Search for content in message boards

Parents of George Whitfield Durham

Parents of George Whitfield Durham

Posted: 1158760591000
Classification: Query
Surnames: DURHAM, GULLEDGE
My gg-grandfather was George Whitfield Durham, born 24 Oct 1850 somewhere in NC, died 17 Dec 1925 in Holmes County, MS. He was married to Martha Gulledge and they had three daughters and one son - Eva, Edna, Eula and Rezin - also known as Raymond.

I don't have any information about his parents but in the 1860 census there is a family listed in Itawamba, MS with a son George who would be about the right age. The parents in this census are listed as William and Elizabeth Durham.

Does anyone have any information that might indicate whether I'm on the right track?

Re: Parents of George Whitfield Durham

Posted: 1158762481000
OK - I went back to my records and although I show George W. Durham's birthplace as being NC, the census records of 1900 and 1920 show his birthplace as being Tennessee. There is an 1860 census record with a G W Y Durham born about 1851 with parents T Durham and Catherine Durham and their birthplaces are listed as NC.

I'm thinking that this might be closer to being the correct family - but this is why I'm wanting something more definitive - both families could fit.

Posted: 1519147096000
From what my uncle told me he was the brother to my grandfather. They were born in Greensboro, NC. Parents were killed in the Civil War. The went to Mississippi and came to Texas in the 1870's. They came to Kaufman County. I do have some other information about the family. Very interesting information! Would you happen to have a picture of him?

Gary Durham

Posted: 1519147156000
Surnames: Durham
From what my uncle told me he was the brother to my grandfather. They were born in Greensboro, NC. Parents were killed in the Civil War. The went to Mississippi and came to Texas in the 1870's. They came to Kaufman County. I do have some other information about the family. Very interesting information! Would you happen to have a picture of him?

Gary Durham

Posted: 1520135143000
Surnames: Durham
T. Durham is Tarleton Durham and wife, Catherine Cheek. I have them in my database as parents to a George W. Durham , b. Sept 1850 in Tennessee. In 1910 George W. Durham is living in Holmes County, Mississippi. I'm not sure if this is your DURHAM line, but maybe.
Byron Durham
www.durhamheritage.com

Posted: 1527179520000
I do believe that it is. My grandfather was Columbus Washington Durham. Born July, 1855. He came to Scurry, Texas and later in Kaufman, Rosehill, and Terrell--just east of Dallas. Would you happen to have any photos of George Whitfield his brother. I do have some interesting tales abut him that I heard from my uncle.

Thank you,

Gary Durham
per page

Find a board about a specific topic