Search for content in message boards

McRAE HOTEL,LANCASTER,ONTARIO

McRAE HOTEL,LANCASTER,ONTARIO

RHONDA LANDRIAULT/McRAE (View posts)
Posted: 1138510553000
Classification: Query
Surnames: M
I AM LOOKING FOR ANY INFORMATION ON THE HOTEL AND ITS OWNER EVANDER McRAE,THE HOTEL WAS BUILT BY HIM IN 1817,HE OWNED IT UNTIL 1903,MY GREAT-GRANDFATHERS NAME WAS EVANDER McRAE,I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS IS A RELATIVE OF MINE,WHEN HE WAS BORN AND WHERE,WHEN DID HE DIE,DID HE DIE IN LANCASTER,DID HE HAVE A FAMILY,WERE THERE ANY SIBLINGS,ARE THERE ANY RELATIVES OF HIS STILL LIVING,I AM TRYING TO GET THIS FAMILY TREE FINISHED BEFORE MY DAD DIES,

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME,TIME IS OF THE ECCENSE

RHONDA LANDRIAULT/McRAE

Re: McRAE HOTEL,LANCASTER,ONTARIO

Rhoda Ross (View posts)
Posted: 1138569546000
St. Andrew's Church record's, Williamstown, Ont.
B68 - 1832, pg. 100, Bk. 2
Margaret Ross
Margaret daughter of Donald Ross of Lancaster and of Catharine Ross his wife was born on the 9th May and baptd. on the 28 June.

August 1997 RR
The Glengarry News, Dec. 30, 1921, pg. 5, col. 3 Lancaster
Mrs. Evander McRae
In the death on Monday, 19th Dec. at her late residence, here, in the person of Mrs. Evander McRae this district loses one of is most highly esteemed and respected residents. Deceased who had attained the venerable age of 90 years was a daughter of the late Donald Ross and widow of Evander McRae for many years owner and proprietor of the McRae Hotel. She possessed many sterling qualities, was widely known and her friends were legion. Mrs. McRae is survived by four daughters and two sons, Mrs. J. A. MacKie of Toronto, Mrs. W. B. Forbes, Montreal, Mrs. Dr. J. D. Cameron, Iron Mountain, Mich., Miss Margaret, Duncan and Herbert of this place, Two sisters are also left to mourn her loss, Miss Jennie Ross, of Chicago and Miss Barbara Ross, Lancaster.

Interment was made in the 2nd. Concession Cemetery. Dr. H. C. Sutherland officiating assisted by Rev. J. J. L. Gourley. Four grandchildren were pallbearers.

Margaret's father Donald Ross was a son of George Ross and Mary "Polly" and a grandson of Thomas "Taylor" Ross and Isabella Ross. Margaret's mother Catherine was the daughter of Donald Ross and Mary McMartin and the granddaughter of Thomas "Ban' Ross and Isabella Ross. They were United Empire Loyalists

Gravestones of Glengarry by Alex W. Fraser
Vol 2, pg 243, St Andrews, 2nd Concession, Church, Bainsville, Ont.
Donald John died March 16, 1886, aged 8 mmos. Evander died May 13, 1875 aged 2 yrs 1 mo & 11 days. Children of Evander &Margaret McRae (stone in 2 pieces, leaning on a corner paost east of stone No. 245
If I find anything else I will send it to you.
Yes, you have relatives in the area.

Rhoda Ross

RHONDA LANDRIAULT/McRAE (View posts)
Posted: 1138572907000
Surnames: McRAE
thank-you rhoda,you were a great help,do you have anything on the older EVANDER,like when he died,where he's buried,and anything about his ,parents,and siblings,maybe where he was born,you are fantastic,great info,any more help you can give i would appreciate it,where are you,i would like to take a day and come to lancaster,would love to take you for coffee,doyou know where i can find some pictures of the hotel and the family

again thank-you so much
RHONDA LANDRIAULT/McRAE

F Cormode (View posts)
Posted: 1138634597000
Surnames: McRae, McGillis
I have a photocopy from the Ontario Archives in Toronto of the marriage of Hattie McRae who married my grandfather's half brother:

Schedule B - Marriages, County of Glengarry, Division of Charlottenburgh
His Name: John McGillis; Age: 23; Residence when Married: Lancaster; Place of Birth: Lancaster; Bachelor; Rank or Profession: Clerk; Names of Parents: Neil McGillis, Margaret [Stewart] McGillis [she died in 1868];
Her Name: Hattie McRae; Age: 18; Residence when Married: Lancaster; Place of Birth: Lancaster; Spinster; Names of Parents: Evander McRae, Margaret McRae; Names and Residences of Witnesses: Wesley McLeod, Lancaster; Maggie Tobin, Lancaster;
Date & place of Marriage: 2nd Novr. 1886, Williamstown
Religious Denomination of Bridegroom: Presbyterian
Religious Denomination of Bride: Presbyterian
By whom Married: Rev. Peter Watson; By License or Banns: L

Photocopy of Hattie's death:
Schedule C - Deaths, County of Glengarry, Division of Lancaster, #017002
Harriet McGillis; died August 31, 1888; age 19 years; Rank or Profession: Tin Smiths wife; Cause of Death: Inflammation of the Bowels lasting about a week, Physician: Andrew Harkness M.D.
Signed by Registrar D. C. McRae

FCormode (View posts)
Posted: 1138635047000
Surnames: McRae, McGillis
Someone told me they thought the hotel had burned down. 1817 to 1903 is 86 years - do you think there were 2 Evander McRaes, one who built in 1817 and a son who had it till 1903?

Maureen (View posts)
Posted: 1139928427000
There is a picture of the McRae Hotel, Lancaster on the McCord Musuem website under William Notman's collection. Just type "McRae" in the search area.
Maureen

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 1143759104000
My great-grandfather, Archibald McDonald was manager of the McRae Hotel from about 1895-1901 & a great friend of the McRae family. I have a picture of the hotel, copied from an old book. I would think the Glengarry News would have an obituary of your ancestor.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic