Search for content in message boards

scanned copy of out of print book Many Cookes and their Broth, by Charles Cooke

scanned copy of out of print book Many Cookes and their Broth, by Charles Cooke

Posted: 1396833445000
Classification: Query
This 1967 book published by my cousin, Charles Cooke, covered a genealogical outline of our Cooke family of Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama. I scanned the entire book, Many Cookes and their Broth, into a pdf file, with a second pdf file that included the larger pages of charts, to send to a cousin. Using the free service of hightail.com (for sending large files) the following link will be live for 7 days (until April 13, 2014) for anyone who wants to download a copy. I don't pay for the file sharing service, so the link will expire after the 7 days.

The book is 6x9, and here is the link to those pages:
https://www.hightail.com/download/elNKZGl0WkJOQnhwdmNUQw

Here is the link to the charts and some correspondence to my great grandmother, which suggested a few additions and changes to the book. The charts are extremely tight on the pages... they were far oversized and I scanned them the best I could.
https://www.hightail.com/download/elNKZGl1ZDUwZ2tsYzhUQw

I assume it's ok to share an out of print book to be used in this manner; if anyone thinks this is not ok, let me know and I will delete the thread. I just thought there may be cousins who would love to get the information that my cousin worked so hard to compile and the copies aren't easily available, not being in many libraries.

Thanks,
Donna Arcara
(great-granddaughter of Martha Evelyn Cooke Garner,

Re: scanned copy of out of print book Many Cookes and their Broth, by Charles Cooke

Posted: 1435018900000
My dad has a copy of this book. I noticed, when I saw it, back in the early 80s, that I was the last child whose birth was recorded, in the book... On June 4th, 1966.

Re: scanned copy of out of print book Many Cookes and their Broth, by Charles Cooke

Posted: 1466346657000
Surnames: Cooke/Cook
Access to this book, the scanned copy, seems to be
expired. Could you reinstate it? I have many
ancestors of the Cooke family listed in my family
tree. It is public.
George W. Cooke
preservation2009@gmail.com

Posted: 1466357975000
Surnames: cooke cook
Hi George,

Try this link I just created... if it doesn't work, I will figure something else out. The file is about 32 MB so a little big to email. Let me know if this doesn't work...

Thanks,
Donna
darcara@charter.net

Posted: 1466358041000

Posted: 1511026726000
Surnames: Cook, Cooke
Donna

Thanks for posting this link to the book. This has been very helpful. My brother's YDNA results have posted this past month and we are in close genetic distance with Shem Cooke Descendants. I have been studying all of them that migrated out of Granville Co NC (I have many of my other lines which were also there) and on to parts of Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and Arkansas. My group had went to TN however we had been stuck at no proof of who my 2nd Gr Grandfather Wm C Cook's parents were. My sister and I have both tested our autosomal DNA and have some matches to the Rolin Cook who was in West TN area. My brother's closest genetic distance matches(those at zero or one) are from the Shem Cook(d. 1862 Carroll Co GA, a descendant of Rowland Cook(West TN--son of James) and one from the Stephen Cook who I believe was grandson of James thru his son Wm. I don't think it will be too long before I find the connection....certainly not another 27 yrs which is the length of time it has been the big brick-wall for me(since the beginning of my research)

--Marie Cooke Beckman
rmbeckman (at) gmail.com

Posted: 1511098495000
Glad it helped! I understand how the DNA can move your research along-- it has helped us break down some solid walls that we never thought would be moved. By any chance have you or your sister uploaded to Gedmatch? My dad's DNA would be my farthest back Cooke- in case you have anyone uploaded on gedmatch, my dad's kit number is A515419 and he is Robert Donald Garner on my public tree here on ancestry, garner_2012-05-10 (yes, terrible name, I didn't realize that filename would become my tree name! LOL). His DNA is also attached to that tree here on ancestryDNA. I hope you find your connection before another 27 years! If I can help in any way, let me know. My great grandmother was Martha Evelyn Cook Garner.
Donna

Posted: 1511131028000
Surnames: Blackwell, Cook, Cooke
Donna,
My Kit at GEDmatch is A718647 and my sisters is A899886

I am going to send you a message with the other Cook's GEDmatch numbers in it. We have about 7 off of Wm C Cook & Elizabeth Putman's line who have tested

While your Dad doesn't match me or my sister(We are thru their son Wm G -thru his son Thomas D)
He does match 2 of my 2nd Cousins once removed who are paternal siblings(Cook line) and who descend thru their son Wm G Cook but thru his son Wm Clarence Cook.
No match from the Joseph K. Cook branch or the Cass B Cook branch though I was able to find shared matches thru the AncestryDNA tab that are shared which look to have Blackwell in common and likely Cook. I did also notice that we have other lines in Common but they are on my PGM side while the Cook line is my PGF side.

I have a share link to one of Wm C. ---Wm Green Cook---Wm. Clarence Cook's line and can see you and your Dad shown as matches there on his.

--Marie Cooke Beckman

per page

Find a board about a specific topic