Search for content in message boards

White Families of Greene Co. TN ca 1840

White Families of Greene Co. TN ca 1840

Posted: 1348879542000
Classification: Query
Hi all, My 4GG father James Moses (or Moses James) WHITE married Nancy "Emiline" COX in Greene Co., TN Jan of 1839. I have no earlier record of him. In 1830 Census, same location, they and baby daughter Mary, are residing 1 hh away from Emiline's father Ruben COX and family. Also nearby is Wiley J PROCTOR. The PROCTOR and WHITE Families are connected by the marriage of David WHITE to Olive PROCTOR, 1814 Rutherford Co., NC. (A descendant is a close Y-DNA match,)
Several hh away on same census is Peter WHITE with 3 M and 2 F in his home. I would appreciate any info on this Peter WHITE and certainly anything on my James Moses WHITE. I am guessing that Moses' father may be a William WHITE since that is the name given he and Emiline's first son, William Horton WHITE. (William then named his first son James Horton WHITE.) Census records list James Moses' place of birth as NC b. 1815-1820. He died and is buried in Laurel Co. KY in 1886.

Note I have found James Moses and family in: 1840, Greene Co., TN 1850 and 1860 in Hawkins Co., TN and then 1880 in Laurel Co., KY. (Haven't been able to locate them in 1870?!?)

Any help or suggestions most welcome and appreciated.
Thanks, Lori

Re: White Families of Greene Co. TN ca 1840

Posted: 1348879667000
Correction to post Re: White Families of Greene Co. TN ca 1840, they are on the 1840 Greene Co., TN Census, not 1830.

Lori

Re: White Families of Greene Co. TN ca 1840

Posted: 1492953134000
Edited: 1492953168000
Hi Lori,

I surely hope that you will get this message since you originally posted your message 4 1\2 years ago. I also have a White family member from Greene County Tennessee. My 2nd Great Grandmother, Almira White married John Anderson on 15 Dec 1848 in Greene County, Tennessee. I've looked for her parents for over 15 years and just this past weeks after uploading my raw DNA from 23andMe to FTDNA did I discover who I is my line of the WHITE family, although I still don't know exactly who is Almira's father. I would suspect that your line comes from the same WHITE family. The only way we can tell is if we compare our DNA.

Isaac Newton White born 4 Jun 1752 in New Kent County, Delaware, died 18 Aug 1819 in Washington County, Tennessee. He married Sarah Vaughn born 1755 in Hanover, Hanover County, Tennessee, on 12 Oct 1775 in Guilford County, North Carolina. They had the following children:

1) Mary "Polly" White born 12 Jul 1776 • Guilford, Loudoun County, Virginia, died 22 Aug 1840 • Washington County, Tennessee. Married Thomas Gibson

2) David Watson White born 4 Mar 1778 • Guilford County, North Carolina, died 30 Jan 1855 • Washington County, Tennessee. Married Synthia Shackelford

3) William White born 27 Feb 1780 • Guilford County, North Carolina, died Jun 1842 • Washington County, Tennessee. Married 1) Edith Powell 2) Rebecca Collier

4) Stephen White born 17 Jul 1782 • Washington County, Tennessee, died Nov 1839 • Hancock County, Indiana. Married Jane Bell.

5) Jacob White born 1783 • Horse Creek, Washington County, Tennessee, died 1784 • Horse Creek, Washington County, Tennessee

6) Richard Scott White born 4 Jun 1786 • Greensboro, Guilford County, North Carolina, died 1845 • Washington County, Tennessee. Married Rebecca Harold.

7) Susannah White born 11 Apr 1788 • Horse Creek, Washington County, Tennessee, died 14 Jun 1843 • Washington County, Tennessee. Married Daniel Denton.

8) Terry White born 11 Apr 1788 • Horse Creek, Washington County, Tennessee, died 28 Oct 1872 • Washington County, Tennessee. Married Mary Caldwell.

9) Rosanna "Anna" White born 22 Aug 1795 • Washington County, Tennessee, died 30 Apr 1867 • Washington County, Tennessee. Married Elijah Keen.

It is possible there are more children than these listed above. In Isaac Newton White's Will, he stated, "I have hereafter given and conveyed to my other sons their portion in land I hereby bequeath the several sons given their part or their part of my estate". But the ones I have listed are the only ones actually named in the Will, with exception to Jacob White who died in infancy.

My best guess is that my Almira White is the daughter of David Watson White, although she is not named as Almira White in his Will. But she only had 2 children with John Anderson and their only son's name is David William Anderson. I suspect that Almira is either a first or middle name.

I did match through DNA someone else who is related through this family. If you have had your DNA tested, then maybe we could compare our DNA and see if you match my DNA. I have a GedMatch account and we could compare through them if you would like.

My email address is jenklow@yahoo.com. Please contact me! My GedMatch # is
M841436

Jennifer "Jenny" Gaulding Low
per page

Find a board about a specific topic