Search for content in message boards

Downs of Limestone County Alabama

Downs of Limestone County Alabama

Posted: 1335128973000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Downs, Cobble
I am looking for information related to the Downs families of Limestone County Alabama. My primary interest is with Calvin Downs, who married my great-aunt Elsie Cobble.

Calvin M. Downs s/o Thomas Matthew Downs Jr. and Eliza Eveline Coffman

Calvin was b. 27 Nov 1893 in Lauderdale County Alabama.
He died on 27 Oct 1961 in Limestone County Alabama.

Married Elsie Cobble 10 Aug 1918 in Madison Co, Alabama.

Children include:

Homer Downs, Cora Maxie Downs, William Calvin Downs, Malon Downs, Bonnie Mae Downs and Sara Christine Downs
(all are deceased to my knowledge)

Re: Downs of Limestone County Alabama

Posted: 1335206366000
Thomas Matthew Downs (not Jr.) was my grgrgrandfather through his 1st wife Margret Roberts. He was the son of Thomas Lafayette Downs and Elizabeth McKinney. Thomas & Margret's daughter Lillian Mae Downs was my Great Grandmother.
The only thing I have on Calvin Downs is his birthdate, but I have that he was born in TN (resource is 1900 census, so may not be accurate).
What information are you looking for?
Kristi

Posted: 1335221072000
If you have any any basic genealogical data on the ancestors of Calvin Downs, I would appreciate whatever you might be able to provide.

I believe that I have identified the children of Cal and Elise but know nothing about any descendants of their children. I was hoping to find anything beyond what I already know. I will gladly send you anything I have that might be of benefit to your family history research.

I posted on the Cobble surname message board a year or so ago and have been contacted by two individuals seeking information on a brother and sister of gr-aunt Elsie Cobble. We were able to pool what each knew and get a better genealogical description of those individuals.

R. Cobble

Posted: 1360547250000
matthew and margarat downs are my great-great grandparents
thomas lewis downs brother to liiian is my great grandfather.His son Aymett downs is my grandfather.He when aymett was 1-2 years old.
This is the first information i have seen on Matthews
parents.I knew that Margarat was buried in Giles county
Tenn.I have a list of all children of Matthew and margarat
from 1880 cencus Giles county Tenn.Hope you will respond.
Jerral downs

Posted: 1360710353000
Surnames: Cobble Downs
Hi Jerral,

I have very little information on the Downs family other than what I have found to date. The following was found on an Ancestry.com family tree, so you have take it face value until it can be verified.

Name: Thomas Matthew Downs , Jr. was born 22 MAY 1840 in Marion County, AL and died on 10 DEC 1900 in Anderson, Limestone, AL He is buried at Legg Cemetery in Limestone County.

His 1st wife was Margaret Roberts and she was born 22 SEP 1840 in Tennessee. Date of her death unknown. They married 5 MAR 1865 (location not known) and had 9 children between 1865 and 1884. included in those children are Lillian N Downs born 1871 in Giles County, TN and Thomas L Downs born 1873 in Giles County, TN.

His 2nd wife was Eliza Eveline Coffman and she was born on 15 DEC 1867 in Limestone County, AL They married on 4 APR 1889. They 6 children, one of whom was Calvin M. Down, the husband of my great Aunt Elsie Cobble.

I have some census information but nothing significant. When I posted sometime back, I had 2 purposes: Locate any of Calvin and Elsie living descendants and second, verify what little information I have been able to find.

I will share with you what I do have and some possible leads for additional information, Feel free to contact me:ronco@knology.net

Ron Cobble

Posted: 1360728148000
Surnames: Downs
Ron, I'm sorry, I intended to get in touch with you on the Downs information that I have. If you don't mind, I need to clarify some of the information you posted.

Thomas Matthew Downs (Find A Grave Memorial# 39541931) is buried in Mitchell Cemetery, in Rogersville, AL, but his daughter, Lillian Mae Downs Griggs (Find A Grave Memorial# 16450788) is buried in Legg Cemetery.

Margret Roberts Downs (Find A Grave Memorial# 14445781) d: 13 Jun 1888, and is buried in Roberts Cemetery in Giles Co., TN.

I do not have any information on the children of Thomas Matthew Downs and Eliza Coffman, other than their names and birth/death dates, if that much.

I hope this will help with your research. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at tnvalleygenealogy@charter.net.

Kristi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic