Search for content in message boards

Mostert

Mostert

Angie (View posts)
Posted: 988891200000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mostert
I am looking for info on the Mostert family in SA. My great grandmother was Maria Sophia Leonora Mostert, born 25.1.1881, died 10.1.1957.

MOSTERT

Everett MARSHALL (View posts)
Posted: 989064000000
Surnames: MOSTERT
Hi Angie,

My aunt Gerda Moore nee RATZEBURG married Andrew Mauritz MOSTERT known as 'Bill' a very successful mielie
farmer. He imported corn from the USA and then in turn produced a seed corn called 'Early Pearl' which was
shipped back to the USA.

In 1950 he lived on quite a substantial estate, the residence had 13 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms, with their own
electricity generators - their own Mausoleum - their own airfield - the 'longest' tree lined driveway on the
African continent leading up to the house - which is classified as a 'National Monument' etc.

Two of his sons were named Peter and David.

For more information contact me directly.
everett.marshall@3web.net

Mostert

Kathryn Witts (View posts)
Posted: 989150400000
I have a mostert in my family, Anna Catharina, born 17 Apr 1753 in Uitenhage, to Johannes Mostert and Anna Catharina Lindique. She married Johannes Jacobus Rens

Mostert & Rens

Jill Daugherty (View posts)
Posted: 989668800000
Surnames: Rens, Mostert, Lindeque, Lindique
I did a search for RENS, which was my mother’s maiden name, and the only document it found was yours. It corroborates the information I have about the Rens family, which I found in a book in the Merensky Library, University of Pretoria, on old Cape Dutch surnames. I thought it may be of interest to you:

a. Johan Adam RENS (of RENSCH) van Meerseburg in Saxon, kwam naar Z.A. in 1754 en huwde 1761 met Elizabeth Catharina LANTS:

b.1 Johan Pieter, 1762

b.2 Johannes Jacobus, 1764, geh. 1787 met Anna Catharina MOSTERT, weduwee van Gerrit Jacobus Romond:
c.1 Johannes Petrus, 1788
c.2 Bernhardus, 1790, geh. met Christina Johanna MULLER
c.3 Johannes Jacobus, 1793

b.3 Petrus, 1767, geh. 1791 met Jacomina MOSTERT, weduwee van F. Stander:
c.1 Jan Adam, 1792, geh. met Johanna Sara Christina HERHOLDT
c.2 Elizabeth Catharina, 1793
c.3 Jacomina, 1796
c.4 Magdalena Christina Dina, 1797

b.4 Christiaan Ernst, 1769, geh. 1797 met Aletta Jacoba AMELONG, weduwee van Bernhardus Mostert:
c.1 Elizabeth Jacoba, 1798
c.2 Justinus, 1800, geh. 1827 met Martha Margaretha LINDEQUE:
d.1 Johanna Magdalena, 1829
d.2 Aletta Jacoba, 1829

b.5 Roelof Marthinus, 1773

b.6 Bernhardus Johannes, 1777

My mother’s father was Justinus Rens, born in the early 1830s. He is not mentioned here, but was probably the third child of Justinus Rens and Martha Margaretha Lindeque. The Rens, Mostert and Lindeque/Lindique families all seem to have been related more than once - I suppose there weren’t all that many families in Uitenhage in those days!

Re: Mostert

Janine (View posts)
Posted: 1007515084000
Surnames: Mostert, Kenny
Hi,
I have Martha Helena Mostert, born in the Transvaal in the late 1800's. She married Andrew Henry Kenny, they had five children, she and Andrew died of black water fever in the 1920's, possibly with one of the children. Does any of this ring any bells for you?
Let me know if it does.
Janine Kenny

Angie Sales (View posts)
Posted: 1007553911000
Hi Janine

No, unfortunately it doesn't ring any bells. YET! But, please send me information about your Martha Helena Mostert. I've consulted every single source I could find (from personal visits to the area, SAG, NAIIRS, etc), but my Maria Sophia Leonora Burger (born Mostert) remains a mystery.

Angie

Janine (View posts)
Posted: 1007581912000
Surnames: Mostert, Kenny
Hi Angie,
I am new to tracing family trees esp. South Africa, so what does SAG, NAIIRS mean and how do you use them???
I am tracing Martha Mosert for my in-laws. As I said, she married Andrew Kenny,GGgrandfather, had 5 children, Cornelius Stephanus (known as James) born 1912, Rietfontein Springs, John, Patrick, Ria and Bess. When the parents died of Black Water fever, the children were raised by the Wades and the yougest two became Kenny-Wades. This is all the info I have.
Regards
Janine

Angie Sales (View posts)
Posted: 1007631729000
Hi

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'd love to give you all the info I have, but would it be possible to e-mail me directly at angiemls@mweb.co.za? It would enable me to reply more thoroughly.

Angie
Posted: 1043029726000
Surnames: rens
Any chance your Rens connections had a son named George who was a mariner who may have ended up in Liverpool, England?

Re: Mostert & Rens

Posted: 1043109639000
Can you help me? My ancestors were named Rens.
GEORGE RENS was a Danish mariner who arrived in Liverpool about 1800. He married Ann Billings in 1805 and his first son was James Rens born in 1808 in Liverpool. Do you have a connection to this Danish family? How do you suggest I find out more? Thanks Pam
per page

Find a board about a specific topic