Search for content in message boards

Rollins family

Rollins family

Robert J. Stahl (View posts)
Posted: 1060381719000
Classification: Query
Surnames: ROLLINS
Looking for information and documents on the family of ROLLINS, first name of father likely, Joshua, maybe John or J.J., and mother is likely, Anna Wilson Rollins, and children, Alice E. (b. abt 1856), Robert (b. abt 1860), Charles (b. abt 1864), Nettie (b. abt 1868) and Ida Grace (b. abt 1872) - all believed were born in Carroll County. Believe family moved into Malvern area between 1850-56 from Culpeper, VA, and moved out of Malvern area sometime between 1872-1880 to Avoca, Pottawattamie County, Iowa. Joshua may have died and was buried in Carroll County prior to 1880, as Anna is in Avoca, Pottawattamie County, IA, in July 1880 with all the kids and no husband. A divorce in Carroll County is a slim possibility. Looking especially for information on Alice. Thanks Bob rjstahl@asu.edu

Alice eventually visited Western Indians, including the Apaches; became long time and good friend of Tom Jeffords, "blood brother" of Cochise, the Apache Chief; was among first single women stampeders in the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898; owned and worked placer gold claims in the Yukon and Arizona, published a book and several articles, and was the only white woman to visit Cochise's secret burial site. She was also a "new woman" as "feminists" were called in the 1880s and 90s, and was featured in a 1896 article in Leslie's Weekly Illustrated Magazine. She eventually married Frank D. Higbee (in 1877 in Iowa and again in 1880 in Chicago), L. P. Crane in Los Angeles (1894) and Victor Morajeski in the Yukon (1903).

Please forward to any individuals or agencies where additional records, information may be stored. Also please advise as to places to write for info and documents.

I am willing to pay reasonable fee for any documents, records, certificates, etc.

Re: Rollins family

Lynne Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 1078978246000
Surnames: ROLLINS; RUMERY
Arnold ROLLINS, b. abt 1800 , Ohio
He married a Caroline Rumery in Oct. 1842, in Sandusky Co. Ohio. (This is near a Carroll Township)

Are the above names in your database?:
bobnlynne@4hbc.com

Bob (View posts)
Posted: 1079043261000
I do not have Arnold Rollins.
Joshua J. Rollins was born in NY as was his wife Anne Elizabeth Rollins, and they married in Carroll County in 1855. Exact date that each moved to Malvern area is unknown, and not recorded whether they came with their families as children and lived in Malvern for awhile before getting married or they moved independently of one another and met in Malvern.
Both were born in the early 1830s. Joshua died in 1874 due to an accident in Malvern and is buried there. Anne remarried and lived until about 1917 when she died and is buried in Avoca, Iowa.
Thanks for the info, and maybe there is a relationship, as Arnold may have been Joshua's father or uncle.
Bob

Lynne Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 1079045970000
Thank you for responding. I thought you were talking about Carroll co. Ohio. My Arnold Rollins was born in Ohio and it doesn't appear that he ever left Ohio.

Bob (View posts)
Posted: 1079047003000
Lynne
I was talking about Carroll County, OH.
Joshua J. Rollins moved to Carroll County prior to 1855 marriage to Anne E. Wilson, who also moved to Carroll County prior to 1855 and married Joshua in 1855.
After Joshua's death in 1874, Anne took the kids and moved to Avoca, IA.
Now, whether Arnold was a relative of Joshua, I don't know. He could have been an uncle, cousin, etc. and stayed put in OH after Joshua's family moved on to Iowa.
To date, I have not located any details on Joshua's parent's names or the names of any of Joshua's brothers, uncles or cousins. That is why I suggested that 'your' Arnold and the Joshua Rollins I was researching might be relatives.
If your Arnold's parents or brothers lived in NY, then there might be a connection.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic