Search for content in message boards

John Mayo (1598-1676) on MA - proof of parents sought

John Mayo (1598-1676) on MA - proof of parents sought

Posted: 1055013803000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1061413766000
Surnames: Mayo
Proof of parents and other ancestry data sought for John Mayo, b. 2 April 1598 in Cattistock, Northamptonshire, reputedly baptised the same day in Middleton Cheney, d. 3 May 1676 in Yarmouth, MA, an ordained minister. It is thought without proof that John is son of the Rev. John Mayo, Sr., b. 1565 in West Orchard, Shaftsbury, England, died by 17 Feb 1635 in Cattistock, England and buried at Cattistock (wife perhaps Elizabeth ___). The full name, dates and parents for John's wife, Thomasine, are also sought.

Re: John Mayo (1598-1676) on MA - proof of parents sought

Jean Mayo-Lakatos (View posts)
Posted: 1055074253000
Hi Al,
It appears that you've gotten your information from the Mormon Ancestral File. I actually gave them my research as well, and they mixed up 3 different versions of Rev. John Mayo's ancestry into a sort of chicken soup.

I was able to prove that Rev. John Mayo1 did not marry Elizabeth Saunders, Hannah Graves, or Thomasine Constable. Hannah Graves married John Mayo of Roxbury, MA., and not Rev. John Mayo. Rev. John Mayo didn't marry Thomasine Constable in East Malling, Kent, England, because I just had 2 English researchers of Kent, England comb the records in Kent, and no such marriage record exists over there. He didn't marry Elizabeth Saunders either. I had the Dorset, England records checked by a Dorset researcher, and this is what he found.

John Mayo, born ca. 1590, son of the Rector of Cattistocke, Dorset, England, married Elizabeth Saunders in Dorset...I don't have my research in front of me to give you the town, but it could have been Caundle Bishop. This family has connections to the other towns as well that you name in your original posting. Anyway, this John Mayo, born ca. 1590, cannot be Rev. John Mayo, because this John Mayo married, had children whose names do not match up to those of Rev. John Mayo, and there is record of him dying and being buried in Dorset, England. His wife, Elizabeth, died there a few years later. So he cannot be Rev. John Mayo.

My sources are the following:

1. Ronnie Cobb, researcher for East Malling, surrounding towns, and the county of Kent in general. I also checked several records offices of that area, as I could not find a central records office for Kent, like I could in other counties of England.

2. Mormon IGI Index for Kent, England.

3. Christopher Langston, researcher for Dorset, England, who lives in Bridport, Dorset, England.

4. Dorset, England County Records Office.

5. Mormon IGI Index for Dorset, England.

6. Present Rector of Cattistocke, Dorset, England.

The reason lots of people thought that Rev. John Mayo was the son of John Mayo, rector of Cattistocke, Dorset, England was because it is said that at the time of his death, Rev. John Mayo had in his possession a book entitled, " The Pope's Parliament ", by John Mayo, rector of Cattistocke, that was published in 1591. I have found this rare book at the Yale University Law Library, and they were good enough to copy it on paper from microfilm and bound it and send it to me. I'm sure they would do the same for you if you are interested.

So that is the main reason that people think that Rev. John Mayo is the John Mayo, born ca. 1590, s/o John Mayo, rector of Cattistocke, who married Elizabeth Saunders, etc. But that has been completely disproved.

The Thomasine Constable, East Malling, Kent, England connection was brought to me by another researcher. I have just finished working on that theory, and have met some delightful people in the process in England. There is no record that can be found for John Mayo marrying Thomasine Constable in Kent, England, especially not in East Malling or surrounding towns. There is no record of John Mayo at all in East Malling or surrounding towns for that time period, that any of my researchers could find. There are Constable's living in East Malling however, but none connected to this Thomasine Constable, or her parents, Thomas and Ann Constable.

I think this information came from the Mormon Kent IGI Index, and the original source was named as a researcher, and not an actual record. This is kind of obvious because when you see the entries concerning it on the Roots Web World Connect Project, it only gives the date of marriage as 1618/1619. It gives no further date or church or whatever, which often can be found on the Mormon IGI index records. And every time I see this theory floated around, the source is always named as another researcher...no record or book or anything is named as the original source for this information.

Because of the research that I sent to the Mormon Ancestral File in Utah, a jumbled up mess has happened and the towns and counties have been messed up. Caundle Bishop, West Orchard, Shaftesbury, and Cattistocke all lie in Dorset, England...and this area pertains to John Mayo, rector of Cattistocke, and his son, John Mayo, born ca. 1590.

Farthinghoe, Thorpe Mandeville, Middleton Cheney, etc. are all in Northamptonshire, England. It was thought that Rev. John Mayo was born on April 2, 1598 in Middleton Cheney. However, I had the town historian of Middleton Cheney, Nancy Long, personally look at the record, which at that time, could still be found in the parish records there, and this is an error. A Crescent Mayo, s/o Peter Mayo, was born on April 2, 1598, and not a John Mayo. So that theory is not correct. I followed it up with Rachel Watson of the Northamptonshire County Records Office to verify this.

I did find record of Rev. John Mayo and his family of origin, that I believe to be accurate, in Farthinghoe and Thorpe Mandeville, however. My sources for that information are:

1. Nancy Long, Town Historian of Middleton Cheney, who did the legwork for me and personally held the records in her hands.

2. Rachel Watson, archivist at the Northamptonshire County Records Office.

3. Farthinghoe parish rector...I was able to write to him several times before he retired.

4. Thorpe Mandeville parish rector.

According to the Banks Manuscripts, Rev. John Mayo came to Nauset from North Newington, Oxfordshire, England, which is only a few miles away from what I believe to be his boyhood home in Thorpe Mandeville, even though both places are located in different counties.

I believe this Banks research to be accurate. North Newington is a stone's throw from Broughton Castle and Lord Saye and Sele...and to Banbury, the hotbed of Puritanism. In the 1630's, Lord Saye and Sele had secret Puritan meetings held in a secret room at the top of his castle. I believe Rev. John Mayo attended these meetings, along with some Warwickshire Puritans located just over the border between Warwickshire and Oxfordshire.

The reason I believe this is because in America, Rev. John Mayo wrote letters to Lord Saye and Sele and was said by the Gov. of CT. to have special favor with Lord Saye and Sele, a.k.a. William Fiennes. Also, in a letter written by Rev. John Mayo, he mentions these Warwickshire friends by name, who were the earliest settlers of CT., and were funded by Lord Saye and Sele, the Earl of Warwick, etc.

I have alot more research to send to you, but I will do so by e-mail. I hope I have managed to explain myself well enough for you this morning on only one cup of coffee. I'm going for my second cup now. If you have any questions, or if you would like any information on your Mayo line from " Rev. John Mayo and His Descendants " by Jean Mayo Rodwick, published in 2001, please do not hesitate to contact me at: jmayolak@tampabay.rr.com . Have a great day.

Jean Mayo-Lakatos.

Posted: 1055075833000
Edited: 1061413766000
Dear Distant Cousin Jean -

MANY thanks for your excellent research and comprehensive reply to my query!

I will be in contact with you via email.

Posted: 1055080089000
Hi Al,
You're welcome. One final thing...I am doing follow-up research in the Leiden area of Holland concerning the believed marriage record of Rev. John Mayo, and also concerning his wife, Tamisen, and their children. I have hired a private research husband and wife team to do this research for me; however, they are in great demand and I am on their waiting list. I have done all of the research that I could manage in Holland myself through the mail at this point. Any new information that I can get from this research couple in Holland, I will post on this message board, as well as on the Genforum Mayo message board.

Jean Mayo-Lakatos

Posted: 1055084621000
Concerning Rev. John Mayo marrying Thomasine Lumpkin, widow of William Lumpkin, between 1671 and 1676, I have been unable to prove or disprove that theory:

1. No marriage record could be found in Boston or anywhere on Cape Cod for Rev. John Mayo and Thomasine Lumpkin for the time period of 1671 - 1676, after the death of William Lumpkin.

2. No death or burial records could be found for: Thomasine Lumpkin, William Lumpkin, Rev. John Mayo, or Tamisen Mayo anywhere on Cape Cod. We know from will and estate records that William Lumpkin died in Yarmouth, MA. in ca. 1671, and that Rev. John Mayo died in Yarmouth, MA. in May of 1676. William Lumpkin left widow, Thomasine Lumpkin. Rev. John Mayo left widow, Tamisen Mayo.

3. There is a record in Yarmouth, MA. of a Mis Mayho who died in Yarmouth, MA. on Feb. 26, 1682, who we assume to be the widow of Rev. John Mayo; however, her first name was not given.

4. I have a marriage record in Leiden, Holland that I believe to be the marriage record for Rev. John Mayo and his wife, Tamisen ( Tamsen ), on March 21, 1618. I am doing follow-up research in Holland on this marriage record, to try to establish further proof that this marriage record pertains to Rev. John Mayo...or even rule it out. If I can prove that, then it would appear that Tamisen would have been his one and only wife probably...and it would be doubtful then that he had married Thomasine Lumpkin, the widow of William Lumpkin.

5. Some say that Tamsen, Tamisen, and Thomasine are rare names in England. I have done extensive research in England on numerous lines of my family tree, and I have seen it used quite a bit in those times there.

So that's where we stand at the present time!

Jean Mayo-Lakatos.

Jan Jordabtv.net (View posts)
Posted: 1081774626000
Surnames: Lumpkin, Mayo
Hi Jean,
Samuel MAYO, [son of John Mayo, immigrant, b. 1598], was born 1625 in Boston, Middlesex, MA, married in 1643 Tamison LUMPKIN [1625-1709], and he died in MA. They are my direct ancestors. Do you have access to the information from "The Reverend John Mayo Genealogy" by E. Jean Mayo, page 2?

I am confused on who Samuel's parents and MAYO grandparents are. All information would be greatly appreciated.

Jan

Posted: 1514699206000
Dear Jean Mayo-lakatos, Thank you for all the wonderful work done on this thread. I was so confused when looking for the connections of my families of Dike, Bishop and Warren to a Mayo family. I had only known Cattistock in Dorset but the inclusion of a Cattistock in Northants threw me. I have just found your advice on the message board and have printed it out to quietly digest.
My husband and I have both descents from Australian pioneer settlers and Mayflower pilgrims. My husband from the purser of HMS /Sirius arrived in New South Wales 1788. This gives our children, grandchildren and now 2 great grandchildren the unique lineage from the history of both America and Australia. the First fleet and the Mayflower.
Happy hunting, Lefayre Palmer
per page

Find a board about a specific topic