Search for content in message boards

list of Wilkes Co. Confederate soldiers

Two Joines Ancestors

Ed Morrah (View posts)
Posted: 963576000000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Joines, Buttery, McGrady, Caudill
Thanks for posting this list. If the Joines listd are your ancestors, we are related. Shadrach F. (Shade) Joines (incorrectly spelled Joins) is my great-grandfather and his brother Major F. is my great-granduncle. I descend from Shadrach(1), James Hardin(2), Ruth(3) m S.P. Morrah, James E. Morrah(4). Would be interested in the connection and would be happy to share any info I may have on the family and their Wilkes Co. relations.

Ed Morrah

list of Wilkes Co. Confederate soldiers

Sophia Fox (View posts)
Posted: 963576000000
Edited: 1114613482000
Surnames: Joines
Here is the web address for the Roll of Honor of the 33rd North Carolina State Troops. These soldiers were called the "Wilkes Regulators" from Wilkes Co. http://www.beaufort-hyde.org/scv/co_d.htm Two Joines ancestors are listed along with many other men with different family names. The printout is nice to add to family tree records.

Two ancestors we share

Sophia Fox (View posts)
Posted: 963662400000
Surnames: Joines, Fox
Hi! Major is my husband's great great grandfather (and Shadrach is his great great grand uncle)! My mother-in-law is Dorothy Joines. Her father was Welter Isaac and his dad was Rufus Hardin, son of Major. Dorothy is working on putting together the family tree for her Joines line. I, on the other hand, have taken it upon myself to try to find out what country the Joines' originated from. I think it is England instead of Scotland- but who knows. I'm aware of other people looking into this too. Also, I really wish I knew what regiment Thomas Joines served in during the Revolutionary War. I guess I was kind of jealous to learn that Major and Thomas served our country and I couldn't find much about my own Dad's line: the Fox family from North Carolina. Imagine my surprise when, while researching the Joines' in Wilkes Co., I found MY (5 greats) grandfather, Francis Fox, having lived there too at the time of Thomas and having also served in the Revolutionary War! (Small world as my husband and I are from different states and grew up many miles apart)! I'm trying to trace back before Francis. Shadrach was a man I enjoyed reading about- the dark hair and eyes...our side of Joines men had blonde hair and blue eyes. What a gutsy man he was (patriotic: a survivor when he and just one other soldier were alive at the end of a battle, tough: when he was taken prisoner and when his arm had to be amputated). (Major was a POW also). If you have questions, I will ask Dorothy. I'm interested in anything on Thomas and I wonder: Do you have a copy of a pamphlet that a college in CA was giving out that had Shade's Civil War stories in it? I read about it briefly on the internet, but don't know much else. Thanks!

Surname: Joines, Caudills

Posted: 963748800000
Edited: 993203057000
Surnames: Caudill, Joines, Blevins, Combs, McCann, Smith
Was Major Joines married to Sarah Caudill 24 April 1825? I am interested in information on his family. Sarah Caudill is the sister of John B. Caudill, my ancestor. I am also looking for information on children of Ezekiel Joines, b. 2 june 1800 and married to Pheroby Caudill.

Thanks

joines of wilkes

Posted: 964267200000
Edited: 994046158000

ezekial joines is the granddaddy of all the joines in this country. he came from scotland with his brother who was younger. both were in battle of cows pens in sc. brother was killed. so ezekial was only one to get married and raise a family. he had land in what is now all. co. whitehead community. all joines descendants come from ezekial(spelled different ways) regards-bonnie

joines of wilkes

Joyce Joines Newman (View posts)
Posted: 965390400000
The Ezekial Joines who was the beginning of the present Joines family of Wilkes County was in the western NC area shortly after it opened to white settlement and before Wilkes County was created. In 1750 the only white people in the area were Christopher Gist and his son, but by the 1760s there is a Joines on tax lists in Rowan County (which then included present Wilkes Co.) (as Thomas Goins I believe--the name is spelled Joins, Joines, Joynes, Jines, Gines, Goins--it used to be pronounced "Jines").

I've never seen any exact information on where he came from--although I would like to. I once got sidetracked on the Joynes-Joines family of the Eastern Shore of Virginia because of the name Major Joines, but they are unrelated. Some say he and his brothers came from Scotland. There are Joineses around the Liverpool area in England. Alternatively, Ezekial may have come to NC from Culpeper Co., Va., with other relatives (Gains, Gaines) who moved on to SC--there is a deed selling land in the Traphill area which makes that connection.

There is a Thomas Joins listed in the 1787 Wilkes County (created 1778) tax list and he is also in the 1790 Wilkes County census as having 1 white male 16+, 1 white male 16-, and 7 white females.

Ezekial Goins's marriage to Sarah Gunter was recorded in Rowan County around 1782???--again I can look up the date. Sarah was his second wife. He had children by his first wife, including two (or three?) sons Major and Thomas. It was his SON Thomas who was killed in the Revolutionary War in SC. The children by his first marriage lived in the northern part of Wilkes around Traphill, and it is from them that the Major, Shadrach, etc. mentioned in other postings here descended.

Ezekial's will in 1805??--I can also look up this date--also includes Edmund Gunter ALIAS Joines, who is the beginning of the Wilkes County Joineses in the southern part of the county around Brocktown/Moravian Falls. Edmund was my great-great-great grandfather.

It's been several years since I researched some of this. I can send you more exact information if you're interested. Please write and tell me anything you know about the Joines family.

joines of wilkes

Joyce Joines Newman (View posts)
Posted: 965390400000
Also Ezekial Joines is in the 1784-87 census as having in his household 1 WM 21- and 1 WM 60+ and 2 WF.

joines family

Posted: 967809600000
Edited: 994046158000

the posting on joines was very informative. i appreciate the info. have not researched the joines line very much, although my mother was a joines. my grandfather had black hair and dark eyes. a very handsome man. his sister martha was also dark.they were born in whitehead section of wilkes or maybe all. co. martha lived to be 94.very bright and intelligent. all her children are gone now but 2 and they are in their 80s.they were raised along new river and remember alot of family stories. regards-bonnie

Joines/Caudill

Posted: 970833600000
Edited: 1021158525000
Surnames: McCann, Smith
G'day Sharon.
I am a direct descendant of the McCann/Smiths of Traphill, Wilkes Co, NC.
Where do you fit in?
regards,
Kevin

Ps. go to genforum.genealogy.com/
then Caudill page 18 by Rose Caudill Terry.

Re: joines of wilkes

R.W GREYDOG (View posts)
Posted: 1004741989000
DEAR GREAT STATE of WILKES---
Am hoping you have any knowledge of the BEBBER or FOUSHEE families in WILKES COUNTY or IKE BROCK or trhe BRUSHY MOUNTAIN GROCERY STORE and the ROB GENTLE family.
HOPEFULLY you can supply some information on this and we can exchange any known information-----
ASALWAYS--
RWGREYDOG----
BEAUFORT-S.C.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic