticking point for me. In particular, I'm having trouble with the following:

- Erskine Worth (my great-GF). Everything about his birth and parents is questionable. These are the documents I've located him in along with an estimated birth year based on the reported age:
1900 Census, age 19, grandson of John and Mary Worth (b ca 1881)
1907 Marriage, age 24, son of John and Mary Worth (b ca 1883)
1910 Census, age 24, head of house (b ca 1886)
1920 Census, age 30, head of house (b ca 1890)
1921 Death, age 32, son of John Worth and Nancy Miller (b ca 1888)
Without finding him anywhere before 1900 it is hard to make an educated guess as to which bits of these are correct. I'm inclined toward a later date (ca 1888) and Laura Worth being his mother, but that's entirely supposition.

- Jesse Stuart Worth (b ca 1877). I can't find him aside from the 1880 census. Did he die some time before 1900?

- Jesse Worth (b ca 1893) and Stuart Worth (b ca 1897). Other than Jesse living with Ernest and Maggie in the 1910 census (listed as nephew), I can't find these two after 1900 either. They are given as being grandsons of John and Mary, so if I had to guess a parent then I'd also go with Laura.

So much of what I have are just guesses. If you have any documents or info that would corroborate or correct these facts, I would be thrilled to know about them. No 1890 census has been a real hardship in trying to sort this all out.

Posted: 1418808779000
Surnames: Smith & Nicely
I would be interested in anything on William Smith and Nancy Nicely. I have been told Nancy's mother name was Mary and saw your post. I been using census records as a starting point but as you know the further back you go the less info on them :( William & Nancy Smith are from my mother's side of the family and she is stuck at these as well. She is trying to figure out Williams parents names with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted: 1418899163000
What times are you talking about? I have Smiths and Nicelys in my tree. It helps to know dob and dod in answering.

Posted: 1418900581000
William Smith born 1812 in Virginia and Nancy Nicely born 1840 in Rockbridge, Virginia. Married 1840 in Rockbridge, Virginia
per page

Find a board about a specific topic