Search for content in message boards

"Murray" Spencer c.1895-on,b. Michigan---anyone familiar w/ this man?

"Murray" Spencer c.1895-on,b. Michigan---anyone familiar w/ this man?

Posted: 1562988938000
Classification: Query
Seek info on a "Murray" Spencer. He supposedly was from Michigan. In 1924 was in Calif., involved w/ a Miss Marie W. Wright. She had a son by "Murray", named Ralph Wilkinson Spencer, b. 1925, in San Diego, CA. I know ALL from Ralph,on down to today, but TRYING to FIND the elusive "Murray". No records on him, might be he used a middle or nickname of "Murray", when his real given 1st name was something else, therefore not locate-able in the Censuses. Only hoping SOMEONE out here Recognizes this couple & their son & maybe knows family info on said "Murray". Am attempting to push back the Spencer line to its origins, but need to know to Whom "Murray" was born, & when / where. Also if he married, later-on, & then had other kids--who was his wife, & children--as might be easier to trace back their dad's Spencers thru them as opposed to Murray, directly?! Any info or clues, at all, would be helpful. Marie & Ralph show-up in her mom's house in the 30s, & w/ her husband in 1940, in CA, but "Murray" is nowhere---even when I loosen the constraints on the Cenuses, w/ vague locations, dates, using just M initial, etc., I only find a "Maurice Murray Spencer" in Michigan & maybe 3 or 4 more "Murrays" in the entire U.S., but in wrong area of the country, or wrong era of yrs. lived, etc. Just stumped, so hoping some "family" members might see this & add to my knowledge of "Murray"! Thanks for Any assistance, at all!!! Diane M. Spencer

Re: "Murray" Spencer c.1895-on,b. Michigan---anyone familiar w/ this man?

Posted: 1563118309000
What is the source of the name "Murray"? Do you have a copy of Ralph Spencer's birth certificate?

Posted: 1563160232000
Edited: 1563160355000
There are several docs that All say "Murray".....Ralph's marriage record, his birth announcement in the San Diego newspaper, etc.
Here's the CA Marriage Index:
California, County Marriages, 1850-1952

birth:
marriage:
30 July 1945...this is his 2nd m.--his first was at age 18 (c.1943) to Miss Coralie Bergstrom (later Mrs. Louis EBEY).
Los Angeles, California, United States
father:
Murray Spencer
mother:
Marie W Wright
spouse:
Mary Catherine Mclean
ATTACHED IS BIRTH announcement in San Diego Union newspaper, on 25 Jan 1925, page 5, showing b. to Mr. & Mrs. MURRAY Spencer.
I still think he may have used another name for "legal" docs, like a Census. Also 2 more docs list him in conflicting states--1 says he was b. in Iowa, another says he was from Michigan. He may have stayed in Calif. after he & Marie split-up (sometime between 1925 & 1930,as she is living w/ her mom & Ralph in 1930 census), or he may have gone back to Michigan, Iowa or somewhere else, entirely, but no "Murrays" to be found, that "fit".
Attachments:

Posted: 1563195348000
Edited: 1563195549000
Surnames: Spencer
You should order an informational copy of Ralph's birth certificate. It could have more info regarding Murray, such as middle name, occupation, and age.

https://www.vitalchek.com/vital-records/california/californi...

Posted: 1563195686000
Surnames: Spencer
There's an actor Murray Spencer who is mentioned in San Diego newspapers in the 1920s; Have you ruled him out?

Posted: 1563200454000
Surnames: Wright, Spencer, Sweet
You probably already know this, but Marie Wright's marriage record to Ernest Sweet in 1933 says it's her first marriage.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L93H-HS7T-3...

Also see the front of that page.

Something doesn't fit though re: her saying it's her first marriage? If Ralph were illegitimate I doubt there would have been that birth announcement. Also, do you know when Marie began her teaching career? I think that if a teacher had an illegitimate child back then, she would have been fired.

It's POSSIBLE that the first marriage was annulled and thus legally "erased."

Posted: 1563247598000
thank u---great idea!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic