Search for content in message boards

Seeking info on George and Lavinia (Bartell) Richards/Richards, and Joseph Bartell families

Seeking info on George and Lavinia (Bartell) Richards/Richards, and Joseph Bartell families

William Cook (View posts)
Posted: 1149610354000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1149741169000
Surnames: Richards, Bartell, Bartel, Bartle
I have recently begun research on my gg grandfather, Henry Bartell and his wife Mary Ann Harvey Bartell of Guilford Township, Jo Daviess Co, Illinois. Their surname was also spelled Bartel and Bartle on various documents. I'm currently seeking any information on their children and descendants living in California.

Henry was born November 1, 1817 in or near Camborne, Cornwall, England, the son of John and Jennifer Jane Gundry Bartell. Mary was born March 31st or April 1, 1819 in Gwinear, Cornwall, England, the daughter of James Harvey. Henry immigrated from Camborne, Cornwall to the Galena, IL area, arriving on May 16, 1840. Mary and their 1st child, Elizabeth Jane, are thought to have joined him in the Galena, IL area in 1841, after a harrowing passage that included being shipwrecked in the West Indies. Henry and Mary bought 200 acres of land in Guilford Twp in 1844, and raised 14 children on the homestead. Henry died November 1, 1890. Mary Ann died November 17, 1903.

Lavinia May Bartell, their 8th child and 5th oldest daughter, married Samuel Richards of Guilford Twp. on Jan. 9, 1879. They had a son, Samuel Jr. After Samuel Sr.'s death in the early 1880s, Lavinia left for California with her brother Joseph's family. It is believed they settled in or around Napa / Napa Co, CA. There she met and married George Richards (also a Cornishman) in 1883 and they had at least 3 children, Jessie, Olive and Ruby. Lavinia Richards was listed as living in Grass Valley, CA in Henry's 1890 newspaper obit, and living in Chinese Camp, CA in her mother Mary's 1903 newspaper obit.

It is believed their descendants are presently living in the Grass Valley, Nevada Co, CA area. Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who can provide any information on Geo. and Lavinia Richards, and also on the Joseph Bartell / Elizabeth H. Ford Bartell family. Have much additional info and photos of Henry and Mary Bartell and the Bartell family that I would be happy to share.

Regards, Bill

Re: Seeking info on George and Lavinia (Bartell) Richards/Richards, and Joseph Bartell families

BJ Warle (View posts)
Posted: 1154954386000
Surnames: Bartell
My ggrandfather was a Bartell from Galena and he came from Cornwall---married Alice Kilgore whose roots were Scottish. Might be some relation.

Re: Seeking info on George and Lavinia (Bartell) Richards/Richards, and Joseph Bartell families

William Cook (View posts)
Posted: 1154986440000
Hello BJ,

Thanks very much for responding to my quiry. Possibly there is a relationship between your ggrandfather and the Bartell lineage I'm researching. Certainly the fact he was a Bartell from the Galena, IL area and came from Cornwall would tie closely to my Bartell family's history.

I'll make every effort to try to connect him with all the Bartell data I have. But need more info. Would you mind providing more specifics to a few questions? What was his full name? When was he born? Do you know the names of any of his siblings? Who were his parents? Do you know when he and Alice Kilgore were married, and where? How many children did they have and what were their names? When did he leave the Galena area and to where did he re-locate? What did he do for a living?

For future e-mailing I think it probably would be much easier to correspond by contacting me directly rather than thru the RootsWeb Message Board. My e-mail address is sammykailey@yahoo.com

I'll really look forward to hearing back from you. Have quite a bit of info and photos to share if we can establish a match.

Regards, Bill

Posted: 1518903413000
Interesting reading the above.

Per 1900 US Census for Joseph & Elizabeth children:
Ruby born in IA in 1881
Olive born in CA in 1884
Nellie born in CA in 1887
Sadie born in CA in 1890

Per
Per 1900 US Census for Lavinia & George Richards (Lavinias 2nd husband) for children:
States they have had 3 kids-2 living:
Jessie born in CA in June 1884
Olive born in CA in 1891

(Samuel Jr was the son of Samuel Sr., Lavinias 1st husband)

It appears that both Lavinia and Joseph had a daughter named Olive and that some records may be confused since they were born so close.

Jessie is the daughter of Lavinia and George (as Samuel died 2 yrs prior to her birth)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic