Search for content in message boards

Lottie Hough, American Actress

Lottie Hough, American Actress

Posted: 1291251072000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hough, Howson
I am seeking information on Lottie Hough, a well-known actress in America during the period 1855-1870. She appeared in a number of productions, including the play that was presented the night President Lincoln was assassinated. I have reason to believe that she was married to my wife's GGF, William Henry Hough, b. 1818, Potsdam, NY, son of Caleb Hough and Philena Gary. I have one reference in a Detroit newspaper article to "Lottie Hough, wife of William, now of Detroit." I also have an 1860 US census record that lists a W. H. Hough, artist, and Lotty Hough, comedienne, living in a Chicago hotel. The ages fit, though W. H.'s birthplace is listed as Illinois. Finally, I have an article from a Chicago paper reporting on Lottie's divorce from her husband William in 1863. This is consistent with his subsequent marriage to Anna Bowe Howson in Detroit in 1872.

What I am lacking is any specific information about Lottie Hough's marriage, maiden name or death. If you have any data to share I would be most appreciative.

Re: Lottie Hough, American Actress

Posted: 1292176255000
Surnames: Hough
Hi,

She may be Charlotte Josephine Fowler Hough Gregory, 1833-1897. I don't know if the dates are her birth and death or her years acting/singing.

William H. (son of Caleb 1782)is listed in The Descendants of William Hough of Connecticut as publishing "The Carthagenian" in 1840, lived in NYC in 1856 and in Detroit, MI in 1903. There were apparently 3 wives, no names are listed. No children are listed for him. His brother Gary Andrews Hough (1813) is listed as an actor/manager.

That's all I could find, hope it helps.

Re: Lottie Hough, American Actress

Posted: 1292176481000
Thanks very much--yes, those are the individuals whom I have been researching. I did not have the information about William in 1840-56 and thank you very much for that. I have requested the microfilm containing Charlotte's death certificate and hope to find more there.

Thanks again!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic