Search for content in message boards

Seeking information abt. James S. Bliss b. 1863-1865 in Ohio, West Virginia or Kentucky

Seeking information abt. James S. Bliss b. 1863-1865 in Ohio, West Virginia or Kentucky

Posted: 1473115189000
Classification: Query
I'm searching for an ancestor - my great, great grandfather name thought to be James Samuel Bliss, born in Ohio *though I"m not sure about 1863-1865. He was married to my great, great grandmother Ida and had at least two children with her in the mid and late 1880s. My search indicates some turmoil, and the two children William and Nora, were adopted by my great grandfather. I'd like to find the Bliss line for James. One newspaper article mentioned an alias of George Huffman. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Seeking information abt. James S. Bliss b. 1863-1865 in Ohio, West Virginia or Kentucky

Posted: 1484434506000
Surnames: Bliss, Simpson, Hoffman, Huffman, Scherhog
Hi Janet,
I may be able to help with this James Samuel (or Samuel James) Bliss mystery. If my records are correct:
His parents: Elenora "Nora" Simpson and Samuel S Bliss; married in 1864 in Hillsboro, Highland Co., OH. I don't know if he died or if they separated. Next she married my great-great grandfather: George J Hoffman, a barber, in Hillsboro.

James was raised by George and seems to have sometimes used the name George Hoffman as well as James Huffman, as you mention. It looks like he has quite a record of getting in trouble. George trained James as a barber.

I suspect that Nora was a bit difficult. At one point she abandoned her children in Cincinnati and they were taken to the hospital for care (like temporary shelter).

She and George Hoffman eventually separated. I was told by an aunt that Nora then married Leonard Scherhog. Nora died in 1907 in Cincinnati. I do not have death information for James's father, Samuel S Bliss.

I hope this helps!

Re: Seeking information abt. James S. Bliss b. 1863-1865 in Ohio, West Virginia or Kentucky

Posted: 1484451165000
I can't tell you how much this information means to me. I was really facing a brick wall and this has opened the door up to allow new information to surface. It's interesting to note the social issues and hardships our ancestors faced. Thank you for your kind assistance!

Posted: 1484509262000
Happy to help.
More articles on Chronicling America. One implies that he spent five years in jail. I have not traced further.
Good luck.
JO

Posted: 1500305092000
While I've now filled in a great deal of missing information, I still do not know what became of James Bliss. Unanswered questions: Did he spend the five years in prison; where are those prison records, why does he not show on any census records; when/where did he die; did he father any children in addition to the three known offspring?

Posted: 1526936460000
Surnames: bliss, Simpson, Colburn, hoffman
Thanks again for your help. I did track James S. Bliss to 1904 when he married a Julia Colburn. Nothing on either of them after that. Still a mystery.

Janet

Posted: 1531754056000
Hi, I just wanted to follow up with you that the information really has helped me. Through Ancestry and 23andMe DNA I have found other Bliss (and Simpson) relatives and some of the grey areas have been filled in. We have colorful ancestors - the Bliss family (Samuel's family) were circus performers! If you have any more information or stories about Nor I would really appreciate it.

Janet
per page

Find a board about a specific topic