Search for content in message boards

TB sanitorium near Red Bluff, Tehama, CA

TB sanitorium near Red Bluff, Tehama, CA

Posted: 1308432783000
Classification: Query
Surnames: PRINDLE
I am trying to track down the death of a relative who perhaps died of TB May 3, 1903 while a resident of the Red Bluff area of Tehama County. His name was Wyatt PRINDLE. I did not find an obit in the local newspaper. Could anyone tell me what hospital/sanitorium a person would likely have gone to back in 1903 if from Tehama Co? Thanks! Jane

Re: TB sanitorium near Red Bluff, Tehama, CA

Posted: 1309050494000
Surnames: PRINDLE
We also cannot find an obit for Wyatt PRINDLE in a local newspaper, but do note he is buried in Oak Hill Cemetery in Red Bluff in Section 3, Row 2, Plot 09 [date of death or internment listed as May 2, 1903.

In our Tehama County History Book [1856-2006] published by the Society, on page 102, there is a picture of the Tehama County Hospital taken ca 1905 with the following caption "After the first Tehama County Hospital which was in a home at the west end of Oak Street, burned in 1886, 26 acres of property on Walnut Street was purchased from Nehemiah J. and Sarah Smith and this new hospital was built in 1887 at a cost of $1,040. The building to the right og the hospital was used for several different purposes over the years. It was known as the pest house, isolation ward and later the men's ward. After a new county hospital was built on the property in 1937, Clarence Mendenhall, using his Caterpillar tractor, moved the men's ward further west to 20794 West Walnut Street and today it is the Westside Grange Hall."

If you would like a copy of the page, please send us privately your snail mail address.

FOR THE TEHAMA COUNTY GENEALOGICAL & HISTORICAL SOCIETY,

R. Scott Sherman

Re: TB sanitorium near Red Bluff, Tehama, CA

Posted: 1309057460000
Mr. Sherman,
Thank you so much for your reply! No, I don't need a copy of the page about the hospital. But I am curious about the burial of Wyatt. I didn't know he was buried at Oak Hill Cemetery. He is not included on the list that is available online. Thank you for the section, row and plot. The list I have puts the buried persons in blocks. The rest of his family are all in block 27. Do you know what block Wyatt is in? Thank you for your help!
Jane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic